Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

A few questions about life in the reserves..

Hi all I'm interested in joining the reserves but have a few questions I haven't been able to find the answer for, So I'm hoping someone can help - thanks in advance!

1. How long could it take to be promoted? I know this is a very open question and it depends on many factors..but are we talking months or years, on average?

2. Once promoted, if you decided to join the regulars would you be demoted back to private or stay where you're at?

3. How likely are you to travel to another country for training? And would your employer treat this the same as being deployed?

1) Years

2). It depends on a whole raft of factors - time in service, time in rank, relevant experience, availability of vacancies, the desk officer at Glasgow, phase of the moon etc. Don’t count on it, and it gets less likely the higher you go.

3). I’ve averaged just under a country a year for the last few years. But overseas training != deployment. How you square it with your employer is up to you, but you won’t be getting a brown envelope.

I’m not sure why, but you give me a bad vibe. Your post smacks of trying to minimise effort. I might be completely wrong, but if I’m not I suggest some serious thought about joining the reserve. Trying to juggle life, work and the reserve requires serious effort, and if you’re looking for an easy(ier) way into the regular forces, I’d try again.

I’m not sure why, but you give me a bad vibe. Your post smacks of trying to minimise effort. I might be completely wrong, but if I’m not I suggest some serious thought about joining the reserve. Trying to juggle life, work and the reserve requires serious effort, and if you’re looking for an easy(ier) way into the regular forces, I’d try again.

No bad vibes here, wanted to join for years but now is the right time for me. I can't join the regulars since it pays less than my current job, The reserves suits my lifestyle better anyways
Not sure where you got that whole assumption from by just reading my post but you're way off. I'm fully aware of juggling work, life and the reserves and I'm not looking for an easy way into the regulars, I was just wondering since no one's been able to answer my questions before

Well, if I’m wrong, I’m wrong, and hopefully you’ve got the answers you wanted. If you have a capbadge/trade/unit in mind then others may be able to give you specifics.

Hi all I'm interested in joining the reserves but have a few questions I haven't been able to find the answer for, So I'm hoping someone can help - thanks in advance!

1. How long could it take to be promoted? I know this is a very open question and it depends on many factors..but are we talking months or years, on average?

2. Once promoted, if you decided to join the regulars would you be demoted back to private or stay where you're at?

3. How likely are you to travel to another country for training? And would your employer treat this the same as being deployed?

Depends really.
Depends what you join, your ability and "fit" to the unit. You time commitment.

1 - years and your ability to pass the courses and cadres and make grown ups think you are worth the investment.

2 - not sure, depends on your skill sets and what the army wants but I get the impression you are looking to fast track in reseves then sidle over to regs a few rungs up the ladder. That won't happen

3 - oh guess what - depends. I went abroad loads but had to put in time on courses and cadres in UK....it depends on your ability and skill sets and...what the army wants!

As an extra piece of advice - it's not what the reserves will give you that counts, it's what you will give the reserves.

1. Years.
2. You would have to apply for the Regular Army, and go though basic and trade training.
3. With the continued cut backs to the defence budget, the opportunity for foreign jollies is becoming increasingly a thing of the past. Good luck with getting any co-operation from your employer.

Kathie, do you definitely want to join the Army Reserve? Have you considered the RAF and RN Reserves? They are worth considering too. Ultimately, you have find something that works for you and your civilian career.

Promotion depends. I am Int Corps. Most of our recruits promote after they finish phase 2 to L/Cpl (You can do with in 12 months). Almost £70 a day as an OPMI 3.

If they wanted to go regular, depending on what they have done, they can. However it seems most have to attended a regular OPMI course.