A fool and his money.... or just a scamming twat!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Hellmans, Dec 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, tis the season of goodwill and desperate parents with small budgets and demanding kids.

So, faced with the prospect of a cheap laptop or Ipad2 would they jump at teh chance of a buy it now price on fleabay?

Well some did, only to find out it's an auction for a photo of a laptop, a bargain at £400!

So, a fool and his money or a scamming twat?

Apple MC721 15" Macbook Pro Laptop | eBay

The description as written (you'll need to scroll down for a while!

Hi thanks for looking this is my apple mac book air for sale

Grab yourself a bargin
    Happy bidding,

Must state I am selling my mac book photo !!

2. Scam - I'm sure if it's reported the bay will sort it out.

3. Soggy4978

Soggy4978 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Trade descriptions and all that, he did technically inform prospective customers that he is only selling a photo. Certainly it could have been made clearer in the title of the auction but I'm pretty sure he covered his arse from a strictly legal standpoint.

4. SCAM SPAM or Scam Scam? You choose.

5. Wasn't there a scam where folk bought 'antique furniture' cheaply of eBay thinking they were getting a bargain only to receive dolls house furniture through the post? The seller got away with it by hiding the scale somewhere in the description.

It actually may be an urban myth but I do like the story.

6. Must say I had an "oh shit" moment because I just spent the best part of a thousand quid on one for the mrs.

7. What? A photo? :)

8. It's been done before

Attached Files:

9. yep, he has two or three on the go, quick bucks, shut down paypal, sorted

Twat

10. I remember reading many years ago that someone would advertise in the sunday papers, just before Christmas.......

"Lovely framed metal engraving of Her Majesty, the Queen."......

Five Guineas.

They'd get a tiny wooden frame with a half crown stuck in it.

Nothing changes.

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nah, sorry but I cant agree. Caveat Emptor. The term "A fool and his money are soon parted" was first quoted by Thomas Tusser in 1570 in his poem "Five hundred points of Good Husbandry".

And without fools to part from their money we should all be reduced to farming or something equally dreary.

12. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Some people don't even bother to disguise the fact that they're selling something different - they just pretend they have umpteem copies of MW3, create an ad, collect their PayPal money and disappear. This is what happened to Mrs Cameron a few weeks ago when she went to buy it for one of my Xmas pressies. Along with 20-odd others who were never to hear from her again:

BNIB Xbox 360 Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3 COD MW3 | eBay

Fortunately we got our money back from eBay.

God knows how eBay will get their money back from her though. Not that I care...