A Game of Birds and Wolves

A Game of Birds and Wolves

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
"One retired Naval Captain. Ten brilliant young women. Ninety days until the UK faced defeat. Never told before, this is the true story of the secret strategy unit and their invented wargame that won the second world war."

So, I became aware of this book prior to its publication, as I was chatting about gaming with someone who happens to feature in the book, and told me the story. It sounded fascinating and as it happens, Auld Yin had a copy for review which he kindly sent me...

Click here to read the full review.....

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Great review for a wonderful book. I reviewed this for SOLDIER Magazine and put it as my book of the year 2019.

It is a fascinating story and as Daxx says allows the story of these intelligent and hard working WRNS. At the end of the war there were no decorations for them, the glory going to the ships officers that they instructed.

It was this team that realised U-Boats were actually entering the convoy lines to sink ships and devised the tactics to stop it. As U-Boat tactics changed these ladies, under a retired Naval Captain, worked out how to counter them and taught these new tactics ship Captains and officers.

A much more under recognised group of people it would be hard to find.

Get the book, it is a good one.

Great review for a wonderful book. I reviewed this for SOLDIER Magazine and put it as my book of the year 2019.

It is a fascinating story and as Daxx says allows the story of these intelligent and hard working WRNS. At the end of the war there were no decorations for them, the glory going to the ships officers that they instructed.

It was this team that realised U-Boats were actually entering the convoy lines to sink ships and devised the tactics to stop it. As U-Boat tactics changed these ladies, under a retired Naval Captain, worked out how to counter them and taught these new tactics ship Captains and officers.

A much more under recognised group of people it would be hard to find.

Get the book, it is a good one.

Think I've seem a review of this somewhere on ARRSE?

Book club review in November

Last edited:
It's a great book, and certainly adds to our understanding of the Western Approaches and the Battle of the Atlantic. Much of what they understood and re-creating in Liverpool is still of direct benefit now. Indeed, it might be useful for all of us if we took operational analysis a little more seriously, and then put into place rigorous tactics rather than just gut feeling and confident bluffing (paging @jrwlynch ...).

And the wider impact of the employment of women on the "front line", and how we worked quite hard to airbrush them out once the men return is also worthy of understanding - not least because it also happened post-WW1.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a great book, and certainly adds to our understanding of the Western Approaches and the Battle of the Atlantic. Much of what they understood and re-creating in Liverpool is still of direct benefit now.
Some of the detailed work done to research and try to publicise, is reported here and also here. The recreation of a WATU exercise is here.

Disclaimer - I was a small part of Paul Strong's team on the recreation of the WATU exercise for the dress rehearsal at Collingwood, and Paul's a friend I've learned a lot from down the years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AlienFTM The Book Club 3
Social_Handgrenade Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 25
M The NAAFI Bar 1

Latest Threads