A few questions about RE?

Left the infantry about 2 years ago. Looking to join back up but wouldnt look twice at any infantry regiment again. I do get all RE are trained as combat engineers.
I have looked thro the forum and havent quite found all the info ive been looking for, also looked up army.mod but no better place to ask than acctuall sappers.
Few questions i have.
Looking at metal fabrication then to follow with welding. Any views on this? I know you dont use your trade alot but something that would help what i want to do in the future.
Would also like to get on a diveing corse, i do realise this is a hard corse and does take a while to get onto it, does anyone know in a ball park figure how long does it take to get onto one.
Now the bit of info i cant really find anything on is para/commando corses, after you have done the training does that mean you are attached to them for a period of time or is it a case of doing it and returning to your platoon?
Not interested in these corses due to the fact of a head dress or and flashes. Just purely somethig ive always been interested in doing.
Thanks in advance. Any info would be great or links if i have missed anything

Left the infantry about 2 years ago. Looking to join back up but wouldnt look twice at any infantry regiment again. I do get all RE are trained as combat engineers.
I have looked thro the forum and havent quite found all the info ive been looking for, also looked up army.mod but no better place to ask than acctuall sappers.
Few questions i have.
Looking at metal fabrication then to follow with welding. Any views on this? I know you dont use your trade alot but something that would help what i want to do in the future.
Would also like to get on a diveing corse, i do realise this is a hard corse and does take a while to get onto it, does anyone know in a ball park figure how long does it take to get onto one.
Now the bit of info i cant really find anything on is para/commando corses, after you have done the training does that mean you are attached to them for a period of time or is it a case of doing it and returning to your platoon?
Not interested in these corses due to the fact of a head dress or and flashes. Just purely somethig ive always been interested in doing.
I'd take an English course first mate , gen up advice.

You've posted on the Sapper board. If you look at the top you'll see a sticky called Everything You Wanted to Know about Joining the RE by wedge35. It really is worth reading.

Few questions i have.
Your choice of trade will mean that there may be a waiting time to join as each trade has a certain number of slots allocated to it in the corps
There are a few courses run per year.You will undergo a pre course series of tests to ensure you meet the criteria. As a rule of thumb you should aim for the fitness levels required for the airborne / commando courses.There will be a diving team in whatever regiment you get posted to. They will give you the run down on when and whats required
The Corps has airborne and commando squadrons. Once you pass you will join the airborne / commando squadron
Thanks in advance. Any info would be great or links if i have missed anything[/QUOTE]

Yeah cheers mate ave had a look thro that, alot of good info
Few questions i have.
Your choice of trade will mean that there may be a waiting time to join as each trade has a certain number of slots allocated to it in the corps
There are a few courses run per year.You will undergo a pre course series of tests to ensure you meet the criteria. As a rule of thumb you should aim for the fitness levels required for the airborne / commando courses.There will be a diving team in whatever regiment you get posted to. They will give you the run down on when and whats required
The Corps has airborne and commando squadrons. Once you pass you will join the airborne / commando squadron
[/QUOTE]

Exactly what i was looking for. Thank you for the info. Great help

BTW - I think the R.E diver course is quite taxing on the old brain, as well as the lungs. It was on to do list...

You may mock about people getting **** about spelling, punctation and grammer but now with the new rules on needing Level 1 numeracy and literacy for promotion to Cpl and Level 2 for promotion to Sgt I wouldn't take the p155 too much. If you can only manage chav text speak you may struggle to join because almost all of our trades require around 5 GCSEs.

Latest Threads