A Few questions, and an introduction

Well first off, my names Paul, i'm 17 and hoping that i'll be able to join the Signalmen or Royal Artillery, depending on my fitness test which i'll discuss now.

I got 12m 10s in the 1.5 mile run practice that i'v been training to do before i actually get tested, is this ok by the army's standards considering the options i'm looking at?

Also, sorry if this is a big thread of questions, but this is pretty much the most important one i'v got to ask. I'm allergic to nuts unfortunately, and on the form it says its one of the conditions that rules me out, but i'v heard of people being recruited with egg and nut allergies, and they simply get an extra medical dog tag? Could someone clarify?

Thanks alot

I don't know an all lot myself as i'm awaiting my recruiters interview but i'm pretty sure that i seen on a website that the run time for the Royal Artillery was Level 2 which was 13.15 and under.

To be honest I can't see it being a major problem.

In the event that nuts got into your system, would it be a matter of life and death or do you just get a rash or something?

The army has vegitarian choices etc so surley they will carter to someone with a nuts allegry.

It depends on the type of nut, peanuts i'll just end up being sick, almond, hazelnut, or brazilian nut & it could be fatal without an adrenaline pen (Epipen). Another bad factor is that it could be nut oil or nut essence etc

I am sorry to say that with a severe nut allergy you had best stay away from the Army.

Scenario: You are in Afganistan and eat something that you didnt realise has nut oil in the ingredients. You are hours from medical intervention. You are dead. Not good!

because of you alergy you meical form will take longer and you might have to do some tests i dont think its a 100% no, if you have alergys... BUT if you need medication it will be a no

as for the run time you really need it to be around 10 to 10 and a half minutes because you are 17 but can still pass with a 12 minute run

Other Conditions

* Loss of spleen (Splenectomy).
* Transplanted organs.
* Severe allergic reactions and or anaphylaxis requiring adrenaline injection precautions.
* Nut allergy.

* Circulation problems (e.g. Raynaud's phenomenon or disease).
* Diabetes.
* Diseases (e.g. glandular or hormonal) requiring long term medication or replacement therapy.

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/How+do+I+Join/Can+I+Join/Do+You+Have+a+Medical+Condition.htm

Unlucky mate , never hurts to ask at your AFCO though.

Thing is, i don't exactly carry medication, and i'v never had to use the epipen once after several attacks since i realised i had it. All the epipen is there for is just in case worst comes to it. I'v heard it isn't up to the AFCO to approve, its up to my doctor? true or?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Robbo55 said:
Ah i see. So if i'v never had to use medication for the allergy, would it sway the army doctor's decision for my favor a bit?
Depends. Were you actually diagnosed with your allergy or is it something you've realised later?

If the former it'll appear on your clinical notes.

If the latter then it's really an integrity call on your part.

Robbo55 said:
Ah i see. So if i'v never had to use medication for the allergy, would it sway the army doctor's decision for my favor a bit?
I can see your arguement BUT if you still have an allergy that is a serious as you have said then their is no way you could serve under the current rules. If you are that concerned get your doctor to arrange a patch test to determine what state your allergy is at.

Nut oil and essence is used in a vast array of food stuffs, you should know this now by your age. I'm sure there is plenty of stuff you cann't eat from Tesco and the like. It is hard enough to manage a condition such as yours in the benign environment that is civvi street, never mind down town Basrah or deepest Helamnd. There will be times where you will be only given ORP whic may contain nuts (or traces), same goes for veggies you may like it but sometimes you may have to eat a Menu D if you don't want to starve.

Sixty said:
Robbo55 said:
Depends. Were you actually diagnosed with your allergy or is it something you've realised later?

If the former it'll appear on your clinical notes.

If the latter then it's really an integrity call on your part.
Wasnt something i realised until i was roughly 5 years old

just go through with the application etc if everythings not ok, you have'nt lost anything and if it is ok you've gained something but not going for it, you will look back and think i wish i did go for it.

Latest Threads