A Football Player Talking Sense

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by BadNewsBrown, May 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I noticed this write up this morning, it impressed me:

Legend
    Windass also played down his role as Hull's hero as he established himself in the club's folklore with his Wembley winner.

"Someone said to me I was a legend, but legends are people who fight in wars or look after the country," added Windass.

"We get paid for playing football. I don't like the word legend, we are trying to do our best in our job.

2. Mrs JD read that and said she was going to support Hull next season even though she has no interest in footy. Me being an Evertonian just nodded in agreement.

3. Very nice to see some perspective - well done him! I'm sure there are many footballers who think the way he does, though unfortunately it's the self-obsessed ones who believe their own press who get the column inches.

4. This is good to hear. Mr Windass I apologise for ever mocking your surname.

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

The full comment here
    Well done DW about time Motty and some of the commentators followed suit

When asked what it felt like to gain legendary status among the fans, the Hull-born striker said: "I'm not a legend. People use that word too much in football and I don't like it.

"I don't like that phrase because you get people like those who go and fight for the country in Iraq and those sorts of places, and I get paid a lot of money just to kick a football about.
    "They are the real legends, the real heroes. Not people like me, and I don't want to be called that."

6. And he used to play for Aberdeen :D

7. sent off as i recall

8. Shame he never really got the chance at a top side. Chris Kamara once said stick him in Real Madrid and he'll get 20 a season!!

Quality, even though he was crap at 'Boro

9. Is this the first sensible article the mail has ever done?

Well said Deano!

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I believe he was rejected by the Mighty Cambridge United.

11. Windass' career has come full circle, having started as a trainee at Hull and signing his first professional contract there. He has also played for Aberdeen, Oxford United, Bradford City, Middlesbrough, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United. He is seen as a controversial player, once being sent off three times in a game for Aberdeen, as well as grabbing another opponent's testicles while at Bradford City, but also is Bradford's third highest scorer of all-time.

12. Dean Windass has obviously taken a leaf from the legendary shy and retiring Cashley Coles book then.

13. :? How do you get sent off 3 times in the SAME game?

14. The quote reminds me of Tiger Woods. He was asked about how it felt to be a role model to african-americans etc etc and he said "hey, I'm a golfer". Unlike all these other actors and sports stars who think that because they have been successful in one field they are automatically the arbiters of philosophy that we should all bow down to.