A friends daughter wants to leave the army

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by AnglianGuard, Oct 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After just over a year she has become disolusioned with the army and no longer feels its for her. What does she do? My friend is willing to "buy" his daughter out but asked me if I knew anthing about it. Sadly I dont have any uptodate knowlege on the subject.

He only found out very recently that his daughter had decided enough was enough, she may well be posted to Iraq soon, so I dont know if that could make her leaving more difficult?

I expect things may have changed since we were in (late 1980 - early 1990s), does anyone have any first hand knowlege they could share?

Does anyone know the standard steps to be taken & have any idea of the cost?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

2. She signed for a minimum of 3 years so I doubt very much wether she can buy herself out.

3. has she completed phase 2 training ?
    if so has her unit been warned for op's

4. You cannot pay out anymore unless you joined before '93 I think, I joined in '97 and I wasn't allowed to. The only way out to the best of my knowledge is through some sort of admin discharge. Getting caught on CDT is the main reason for this but then future employment chances are hindered. I knew a lad who went AWOL and the OC applied for him to be discharged under services no longer required but that was a one off. I personally would get some advice from either Army welfare service or the Padre, people often dont realise how influential Padre's are, they hold a lot of weight within units.

5. Reminds me of the Blackadder II sketch "oh please daughter, wont you go on the make, the hours are good..."

6. I would say what I say to anyone in this situation - wait and see. After just a year it is very easy to become disillusioned, after all it's a big transition from civilian to soldier, and one which most serving soldiers can sympathetically relate to. It could also be rank related, as she may not like being bottom of the food chain. Even if she signs off now, she will still have the best part of a year to soldier on, after which she may find herself starting to enjoy it.

7. In your honest opinion is she war dodging???

8. Doubt she can get out earlier than 3 years, unless fails a drugs test. Tell her soldier on and give it a go.

9. Is your mate ex army??? Somebody needs to be having a few choice words with her. Nobody had sympathy for my Old man when he wanted to get out. He stuck with it got sent to BFG and Loved it. Stayed in for years. She has probably got bored of being stuck in Catterick and recieving fat arrse jokes. She'll cope!

10. Isnt it a minimum of 4 years being able to sign off at three serving a years notice so in effect doing 4 years??

11. Firstly, she is on an Open Engagement (came into effect Jan 1991), therefore, she has no PVR eligiablity and canno't "buy herself out" she must do a minimum engagement of 4 years, she can sign off (give her 12 months notice) at the 3 year point, is she under 18.5 years old, if so she could be within her DAOR (Discharge as of right) point, between 18 and 18.5 years of age she can have her parants write a letter to her CO stating that little Jenny is unhappy with service life and you, the parants, would like her discharged, (admin discharge that carries no stigma), once the DAOR point has been passed she's stuck unless she gets another job in the Public Sector i.e. police force, ambulance service etc, even then the application must go to a special PVR board at APC Glasgow (only 3 per year) to decide, Queens Regs refers, if she has been warned off for Op's she will be restricted, she can still sign off (as most Op Tours are 6 - 7 months in duration) but she will be unable to discharge during the Op Tour, this will/should have been published in her unit Part One Orders, I sugest that she now talks to her C of C.

12. Correct. It is. Changed in 2000.

13. Thanks to everyone for their help. I am seeing him tonight for a few jars, so will let him know. I have printed the info posted out for him to read through. I know he is under 20, so maybe he could write a letter and get a solicitor involved so the letter has some legal weight (that's if she is still of the right age for this to be done). It's worth a try.

We enjoyed our time in the RAR but those were different times when we followed British foreign policy rather than American.

I thought I'd heard that the rules had changed on leaving, but had no real info to give him and I hate to mislead with dis-information especially were a mans family is concerned. If I dont know something I am the first to say I dont know, but I will try and find out. :D

14. Sorry, she is overage for that option, looks like she must soldier on or go out for another reason (Admin (including discipine), Medical etc), One more option I can think off, there is a department at Land called DM(A), the Directorate of Manning (Army), there is an RO2/3 that works there who deals with discharge authorities for soldiers, if her unit is willing to support a case directed to them, and they support it, this could be one more option.

15. Appoligies I read wrong thought you said over 20, anyway, like I said if she is over 18.5 then she has passed her DAOR and Parant Letter Writting Point.