A Fag Free Army……

No no, not that sort….. The Army plans to go ‘Smoke Free’ next year.
How is this going to work? I’ll declare my hand - I’m an ex-smoker and think it is a silly thing; I can’t promise that I’ll never have another gasper, it’s too expensive these days for one thing, but I still wish smoking in pubs was permitted and generally think that the choice whether to smoke or not is a personal one.
What are smokers going to do now when they go for a fag break? Hide in the bushes? Cower in their cars? Or, stand around in unruly and unbecoming gaggles by the front gate (although front gates get a mention in the diktat)?

Interestingly, Single Living Accommodation and Family Accommodation is excluded, so I guess that answers the question about where they’ll all go.

Last edited:
Ciggies are ally
images

How is this going to work? I’ll declare my hand - I’m an ex-smoker and think it is a silly thing; I can’t promise that I’ll never have another gasper, it’s too expensive these days for one thing, but I still wish smoking in pubs was permitted and generally think that the choice whether to smoke or not is a personal one.
What are smokers going to do now when they go for a fag break? Hide in the bushes? Cower in their cars? Or, stand around in unruly and unbecoming gaggles by the front gate?
How will this impact on those that live in SFA within the wire? Can the Army really tell Mrs Atkins that she can’t complete the ‘white stilettos, Ron Hills, pushing a pram to the NAAFI’ look with a cheap fag dropping ash on the nipper? How about the impact on those that live in Messes and SLA?
Fag break was the only thing that got me through some of the Death by Viewfoil parts of a course.

No more the joys of the Gaswagen 4 tonner with 20 squaddies all puffing away at once.

It's political correctness gone mad I tell you.
I knew something was up when they stopped putting the map pocket on lightweights.

ETA:
From the article "Smoking has been part of Army culture since smoking cigarettes first became popular in the 1950s."

Who writes this stuff?

How dare they, Sandhurst taught me how to smoke!
Funny you should say that - I gave up just prior to going to RMAS. My abstention only last lasted a few days after arrival. I got pulled up during a ‘Fag Break’ in a drill lesson for NOT smoking! Off to the NAAFI I did go to reappear with twenty Silkies, Purple, Colour Sergeant, for the use of.

What are smokers going to do now when they go for a fag break? Hide in the bushes? Cower in their cars? Or, stand around in unruly and unbecoming gaggles by the front gate?

Slightly off thread, but i think in the spirit :-

I smoke a pipe, and now retired, in the summer months occasionally i go into town, and mooch about window shopping, sitting down in the pedestrian prescient and just watch the world go by, smoking my pipe, I was approached by two street wardens ( Tin Hitlers in drag) " We've had a complaint about your pipe smoke, could you please stop smoking" I look around me, no notices prohibiting smoking, i look up, just sun and blue sky's. my response, "Piss off and do something useful with your lives" Or something along those lines. these two officious muppets said nothing more, realised i was not breaking any laws, or local council statutes, and buggered off. :p

Funny you should say that - I gave up just prior to going to RMAS. My abstention only last lasted a few days having arrived, when I got pulled up during a ‘Fag Break’ in a drill lesson for NOT smoking! Off to the NAAFI I did go to reappear with twenty Silkies, Purple, Colour Sergeant, for the use of.
Silkies were very much an officer's fag. Any HDIV CSgt worth his salt would smoke a proper gasper like B&H.

Slightly off thread, but i think in the spirit :-

I smoke a pipe, and now retired, in the summer months occasionally i go into town, and mooch about window shopping, sitting down in the pedestrian prescient and just watch the world go by, smoking my pipe, I was approached by two street wardens ( Tin Hitlers in drag) " We've had a complaint about your pipe smoke, could you please stop smoking" I look around me, no notices prohibiting smoking, i look up, just sun and blue sky's. my response, "Piss off and do something useful with your lives" Or something along those lines. these two officious muppets said nothing more, realised i was not breaking any laws, or local council statutes, and buggered off. :p
Maybe they just wanted to smoke your pipe.

I must confess to being a snowflake way ahead of my time in the early 80s, when I objected to a crusty captain smoking at the breakfast table. I was swiftly told to get back in my box. How times have changed.

DITA

MIA
My understanding is that, while there will still be designated smoking areas for those that wish to do so, no shops will sell tobacco and related products form Mar next year (date IIRC).

Is it a good thing? Well since the ban in 2007, I have noticed a decrease in the number of smokers (myself included, gave up in 2008 ). But I wouldn't fancy being the one to go and tell Cpl 'hes well hard' Reccy Mech that he cant spark up after a particularly difficult recovery on Ex WHATEVER though.

I can see a bit of fuss being kicked up initially, then it will become the norm. As the saying goes, soldiers hate two things; the way things are and change. Stand by the for the Defence Integrated Review release tomorrow for evidence of that!

Army smokers are like Army sports people. There’s always someone got to take up their slack while they indulge in their past time.

What are smokers going to do now when they go for a fag break? Hide in the bushes? Cower in their cars? Or, stand around in unruly and unbecoming gaggles by the front gate (although front gates get a mention in the dictat)?

Interestingly, Single Living Accommodation and Family Accommodation is excluded, so I guess that answers the question about where they’ll all go.

You can build several semis on the land a drill shed stands on. They won't be needed after this.

No more: "Smoke break; go through the motions if you haven't got any."

DITA

MIA
WOT?
so how do you get them? Mail order?
Serious question

In my current Location? The Spar in the village about 500m from the front gate...

Then the black markets will pop up ;)

In my current Location? The Spar in the village about 500m from the front gate...

Then the black markets will pop up ;)
Just like Prohibition.
Saffers tried a lockdown smoking ban last year.
Backfired horribly, as smuggled imports took over the market, no duty paid, no VAT paid, all done 'cash only' at the local shop.

CSM's Despair..

On ROPS
On ROPs
I used to love smoking and still miss it, but it's just a bad idea from every angle.

The Western world is heading for an entirely non smoking society: better that way.

We could easily see a new law banning the sale of tobacco products to anybody born after a certain date e.g. 2010.

Latest Threads