A few Questions

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Superdan, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly sorry to be cheeky and ask all this on my first post!!
    Secondly I've posted this elsewhere but haven't got much of a reply this place looks far busier so hopefully I should get a few answers!!

Sorry if any of this has been covered before.

Firstly me.. I'm a 23 year old Ambulance medic in the NHS (or Ambulance Technician for those that know what one is!) looking to join 236 RLC at Salford, I've no military experiance but really want a go!

Couple of Q's - I'm not very fit (but can and do carry people up and downstairs everyday without problem) and overweight do I need to sort this out before joining or is it better to join and get fit with the TA?

I had childhood asthma but havent been medicated for it since I was about 18 (5yrs ago) would this cause a problem?

Does anyone have any experiance of the RLC i'd like to know the 'no holds barrred' version instead of the army website 'its all great' (perhaps it is?!?)

Also I am a qualified medic and by the looks could join as a medic (I have the quals needed) would anyone recommend this as a better option? (I would prefer to do the RLC but if there was a really good reason for being a medic I could be swayed!)

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

Dan

2. Your history of asthma might be a problem, but that’s for a doctor to decide.

Your level of fitness might be a problem, but that’s for your chosen units recruiting team to decide.
    You’re not expected to be supper fit at the recruit stage and the TA will help you improve by leaps and bounds, even if you’re chucking your guts up after every PT session :D

The RLC have their own role to play within the army.
    I personally find them quite dull but they might really turn you on, you wont know until you go and speak to them.

Have you considered being a medic at 236 RLC ?

The best thing you can do is visit 236 on their drill night (probably Tuesday from 20:00 – 22:00) and see what they’re like.
    You wont find answers to your questions on the internet.

3. The recruiting policy for asthma was you must have been signed clear by a doctor for the previous 5 years (a number of my cadets fell foul of this)

RLC has a plethora of trades but all sort of boil down to humping and dumping (using trucks, saucepans, spades, mail, etc) if you want a break from
    a)driving
    b)medico
    There are other jobs in the TA
    Dont really focus on the cap badge identify the job or interests you have/want look at local units then see if they match (no point joining then becoming disillusioned that the job/unit is kak) then visit that unit talk to members and watch them on a parade night, most TA units I have worked with will allow or at least arrange for it

4. msr

msr LE

5. If you want to bring the skills you already have and have the opportunity to enhance them further how about 207 Field Hospital also in manchester. I'm sure they would have a vacancy for you. ( Courses include ALS, BATLS & BARTS). PM me if interestedfor more info

6. If you want to bring the skills you already have and have the opportunity to enhance them further how about 207 Field Hospital also in manchester. I'm sure they would have a vacancy for you. ( Courses include ALS, BATLS & BARTS). PM me if interestedfor more info

7. On the subject of Asthma - I have Asthma but it's controlled with medication whenever I need to use it (once every now & again). My peakflow is over 750 and I consider myself to be fairly fit. I couldn't say that it's been 5 years clear due to me receiving perscriptions, but it is in no way detrimental to any activity I choose to do - I'm a keen mountain biker which keeps my peakflow up.

I was in R.Sigs back in 89 as a Junior Ldr up in Harrogate, but was medically discharged in relation to my Asthma. I have to say that it was much worse back then than it has been for years now. The problem was the lack of PT (believe it or not!!) to keep my lung capacity up. I don't get any significant problems with it these days.

Really my question is this, I'm 34 and thinking of joining the TA, prob'ly a Sig's corp near to where I live in Nottingham. Based on the information above am I wasting my time in even thinking about it or is there a chance that I could get a squeeze in?

8. if you still have a prescription, im afriad the short answer is no.

people do get past the medical by being dishonest (about asthma), some get found out, some dont...however if one were to have an attack for instance half way up a mountain in afghan, then you'd place your commrades in serious peril.

unfortunately it is very unlikely you will be able to serve. Thanks for being prepared to put your head above the parapet...

9. msr

msr LE

Agent0,

Have a word with your local ACF unit. I am sure they would welcome you.

msr