A game of nailseness top trumps

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by scousadan, May 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Greetings arrse's

    I have just watched one of the best documentaries ever. It was all about the legendary battle of Mirbat, where basically a small group of 9 SAS soldiers defended the port of Mirbat, from a 250+ strong force of Adoo guerrillas.

    So it's got me thinking lets get a decent lil thread goin'. Were we can just post stories of extreme valour and bravery. I'll get the ball rolling, Sergeant Talaiasi Labalaba. For his part in the battle of Mibrat.


    At 6 am on 19 July 1972 the PFLOAG attacked the British Army Training Team (BATT) house, which housed the nine SAS soldiers, based just outside the Port of Mirbat. The PFLOAG (locally known as the Adoo) attacked the SAS BATT house knowing that to be able to reach the Port of Mirbat they would first have to defeat the SAS guarding the approach to the town in Jebel Ali, a series of small desert slopes leading to the Port.

    The Officer in Command, Captain Mike Kealy observed the waves advancing on the fort, but did not order his men to open fire because he thought it was the "Night Picket" coming back from night shift, which were a loyal group of the Omani Army positioned on the slopes to warn the BATT house of Adoo troop movements. Realising that the Night Picket must have been killed, due to them not warning the SAS of the assault Mike Kealy ordered his men to open fire. Mike Kealy along with other members of the team took up positions behind the sand-bag parapet on the roof of the BATT house, firing at the Adoo with SLR 7.62mm assault rifles, with one man firing the .50 Browning M2 Heavy Machine Gun, with a further two men on ground level operating and firing an infantry mortar surrounded by sand-bags.

    The Adoo were armed with AK47 assault rifles, and were mortar bombing the area around the BATT house. Kealy ordered the signaller to establish communications with SAS Headquarters at Um al Quarif, to request reinforcements. There were also a small number of Omani Intelligence Service personnel in the BATT House, a small contingent of Pakistani soldiers and a member of British Military Intelligence seconded to the OIS who joined the team on the roof and fired on the Adoo with SLRs and other small arms. Initially some of the Pakistani soldiers were reluctant to join the defense of the fort because their roles with the BATT were largely administrative, but they obeyed orders from Mike Kealy and the British Military Intelligence Corporal.

    Knowing that the SLRs would not be of full use until the Adoo were closer than the weapon's range of 800 metres, and lacking more heavy firepower, Sergeant Talaiasi Labalaba made a run for the 25 Pounder Artillery Piece which was positioned next to a smaller fort which stationed nine Omani Army Special Forces soldiers, who had not played a part in the battle.Talaiasi Labalaba managed to operate the weapon, which is a three-man job, himself and fire a round a minute at the approaching Adoo, directing their attention away from the BATT house. Kealy received a radio message from Talaiasi reporting that a bullet had skimmed his face, and was bady injured, and was struggling to operate the gun by himself. At the BATT house Kealy asked for a volunteer to run to Talaiasi's aid. Sergeant Sekonaia Takavesi voluntered to go.

    Sekonaia Takavesi ran from the BATT house, with the remaining men providing covering fire, in an attempt to distract the Adoo. Sekonaia ran the 800 metres through heavy gunfire, and reached the gun emplacement. Sekonaia tried to give aid to his injured friend, while firing at the approaching Adoo with his personal weapon. Realising that they needed help, Sekonaia tried to raise the small number of Omani soldiers inside the smaller fort, and Walid Khamis emerged. The remaining Omani soldiers in the fort engaged the enemy with small arms fire from firing positions on the roof and through the windows of the fort.

    As the two men made it back to the emplacement, the Omani soldier fell dead after being shot in the stomach with a 7.62 mm bullet. Adoo continued to advance upon the BATT house, and artillery emplacement. At one point, the Adoo were so close Sekonaia and Talaiasi fired the weapon at point blank range, aiming down the barrel. Talaiasi crawled across a small space to reach a 60 mm Infantry Mortar, but fell dead after being shot in the neck. Sekonaia, also shot through the shoulder continued to fire at the approaching Adoo with his personal weapon. The squad signaller sent messages through to the main Forward Operating Base, to request air support and medical evacuation for the men in the gun emplacement.

    Captain Kealy and Trooper Tobin began the run to the artillery piece. On reaching it they both dived in to avoid the heavy gunfire which had intensified, due to the Adoo fighting harder to overrun the emplacement. Sekonaia still continued to fire on the approaching Adoo, propped up against sand bags after being shot through the stomach, narrowly missing his spine. The Adoo threw several hand grenades, but all failed to detonate, except one which exploded behind the emplacement causing no injury. Trooper Tobin reached over the body of Talaiasi, but while doing so was hit in the face by a bullet and fell mortally wounded. By this time, the Omani Air Force had arrived, and began strafing the Adoo in the Jebel Ali, and dropping a 500 lb bomb where they were taking refuge. Reinforcements arrived from G Squadron and, defeated, the PFLOAG withdrew at about 12:30 pm. All wounded SAS soldiers were evacuated, and given medical treatment.

    The 25-pounder gun, now known as the "Mirbat gun" which was used by Fijian, Sergeant Talaiasi Labalaba during the siege is now housed in the Firepower museum of the Royal Artillery at the former Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Sgt Labalaba was killed in action. He displayed notable bravery by continuing to fire the 25-pounder (which normally required a crew of four to six men) although seriously wounded. Labalaba's actions helped to keep the insurgents pinned down until a relief force arrived. Labalaba was awarded a posthumous Mention in Dispatches for his actions in the Battle of Mirbat, although some of his former comrades have campaigned for him to be awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross.
  2. Ill see your long story.
    And raise you

    his many tales of derring do are more nails than anything.
  3. F uck Lababala,and F uck Heno.

    I raise you these pair of hardcore muthafukas.....

    Attached Files:

  4. Gremlin

    Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

    If you are going to C&P from wiki of all places, you could at least provide the reference for your data, and more to the point post the whole article.

    The final section is just as interesting as the story of the battle:

  5. I once told my rasman to fcuk off. That was considered pretty nails at the time.
  6. My mistake I meant to put the link in the bottom honest. :D

    edited the original post
  7. I will see all of you and raise you a Mike Golden.

    Winnings please?
  8. Cheers mate golden shower me why don't ya. 8O
  9. rampant

    rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    I see your Golden and raise you the Baron! :D

  10. Gadzouks, ive been had by the right honorable!
  11. rampant

    rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

    New round then, I give the Gordon Highlanders in the march to Kandahar, including racing the Gurkhas for the Guns:



    (4 VCs)

  12. Thats more like it mate. :D

    I'll add some more tommorow, im off to bed.
  13. Harold's march to Stamford Bridge. Then the return

    Proper nails
  14. Nails, my arrse.

    I'll give you nails, and a firebell.

    Dale is nails. Fight me.