A Gentleman of the road.

ISTR that there was a lot of Vietnam veterans who took to this hills
My dad told me that many of the tramps in the 20’s and 30’s were ex servicemen who never settled back into society after WW1, hence tramps rather than vagrants. His dad, my grandfather, had a grocers shop and often gave away stuff which was ‘tired’ to these men, not out of pity but because he was a soft bloke. My dad remembers most as well spoken, polite and proud.

My dad told me that many of the tramps in the 20’s and 30’s were ex servicemen who never settled back into society after WW1, hence tramps rather than vagrants. His dad, my grandfather, had a grocers shop and often gave away stuff which was ‘tired’ to these men, not out of pity but because he was a soft bloke. My dad remembers most as well spoken, polite and proud.

I wouldn't say soft, more compassionate.......... the amount of tortured souls that came back from that hell, when PTSD wasn't even recognised........

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When I was about 14 I had a paper round, occasionally on my route I’d bump into a black guy also doing the papers.

He must’ve been 40 odd but would always say hi.

Given that I was earning 12 quid a week doing this, he can’t have been on much more.

Anyway we eventually became mates (as much as a 14 year old kid can be mates with a 40ish year old bloke) and managed to swap a few deliveries to shorten our routes (he worked for a different shop).

Sensing that he was fairly lonely I invited him back to mine one day for a cuppa.

Anyway turned out he was a bit tapped in the head, mild learning difficulties from some sort of brain trauma or something. He span some outlandish stories and claimed to have once owned a Jag. He slept rough and just did the papers to make enough money to eat. He seemed happy enough with his life.

Lovely bloke but I always had an inkling that he was only a few seconds from flipping out and murdering me and my parents.

Anyway turned out he was a bit tapped in the head, mild learning difficulties from some sort of brain trauma or something. He span some outlandish stories and claimed to have once owned a Jag. He slept rough and just did the papers to make enough money to eat. He seemed happy enough with his life.

Lovely bloke but I always had an inkling that he was only a few seconds from flipping out and murdering me and my parents.
I think theres a few Arrsers who fit his description,

Well done WW. Our world needs more of what you have done!

I remember loads of these fellows (and ladies) when I was younger. But I can't remember seeing any true Tramp since the late 80s early 90s. There were a few regulars in Edinburgh. One, a lady, was reputed - I think with fairly reasonable cause - to be a Romanov Princess who escaped the revolution and came to Scotland with nothing and ended up 'on the road'. I always thought she had the smallest head I had ever seen, but this was really just because she had so many coats on. Another, known as Penny, wore the most enormous gum boots and an old tin hat. He was a lovely man who always had a smile and a wave for people who passed by. The last one, was a polish man who had come over during the war, but died, I think, when some young thugs thought they were having a laugh and set fire to him.

We spent the afternoon in the garden helping to clean up the flowerbeds and chatting, got some intel from him ,that is for a later post. Doug was born 1950, left home and "dropped out " in the '70's and has mainly been on the road ever since and has covered most of the United Kingdom , on foot. He has never used a mobile phone , the internet let alone mobile internet . He reckons he will leave Thursday morning.
Tonight we are having a lamb joint and a glass or two of cider, two things he hasnt had in a while ,proper meat and alcohol
I think Mrs WW and the goats can sleep safely tonight

One more unrelated thing, Thanks for the like ACAB , glad to see you're still with us
I had a friend that would let a Hobo help out on his land - he had let him camp and fed/paid him for some work and chatted a little. All was peachy until he gave the bloke a 6 pack one evening... He went batshit once the alcohol passed his lips and he trashed the place looking for booze/money etc. he came back a few years later and apparently couldn't remember the incident... my friend did.

We had a chap living in a tent on the central reservation of Wolverhampton's ring road for 30 years - he died some years ago. Plainly had serious mental health problems, but was well known locally and, I think, looked upon affectionately.

Truth about ring road tramp Fred
Another immigrant coming over here, taking our tramps jobs.

A firm believer in "wot goes round comes round" here. That and the knowledge that fate is a fickle mistress.
@wheelchairwarrier - good on you. May it come back tenfold.

I think theres a few Arrsers who fit his description,
Ah. Erm...outlandish stories, tapped in the head, learning difficulties or dangerously unstable ? Or combinations thereof ?

There was also a Colchester bypass tramp, at the end of the 1990s. He would walk purposefully in one direction only suddenly to turn round and walk purposefully the other way, then repeat. But he seemed to stick to the same part of the Colchester bypass (leading out towards the University and Wivenhoe, IIRC).

I've got childhood memories of a tramp living at the far end of Swanage beach the one closest to Old Harry

Whilst not a tramp in the traditional sense as he had a wooden hut hidden in some undergrowth, with no electricity, gas or running water he might as well have been

He looked some kind of pirate, and was the tramp equivalent of a crazy cat lady as he had a lot of cats

A nice bloke that just wanted to live apart from the world, I always wonder what happened to him

Imagine waking up in the middle of the night and seeing his face leering over you and the missus from the foot of the bed. All quiet like but with a strange look in his eye.

It's getting dark now so I'm off to bed.... sleep well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
goatbagthedruid Officers 32
S Films, Music and All Things Artsy 3
Gas Gas Gas Officers 52