A few questions about the TA..

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by lpth, Mar 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been thinking about joining the TA. I recently spoke to a recruiter who mentioned it was now a 12 year minimum service. I am in a funny job and the length of commitment gave me second thoughts as I can’t really predict where I will be in 9 or 10 years.

Reading the reserve forces act it seems you can leave at any time if you give three months written notice and return all your kit in original condition do I have this right?

If there is no-way out and I sucked up the 12 years thing, but work wanted me to be overseas for 6 months, would this be possible?

I appreciate any feedback
  2. Simply put, you can leave the TA at any point (unless you have been warned for mobilisation, or your unit has). You are required to give notice (like any other job) and return your issued kit, but most CO's will waive the 3 months notice.

The contract has changed to 12 years mostly for ease of administration (lots of time spent chasing paperwork every two or three years, with the inevitable 'lost in the post'). Don't worry about the contract length. Come along and join the Borg TA. :wink:

Edited to add: Going abroad isn't generally a problem, it's just a matter of submitting a request for a 'leave of absence'.
  3. Thanks, it's something I have always wanted to do but I was worried it would kill my career, I really appreciate the response!