Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I was thinking about specialising and I remember someone once doing a burns course at a uni of their own choosing. Is this still the case with specialist degrees? Is it a case of organising the placement and getting the MOD to pay for it and who do you get attached to? Are all the modules strictly A&E or do you choose from the DSHCS defence nursing degree modules? Any info, experiences or pointers would be welcome.
    If I decide to carry on with this route I'll be going down the official NEA path later but just wanted some grass roots advice first.
  2. I think the NEA will tell you where youll be doing your course, you will probably need to come up with a handful of places that supply that particular course and why each one is benificial to you. (no doubt itll come down to course cost and if there is military accom nearby).
  3. Thanks for the swift replies.
    Am I correct in understanding from the last post that you only need certain modules to become a ED specialist and not a top up degree? Also is there a pre-requiste amount of time to spend in an ED before starting the course and finishing it to:
    a)get on the course and b) become deployable as a specialist?
  4. ?ED

    Emergency Dept Specialist or Erectile Dysfunction Specialist, if the later, the years are getting on & ................................blue diamonds please :oops:
  5. I would VERY strongly advise you to speak to people working in post reg education, eg NEA and/ or the post-reg department at DSHCS as it is important for you to get up to date and accurate information on which to base your thinking

  6. You will probably find that a lot of the 'top up' degrees are pretty similar, in that the majority of the course credits are made up of research methods, professional and contemporary issues in nursing, and other horrendous sounding modules. You will then do around two or three modules to make up a 'specialist pathway'. It is possible in most cases to just cherry pick the modules you wish to do. From my experience course leaders like you to have a year or so in the speciality, and in the case of emergency, if the course is any good, it will have an element of competancy based assessment for which you will need access to an a&e dept and assesor. Are you anywhere near UCE?
  7. Thanks, no, Im serving abroad at the moment. I am in a prehospital / primary care role at the moment and spent about 6months previously in A&E. I have been trying to get into A&E since day one but kept getting put somewhere else. I figure if I can get my specialist qual then I can start getting A&E postings. I know ideally being in A&E would be preferable prior to starting but im starting to get frustrated.
  8. Mate I hear that, and ultimately thats why I left and went to work in a&e myself. It maybe that you could do some modules via disance learning, but these generally are not 'specialist' oriented. Uni of Lancaster used to have a comprehensive distance learning portfolio, they may have something to suit you. You could also look at the College of Surgeons Edinburgh Diploma in immediate care. This will give you a high level qualification without the rigidty of uni attendence. Google Basics or care team birmingham. Ultimately if your career in the service is not being taken seriously then think about putting in your papers, I can put you in touch with a coulpe of decent ED's here in Aus! Good luck DH
  9. At the moment, NEA are only approving 60 credits for the a&E modules/degree pathway.

    Bristol is the prefered option for university. PM me if you want to know what you need to do as i have just done it for the February board.