A few wise words from the great man himself.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EAGLE1, Dec 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I for one have always respected the great man Sir Winston Churchill.
    we would not be writing here on arrse if it was not for this great leader.

Here is just one of his statements. Please feel free to add some more of his genuine ones:

"It is the habit of the boa constrictor to besmear the body of his victim with a foul slime before he devours it; and there are many people in England, and perhaps elsewhere, who seem to be unable to contemplate military operations for clear political objects, unless they can cajole themselves into the belief that their enemy are utterly and hopelessly vile… This may be very comforting to philanthropic persons at home; but when an army in the field becomes imbued with the idea that the enemy are vermin who cumber the earth, instances of barbarity may very easily be the outcome. This unmeasured condemnation is moreover as unjust as it is dangerous and unnecessary".

Sir Winston churchill.

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Are we talking Winston Churchill the statesman, author, Prime Minister and Nobel laureate? Or Winston 'Dezzy' Churchill who runs that fruit and veg shop down Tooting Bec?

Because if its the latter he once told me how you tell if a water melon is ripe. But I cant remember what he said. We were both pissed.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Know him well Your Grace, I believe one of his best ever quotes was:

"Nar then, less be 'avin yew, King hedwards, arnley the best
    2 paarnds fur a paarnd."

What a raconteur!

4. Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
    "Sir, if you were my husband I would flavour your coffee with poison"
    Churchill: "Madam, if I were your husband, I would drink it"

5. Dear old Dezzie from Tooting. What memories come flooding back.
    I remember visiting his fruit and veg stall once and asking him for five pounds of spuds. 'Will yer tike King Edwards guvnor' he said. 'No' says I, 'Ee can come an' get ees own'. 'Up the 'ammers'.

6. Nicholas Soames, MP for Mid Sussex and grandson of WSC once told me that as a young boy he was running around Chartwell when he opened a door and came across Winston in his bedroom, in bed, with a cabinet red box full of paperwork. Oh and his budgie was on his bedside table.

"Grand Papa, is it true you are the greatest man who ever lived?", he asked, having seen the usual newspapers.

"Yes, it is - now bugger off", came the great man's reply.

Mind you, he did turn the troops out on the miners....

7. King of the Burpas,
    he also got 'Bomber' Harris to drop gas bombs on the querulous tribes people of Iraq over a protracted period of time and in so doing taught Saddam Hussein how its done.

8. Yeah! Keeping on message, "a few wise words from the great man himself." Story here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,939608,00.html

'Churchill was particularly keen on chemical weapons, suggesting they be used "against recalcitrant Arabs as an experiment". He dismissed objections as "unreasonable". "I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes _ [to] spread a lively terror _" In today's terms, "the Arab" needed to be shocked and awed. A good gassing might well do the job.'

9. Maybe we can relearn some lessons? We could use Trident this time though.

SLRboy. Fuck off.

10. Yet again an innocent thread dragged down by the doom squad.

My Lord I concur with your last statement.

11. Oops! Sorry Gentlemen,
    Didn't mean to frighten the horses.

13. Ditto concur. Frenchmong and SLRboy are becoming rather tiresome. :twisted: