A few questions regarding AOSB and life in general as an OCdt

So I'm wondering if anyone could should some light on a couple of questions I have:

• Firstly, with regards to AOSB-B fitness testing, is there a chance to "overachieve" as it were? Or will all tests be stopped at the required level (so can I do 80 press ups instead of 50 in 2 minutes, or do I get stopped at 50?) And is the same true for the main board?
  • Secondly, my first two choices are the Parachute Regiment and the Intelligence Core. I've since head from my CSA that they're probably the two most competitive choices...So does anyone have any tips on how I can stand out from other candidates (I'm semi-fluent in Arabic and have lived in the Middle East, which I suppose is helpful for joining the Int corps. But what about the Para's?)
  • Finally, what is the accommodation like once you're actually at Sandhurst? I've read conflicting reports, and it's not a huge issue but obviously it's best not go in blind and have some idea of what to expect

Thanks for reading, any help at all is appreciated.

• Finally, what is the accommodation like once you're actually at Sandhurst? I've read conflicting reports, and it's not a huge issue but obviously it's best not go in blind and have some idea of what to expect

What about it would be an issue?

If someone with ambitions of being a rough, tough Para officer is genuinely worried about the standard of accomodation I'd be concerned about expectation management.

Funnily enough, being an airborne infanteer might involve you living in the odd hole in the ground outside from time to time!

As for the standard of accomodation at RMAS, it's normally pretty good, though that's partly because you will spend so much time cleaning, polishing, ironing, starching and otherwise making your room RIGID. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, life at RMAS isn't going to be dear old CSgt waking you at 0800 with a cup of tea and a copy of today's paper.......

So I'm wondering if anyone could should some light on a couple of questions I have:

• Firstly, with regards to AOSB-B fitness testing, is there a chance to "overachieve" as it were? Or will all tests be stopped at the required level (so can I do 80 press ups instead of 50 in 2 minutes, or do I get stopped at 50?) And is the same true for the main board?
  • Secondly, my first two choices are the Parachute Regiment and the Intelligence Core. I've since head from my CSA that they're probably the two most competitive choices...So does anyone have any tips on how I can stand out from other candidates (I'm semi-fluent in Arabic and have lived in the Middle East, which I suppose is helpful for joining the Int corps. But what about the Para's?)

What about it would be an issue?

If someone with ambitions of being a rough, tough Para officer is genuinely worried about the standard of accomodation I'd be concerned about expectation management.

Funnily enough, being an airborne infanteer might involve you living in the odd hole in the ground outside from time to time!

As for the standard of accomodation at RMAS, it's normally pretty good, though that's partly because you will spend so much time cleaning, polishing, ironing, starching and otherwise making your room RIGID. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, life at RMAS isn't going to be dear old CSgt waking you at 0800 with a cup of tea and a copy of today's paper.......
It's not an issue, I'm simply curious about what the arrangement is. I.E is it a Lympstone style setup with multiple people to a room or are the rooms individual?

There was a BBC documentary back in 2011/12 that is no doubt on YouTube. Some specifics may have changed but it should given an insight into the general tone of the place.

I am going to Sandhurst in January so have recently done briefing and Main Board.

In regards to fitness, there is no chance to "overachieve" and frankly there isn't really much point. The bleep test is stopped at 10.2 and they only want to see that you can meet the minimum requirements at this stage. Remember as well that you only do the press up/sit ups and Main board.

At briefing they will show you the correct technique. Be prepared to have a few of each ruled out for "incorrect form", they watch you like a hawk and penalise you for any incorrect attempts. Ensure you can do at least 44 the way they teach you as opposed to a higher number using a different technique.

There is a chance at PCCBC to do as many as you can when you do your first PFA which includes press ups, sit ups and the 1.5 mile run so dont be too eager, you will get your chance!

Fitness was actually the easiest part of briefing and main board for me and quite a few others. You can prepare for that. All the other stuff, tests, interviews and the like were the hardest part. Your brain will be absolutely sozzled by the time you leave Westbury!

In regards to Para's and Intelligence, they are not in my preferred top 2 (I have listed PWRR and Rifles) so I can't give you much advice. All I can say is they will be competitive so ensure that you can stand out from the crowd (Obviously) and bring something that others don't. Although they will look at your PFA scores, they won't care too much how fast you can run 1.5 miles in short and T-Shirt as when are you going to be able to do that? They'll be more interested in the full package and what you can offer them. Best bet would be to get out and visit them, see what they look for and meet the young officers who got offers.

As for the accommodation, I'll let you know in January!! PCCBC accommodation was fine but I did have to make my own bed which was inconvenient...

As I understand it, performance at AOSB has no bearing whatsoever on your final commissioning cap badge; it's a vehicle for getting into the Camberley School for Wayward Boys and Girls, is all.

One you're in and enjoying the comforting fog of benevolence from assorted CSgts, I gather that the sensible thing to do is work your cock off and get ranked as high up against your peers as posslble and, when asked for commissioning preferences, do what they want you to do when they want you to do it.

Bear in mind that the experience of commanding Parachute Regiment soldiers is likely to be very different from that of commanding Intelligence Corps soldiers. Both could charitably be described as challenging to command, for different reasons.

Just to clarify- there is not 1.5 mile run at main board itself?
Do you re-do the MAT tests again at main board or are your briefing scores carried over?
Cheers- couple of answers I couldn't find in the search bar

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bear in mind that the experience of commanding Parachute Regiment soldiers is likely to be very different from that of commanding Intelligence Corps soldiers. Both could charitably be described as challenging to command, for different reasons.
...and that the experience of being commanded by Parachute Regiment officers is likely to be very different from that of being commanded by Intelligence Corps officers, of which the latter will be much, much more challenging.

Just to clarify- there is not 1.5 mile run at main board itself?
Do you re-do the MAT tests again at main board or are your briefing scores carried over?
Cheers- couple of answers I couldn't find in the search bar
I spoke to my CSM a while ago about the MAT tests, and apparently they are repeated at Main Board.
As for the run, I think it's just a repeat of the beep test again.

...and that the experience of being commanded by Parachute Regiment officers is likely to be very different from that of being commanded by Intelligence Corps officers, of which the latter will be much, much more challenging.
I don't think I was ever commanded by Int Corps officers, more sort of 'occasionally influenced'. Tactful and discreet folk, Int Corps DEs.