A few (stupid) questions.........

#1
Alright fellas,
First post on here, so please be gentle ! I took the shilling in '84, got out in '90 & although I missed being in the army, I never re-enlisted for all the usual reasons.

Anyway, took my lad down to the local recruiting office about a month ago & (as I am currently jobless), I jokingly asked the WO2 there if he could find me a job as well. Said WO2 mentioned something about RPGS(which I'd never heard of), but I later discovered that I'd been out far too long for that.

Now, I don't know if I'm having a mid-life crisis or what ! But the idea of getting back into green really appeals, so I went next door to the TAC & am off down to Donny on Friday for selection.

Sorry that I'm waffling a bit but now for the questions :

1)Chose RLC over INF due to my advanced age (42) & lack of useful qualifications. Is this a good choice ?

2)Does anybody know what the RRR( what's that all about ?) course is like at Donny ?

3)Got measured up for kit last week & don't fancy the boots at all ! I know that I won't be permitted to wear my Gucci Alt-Bergs during phase 1 training, but would I get away with my 20yr old BCH ? (Dug 'em out along with the rest of my reserve kit, done a couple of mile & 1/2 runs in 'em & they're still in decent nick & comfy as..)

4)Would I be allowed to exchange my old kit ( ie shirt KF, ect ) for the new gear ? You can't have too much kit, after all.

5)I've missed the Midland Challenge, so will have to go down the "every other weekend" route. Does anybody know how long this takes ?

I'll leave it there for now. I'm sure that I'll be back with more daft questions in the near future ( subject to a favourable time next Sat). Thanks to all who've stayed the distance on this marathon of a post & thanks for any answers, advice, feedback, piss-taking received.

Cheers.
 
#2
I enjoyed the RLC but am enjoying the infantry more - personal preferences - do you have any specific questions about RLC - what trade you after?

No Idea what RRR is - hope its like RnR with extra Rest.

Will depend on DS but BCH should be OK - look similiar enough anyway. Wear new boots for parades - working keep the comfies for your tab.

Took me over a year to complete basic and trade but I did get fecked about due to Unit/RTC politics.
 
#3
Hello mate, thanks for the quick reply.

Re trades; I was thinking of dvr/rad-op, but I'm open to suggestions/advice.

RRR is the risk reduction run,according to my joining instructions, which is, (I think) like a BFT in trainers.I've been doing the distance in my old BCH, so hopefully,should be ok in trainers.Hope I can get away with BCH in training.When I was in the regs, had time to break-in new boots round camp before wearing them for any serious tabs. (1st time round in basic with 2 new pair of boots, it was a matter of grinning & bearing it, hope to avoid that this time around !)

Any advice for the basic would be appreciated, I'm hoping it'll all come flooding back once I get started.
Cheers.
 
#4
blockjob said:
1)Chose RLC over INF due to my advanced age (42) & lack of useful qualifications. Is this a good choice ?

2)Does anybody know what the RRR( what's that all about ?) course is like at Donny ?

3)Got measured up for kit last week & don't fancy the boots at all ! I know that I won't be permitted to wear my Gucci Alt-Bergs during phase 1 training, but would I get away with my 20yr old BCH ? (Dug 'em out along with the rest of my reserve kit, done a couple of mile & 1/2 runs in 'em & they're still in decent nick & comfy as..)

4)Would I be allowed to exchange my old kit ( ie shirt KF, ect ) for the new gear ? You can't have too much kit, after all.

5)I've missed the Midland Challenge, so will have to go down the "every other weekend" route. Does anybody know how long this takes ?
1) Yes

2) risk reduction run: 1.5 km in less than 14 mins

3) Yes and yes. As long as they have some tread on them.

4) You will be issued the kit you need.

5) 5-8 months realistically.

msr
 
#5
msr said:
blockjob said:
1)Chose RLC over INF due to my advanced age (42) & lack of useful qualifications. Is this a good choice ?

2)Does anybody know what the RRR( what's that all about ?) course is like at Donny ?

3)Got measured up for kit last week & don't fancy the boots at all ! I know that I won't be permitted to wear my Gucci Alt-Bergs during phase 1 training, but would I get away with my 20yr old BCH ? (Dug 'em out along with the rest of my reserve kit, done a couple of mile & 1/2 runs in 'em & they're still in decent nick & comfy as..)

4)Would I be allowed to exchange my old kit ( ie shirt KF, ect ) for the new gear ? You can't have too much kit, after all.

5)I've missed the Midland Challenge, so will have to go down the "every other weekend" route. Does anybody know how long this takes ?
1) Yes

2) risk reduction run: 1.5 km in less than 14 mins

3) Yes and yes. As long as they have some tread on them.

4) You will be issued the kit you need.

5) 5-8 months realistically.

msr
Think you meant 1.5 miles in less than 14 mins
 
#6
Bloody imperial measurements ;)
 
#7
Basic will be a breeze for you mate - The only real pass / fail elements will be WHT, PFT and CFT - the rest of it you will be trained to pass ( suppose WHT is a bit like that too - Oh well at least I know what I mean) and the bar isnt too high.
CFT will be six miles - at Grantham it'll be on the flat.

Dvr/ Rad Op - probbly best trade in a transport regt, cushy and gets high band pay - would be my choice if re-applying - dont know if it makes you dull geeky and obsessive or if you start out that way - could be a side effect of white noise.
 
#8
Infantry.

If you don't, you'll always wish you had.
 
#9
BCH are dire; the current issue boots are *far* better.
 
#10
msr said:
blockjob said:
1)Chose RLC over INF due to my advanced age (42) & lack of useful qualifications. Is this a good choice ?

2)Does anybody know what the RRR( what's that all about ?) course is like at Donny ?

3)Got measured up for kit last week & don't fancy the boots at all ! I know that I won't be permitted to wear my Gucci Alt-Bergs during phase 1 training, but would I get away with my 20yr old BCH ? (Dug 'em out along with the rest of my reserve kit, done a couple of mile & 1/2 runs in 'em & they're still in decent nick & comfy as..)

4)Would I be allowed to exchange my old kit ( ie shirt KF, ect ) for the new gear ? You can't have too much kit, after all.

5)I've missed the Midland Challenge, so will have to go down the "every other weekend" route. Does anybody know how long this takes ?
1) Yes

2) risk reduction run: 1.5 km in less than 14 mins

3) Yes and yes. As long as they have some tread on them.

4) You will be issued the kit you need.

5) 5-8 months realistically.

msr

msr, thanks for the reply. If I could just call on your knowledge/experience a little more, I would be most grateful :

1)Any suggestions regarding trades ? I'm currently lacking in formal qualifications, apart from a full UK license & a couple of 'A' levels. I did a lannie & trailer conversion when I was in the mortars & lots of other INF stuff, but it's all last century !

2)Have you done the RRR at Donington ? Any suprises on the route ? Hills, headwinds ect, nothing worse than needing a fast finish & ending up sprinting into a 20MPH headwind, up a hill !

3)Tread is nearly new, just a few surface gashes in them from barbed wire fences in NI. How do the new assualt boots compare ? Is there any new ideas for breaking them in, or is it the old soak 'em through & wear 'til dry treatment ?

4)My kit is on order, but if I could exchange my old stuff for buckshee, it's always handy to have spares.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, your help will hopefully help me to prepare as well as possible.

Cheers.
 
#11
Ooops! Sorry gents, I started the last reply a couple of hours ago & then got sidetracked & then went for a run.Didn't check for replies before finishing & posting :oops:

Bravo ; Did 6yrs INF when I was a younger man. Don't know if I could hack running around trying to keep up with 20yr olds ! Besides, I'm interested in hopefully learning some sort of trade, to help me get a job out here.

Danielsan ; I know what a CFT is, (used to be 8 miles I think, Followed by a long jump? then carry one of your oppoes & his kit 100mtrs) Not sure what the others are, please clarify.Also what's the best trade for promotion ? My unit is new, without any jnco's at present, so I'm hoping to get my foot in the door as soon as possible.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
 
#12
blockjob said:
2)Have you done the RRR at Donington ? Any suprises on the route ? Hills, headwinds ect, nothing worse than needing a fast finish & ending up sprinting into a 20MPH headwind, up a hill !
Flat as **** no headwind etc to speak of

4)My kit is on order, but if I could exchange my old stuff for buckshee, it's always handy to have spares.
unlikely if its pre Soldier 95
 
#13
sticky said:
blockjob said:
2)Have you done the RRR at Donington ? Any suprises on the route ? Hills, headwinds ect, nothing worse than needing a fast finish & ending up sprinting into a 20MPH headwind, up a hill !
Flat as * no headwind etc to speak of

4)My kit is on order, but if I could exchange my old stuff for buckshee, it's always handy to have spares.
unlikely if its pre Soldier 95

Nice one sticky,

did a mile & 1/2 earlier in 10:38 in boots over grass, so I should be ok, unless I have a really bad day. The old kit will come in handy at some point, I'm sure, especially combats, socks ect.What are the training staff like at Donny ?
 
#15
JonnoJonno said:
There are some decent staff there, but most of them are empire building dullards
So it's a case of head down, arrse up & crack on then. Does anyone know the score with the command tasks. I it the usual planks, barrels & rope stuff ?

Cheers.
 
#16
blockjob said:
JonnoJonno said:
There are some decent staff there, but most of them are empire building dullards
So it's a case of head down, arrse up & crack on then. Does anyone know the score with the command tasks. I it the usual planks, barrels & rope stuff ?

Cheers.
None of that stuff up there at all mate. You run a tiny bit, do an indoor phys session or two, but most of the time the phys is cancelled due to the DS fcking the timings up. The rest is death by powerpoint. They'll leave you alone because it is easier to have a go at the younger mongs on there, but they'll attempt to put you in your place or give you responsibilities due to your age. It can be fun, but it's your mates who will make it. There are two instructors up there who are abslutely brilliant, but stay away from any fat ones- they're all lazy hillbilly cnuts.
 
#17
They never cancelled the phys when I was there.

Have you done the new style selection Jonno? Only I think they've added in some command tasks now on the selection weekend and from what I've seen yes it's the old planks/barrels etc scenario.

Blockjob, in my experience, the instructors were pretty good. It's still mostly the same people although a couple of personnel changes. There'll always a couple of people you just won't get on with, but I was happy enough with the team who took us. And comparing them to what I heard on CMSR, they're pretty switched on.
 
#19
I went through a while ago but I've been there recently for another course and it looked very different as they seem to be doing the initial selection weekend centrally. Nice overalls worn throughout! Some instructors are better than others obviously, you get that anywhere, but I'd say overall they're a decent bunch who'll get you through if it's humanly possible.
 
#20
Many thanks for all your help, guys & gal !
With a bit of luck, I should be done & dusted by this time next week & ready to sign up again.

Cheers.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top