A fifth of teachers back the return of corporal punishment

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by smartascarrots, Oct 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC LINK

Well, well. Looks like there's some common sense at the chalkface after all. No surprise that the NUT is dead against it.

From a personal perspective, we see young people coming to Uni badly prepared for study; they have little or no practical experience in shifting for themselves and getting them to focus on studies is a real chore for the academic staff. Bear in mind that we're a highly selective institution and I can only imagine the problems those lower down the food chain experience.

One thing I was surprised at was the objections amongst Primary School teachers. Surely those pupils are the very ones least susceptible to reasoned explanation and most in need of a hard line. As the twig is bent, and so forth.

2. Never did me any harm. I've been into S&M since age 7.

3. Me too. Their school trousers were particularly good, IIRC.

4. 1 in 5 teachers may back it but I'd bet 5 in 5 human rights lawyers back it. It'd be a massive earner for them in the Euro courts.

Best to start by giving teachers some practical methods of punishing kids. Currently, there is absolutely nothing that they can do. They can't force kids into detention and it seems to be virtually impossible to get them expelled, even if they're extremely violent.

Some sort of borstal might be the way to go with wayward kids. Let them go home at night, if they're good. If not, they get to stay the night in a dormitory in the bottom bunk below a fledgling axe murderer who wets the bed. For the really naught boys, there's always the threat of a trip to the greenhouse!

5. Some sort of borstal might be the way to go with wayward kids. Let them go home at night, if they're good. If not, they get to stay the night in a dormitory in the bottom bunk below a fledgling axe murderer who wets the bed. For the really naught boys, there's always the threat of a trip to the greenhouse![/quote]

I seem to remember from my distant youth being threatened with "Reform School" if ever I got found out. I believe they were like low key borstals for.
    On another level, a mate of mine, in the late 50s, was caught in villainy and sentenced to 24 hours at a sort of attendance centre. For 12 weeks on a Saturday morning he had to go and do an hour's PT and an hour's carpentry. He hated it but still ended up in Borstal.

6. Get ém back in on a Sat and Sun for a bit of remedial work.

If they don´t turn up, for any reason, then off to Borstal for a month. 3rd offence in a year sees them in Borstal for the reamainder of that year. Second time for the rest of their school life.

That will learn them, and the bruises can heal by the time they return to the "world". :twisted:

Every county could have a slack handful of tempory borstals(reform schools), and permanent borstals.

Young Offenders would go to different borstals.

Likewise, suspended students could end up there (after a number of incidents), and all expelled students would go to Borstal by default.

Borstal would be a true military style lifestyle. Early to rise, late to bed, all good charachter building stuff.

7. Some LEA's have attendence centres that are supposed to do this role, I have got to hand it to the staff, they are saints , but by the time you "go centre" in most cases you appear irrediamable.

Trotsky

8. I knew Cpl Punishment, I wish he'd return as well, the cnut owes me £100.

I heard he was posted (Assigned :roll: ) to 27 Regt RLC in 02, does anyone know him?

9. Who's going to staff that?!

10. As I've said elsewhere here, I got all my schooling in Scotland in the 70s. The belt, tawse, whatever one cares to call it, was a fact of life. Rather more for boys than girls, but girls were not immune. I don't reckon it did any harm. Now, in Central Europe, especially amongst older people who went to school in Communist times, well, to say they are shocked when I tell them that was a usual part of school life, is an understatement. They definitely were doing something right, because when I came here shortly after the fall of said regime, young people were decent and respectable. Not so now, as they slide into the routines and "values" which are the "civilised world". Maybe the threats, passive and implied though they may have been sometimes, from the regime upon parents filtered down, but I'm inclined to believe that at root, from day one in school, kids were inculcated with a few values that are worth inculcating. No violence necessary.

11. A spokesperson for the National Union of Teachers said today;

"The remaining 75% are very much against it"

:D

12. It should be there as a deterent,if you cross the line you're gonna get it.

Unfortunately as we are not even allowed to give our own kids a fcukin good and proper bashin at home when they misbehave,there's no way they're going to allow the teachers to hit our kids with a stick.

13. According to studies, caning perverts the mind of both the beater and the beaten.

Just one more reason to bring it back.

14. Given the kicking I'd have given any teacher who tried something like that with me, I can't see it as a way forward. Also worth wondering if those one in five are the same one in five who can't teach for shit. The first senior school I want to the teachers presided over an animal house, but in the second it was, aside from the odd cheeky git and scuffle, great. The difference was the teacher: 9-3:15 holiday grabing card-stampers in the first, (mostly) diamonds who really cared in the second.

15. Ah, yes. I remember the glint in the eye and the lump in the trousers of the deputy head as he swung his treasured weapon aloft.

We shouldn't react with violence. This is retrograde. Let's keep on the road to eventual civilisation and not go back there, please.