• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

A Gentleman of the road.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
A friend bought a small house in the Cotswolds as was told that it came with a resident tramp
this old guy used to call once every 3 months, his wife would fill his flask and give him some food and he was on his way
nice and polite and never settled down

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and seeing his face leering over you and the missus from the foot of the bed. All quiet like but with a strange look in his eye.

It's getting dark now so I'm off to bed.... sleep well.
It would be the most exciting thing thats happened in our bedroom in ages .

I've mentioned here before..tramp died in Leeds before Christmas, lived under Neville St dark arches.
"Geordie". Never begged..didn't even have the obligatory dog. Was quite common to see him "holding court" though as regular passers-by chatted with him - and treated him with the respect he gave us.

There was a bit of a cringeworthy candlelit ceremony to mark his passing. Then a sort of shrine took place by his spot. It lasted about a month. No other tramp has taken that spot although...there's an 'incomer' in a fancy bivvy type thing opposite and just down a bit. Not too sure about him yet - we haven't been formally introduced - by way of him being out of his bivvy when I pass at 06:30 in the morning..

A friend bought a small house in the Cotswolds as was told that it came with a resident tramp
this old guy used to call once every 3 months, his wife would fill his flask and give him some
how tall was he?

@Joshua Slocum rather than liking the post..... answer the question!

When I was about 14... He must’ve been 40 odd but would always say hi.... Anyway we eventually became mates (as much as a 14 year old kid can be mates with a 40ish year old bloke) ... Sensing that he was fairly lonely I invited him back to mine one day for a cuppa....
You're in a safe space now @Ravers , anything else you need to get off your chest?

this old guy used to call once every 3 months, his wife would fill his flask and give him some food and he was on his way
nice and polite and never settled down
I heard JCorby goes hill walking around there....just sayin'.

I've got childhood memories of a tramp living at the far end of Swanage beach the one closest to Old Harry

Whilst not a tramp in the traditional sense as he had a wooden hut hidden in some undergrowth, with no electricity, gas or running water he might as well have been

He looked some kind of pirate, and was the tramp equivalent of a crazy cat lady as he had a lot of cats

A nice bloke that just wanted to live apart from the world, I always wonder what happened to him
He was known locally as Dick 'The fish' and worked as crew on a local inshore commercial fishing boat (crabs/lobsters) owned by a chap I know.
He was a tall, skinny bloke always dressed in black and wore a leather, wide-brimmed hat with a small, horned skull on the front.
My family has owned a house on the cliffs above that beach for 50+ years.
As a kid , inquisitiveness got the better one day as he walked past me on the beach towards town so I went looking for his home. Made a lovely job of beach rocks, stuff washed up, a few nails and a bag of cement. All that remains today is the hearth and chimney.

When I was about 14 I had a paper round, occasionally on my route I’d bump into a black guy also doing the papers.

He must’ve been 40 odd but would always say hi.

Given that I was earning 12 quid a week doing this, he can’t have been on much more.

Anyway we eventually became mates (as much as a 14 year old kid can be mates with a 40ish year old bloke) and managed to swap a few deliveries to shorten our routes (he worked for a different shop).

Sensing that he was fairly lonely I invited him back to mine one day for a cuppa.

Anyway turned out he was a bit tapped in the head, mild learning difficulties from some sort of brain trauma or something. He span some outlandish stories and claimed to have once owned a Jag. He slept rough and just did the papers to make enough money to eat. He seemed happy enough with his life.

Lovely bloke but I always had an inkling that he was only a few seconds from flipping out and murdering me and my parents.
David Lammy?

There's charities supplying the " homeless" with tents, clothing, duvets, and they even have hot food delivered to their tents. The public are giving them M&S food, and Costa Coffees.

Its a total surprise that the number is growing, what could be causing it ?

There was an old guy who lived in the woods at Quendon, at the side of the road from Stansted Mountfitchet to Saffron Walden, he died in 2009 after contracting gangrene from frostbite. I remember seeing him a few times as I drove past, the locals used to give him food and clothes but it seems the winter eventually got him.

'Man in the woods' dies, aged 77

I've got childhood memories of a tramp living at the far end of Swanage beach the one closest to Old Harry

Whilst not a tramp in the traditional sense as he had a wooden hut hidden in some undergrowth, with no electricity, gas or running water he might as well have been

He looked some kind of pirate, and was the tramp equivalent of a crazy cat lady as he had a lot of cats

A nice bloke that just wanted to live apart from the world, I always wonder what happened to him
He died................