Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few general questions.......

Hi there first of all please only general helpful answers, up for a bit of banter but right now looking for help.

Im 19 (on sun) and looking to apply to RMP (again no hate just helpful answers) - i'm currently a manager in a betting shop and have been in a solid relationship for 4 years currently engaged. My partner has previously applied for the army (RLC Driver) reaching the selection stage but pulled out due to not feeling ready.

We are both at a stage of now feeling ready to re/apply but wonder what, if any complications would come with us both applying. Its a 50/50 chance that were placed at the same training base (pirbright/winchester) but would it be better if 1 of us applied went through basic then the other applies and goes through basic ?

We do have 2 full time jobs and overheads (car, flat bills etc)

Any advice would be great.

Can’t say much about the rest of your question BUT

My recruiter said for RMP you’re looking at a long wait to get in because they’re packed
Thanks for your reply, im not looking to apply until march-april time would this be classed as the long wait ? or are we talking 6+months ?

rawsalmon47

Old-Salt
Thanks for your reply, im not looking to apply until march-april time would this be classed as the long wait ? or are we talking 6+months ?

This is from maybe a month ago and he said roughly a year give or take, he said something along the lines of

“Police Scotland pretend they’re recruiting then people get turned away and come to us for RMP, the applicant list is full”

You can join as another trade and re-trade later when the figures are required, Is there another career path you may wish to go on ?

Its up to both of you when you go into the Army, but different trades may have different intakes, and as recruits you will be paid a smaller salary than as a trained soldier.

Pop along to a Career center, best to get from the horses mouth

I'm not qualified to answer your questions but I'll put forward some questions that might elicit some useful answers.

Are you both planning to join the RMP or is your partner intending to reapply for RLC? What is the likelihood of you being posted somewhere near your partner?

Is this intended to be a long term career or just a stepping stone to gain qualifications and experience for a future civvy job? Or perhaps an experience that you want to do while you can, before you get older and settled?

Do you have a Plan B in case one of you gets in and the other doesn't?

Have you considered similar trades in the RAF? I've thrown that one in as I suspect that there's a greater likelihood of you and your partner serving together.

Answer for both above =
Thanks for your answer, my partner is looking to reapply for RLC as a driver. Both intended for a lifelong career and our plan B is that we both support each others dream so we wouldn't give up on one another.
We aren't to fussed on serving together like on deployment but we are hoping the distance between one another is small enough we can live at one base and travel to the other. My other trade rather than RMP would a GUNNER-UNMANNED AERIAL SYSTEMS with the RA - i know this is a big difference from the RMP but I have a huge interest in drones and surveillance. Anyone got a take on their application scales ?

Im 19 (on sun) and looking to apply to RMP (again no hate just helpful answers) - i'm currently a manager in a betting shop and have been in a solid relationship for 4 years currently engaged. My partner has previously applied for the army (RLC Driver) reaching the selection stage but pulled out due to not feeling ready.

With the benefit of hindsight and experience.

My question to you would be. How much do you value your relationship ?

Currently almost 19, been in a relationship for 4 years. There is a 99% chance that your relationship would not last 6 months.

As to joining the the RMP, I have no knowledge of this, but this may be of assistance.

RMP Reserves

243 Provost Company are based in Livingston.

With the benefit of hindsight and experience.

My question to you would be. How much do you value your relationship ?

Currently almost 19, been in a relationship for 4 years. There is a 99% chance that your relationship would not last 6 months.

As to joining the the RMP, I have no knowledge of this, but this may be of assistance.

RMP Reserves

243 Provost Company are based in Livingston.

Reserves wouldn't be the best option as were looking for full time careers. I don't think the relationship would end but it would apply a strain to it but we are certain its nothing we cant sort. I may be 19 but anyone I've met in my current job would take me to be mid 20s if it weren't for my looks (babyfaced) just out of the sheer maturity of myself and i think this would go along in terms of coping with a military life and career. I thank you for your input tho :D

Reserves wouldn't be the best option as were looking for full time careers. I don't think the relationship would end but it would apply a strain to it but we are certain its nothing we cant sort. I may be 19 but anyone I've met in my current job would take me to be mid 20s if it weren't for my looks (babyfaced) just out of the sheer maturity of myself and i think this would go along in terms of coping with a military life and career. I thank you for your input tho :D

But not mature enough to understand that I did not suggest that you join the reserves. Simply provided a link that could address all your queries.

[QUOTE, but [B]this may be of assistance.[/B]

RMP Reserves

243 Provost Company are based in Livingston.[/QUOTE]

I suppose its just the way i read it, been up all day today so i blame the tiredness ;) Im not sure they could all of my queries but I take it on board. Thanks once again :D

JNM

War Hero
Hi there first of all please only general helpful answers, up for a bit of banter but right now looking for help.

We are both at a stage of now feeling ready to re/apply but wonder what, if any complications would come with us both applying. Its a 50/50 chance that were placed at the same training base (pirbright/winchester) but would it be better if 1 of us applied went through basic then the other applies and goes through basic ?

We do have 2 full time jobs and overheads (car, flat bills etc)

Any advice would be great.
I do think you’re underestimating the strain that you’ll be under relationship wise. Not really a 50/50 chance as it would depend on intakes for different corps and your individual scores at assessment. Assuming you pass assessment medically.

As said above you can always go into a trade listed as priority if any tickle your fancy and you’ll get in pretty sharpish and retrade at a later date.

Behave, you can’t possibly know the OPs relationship, nor is it relevant to their questions.

Latest Threads