A dozy question about bands.

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Harry Paget Flashman, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I should state at the outset that the little I know about bands has been gleaned from the Edinburgh Tattoo and similar events on TV.

I'm guessing that a band is commanded by an officer? I've seen officers giving the salute to the Royal box at the end of the performance, etc.

My question is, where should an officer commanding a band march when on a parade? Surely not in front of the Drum / Pipe Major?

I await all humorous reposts (if well written 8) ) but hope for a definitive answer.

Many thanks.
  2. For OC read 'Director of Music'

As to locstat, waitout!
  3. Ah, I thank you for that. So what is a Bandmaster?
  4. Behind the Drum/Pipe/Bugle/Trumpet (depending on capbadge) Major.

Trust me on this one, I'm in the right Corps to know - occasionally you might find a Director of Music (DoM) or Bandmaster (BM) marching at the front, but only when there is no Drum/etc. Major in front.

All Regular bands are commanded by a DoM (Capt - LCol) with a BM (WO1) as 2ic. I'm not sure how TA bands work but I think they normally have a BM apart from the HAC band which has a DoM.

Why do you ask?

5. The Director of Music who's just given you 5 extras for call him a 'Band Master'... :roll:

I may be wrong on this but I have two memories of wear the DoM goes.

1. A couple of paces behind the Drum Major who 'controls' the Band by his mace etc. hence he's in front of the 'officer'.

2. To the rear of the band, covered off behind the Drum major who would be front and centre. DoM would march to front of band and face them when conducting.

Now watch me get shot down in flames by someone who actually knows what he's talking about! :roll:
  6. Yup, pretty much correct. Whether the DoM attends does depend on what the occasion is though.

I've never seen this one. Normally if the DoM is not required on the parade apart from conducting they would be on the sidelines and then conduct from the saluting dais - for example on a Beating of Retreat. They would then take up position as per point 1.

I've never seen anything different but there is probably a Guards regulation stating the above to be normal!

There are several more idio(t)syncracies knocking around the Corps(e) of Army Music, but I won't go into them right now.

P.S. My humblest apologies for intruding into the Officers' Mess. I swear the PMC told us we could stay here and drink all night on his chit!
  7. My latest appointment within the ACF is as commander of a band detachment.

I have my first public parade with them on Sunday (St George's Day Parade at Morley).

I know very little about music (aside from the fact that I do enjoy a bit of drum thumping type tunes). However, I am still required to lead these youngsters and I was pretty confident that I could get some direction from the accumulated knowledge on here.

As an aside, if anyone's in the Leeds area, feel free to pop along to the parade (and show afterwards) and please do tip up and say hello. The parade starts from the Town Hall at 11.45 and makes it's way to the rugby club where all the festivities happen.

There's some more information here (but I must apologise for the horrible music ..... a case of turning the speakers off first I think)
  8. Please do. I could use all the information I can get.
  9. Next daft question.

When approaching a saluting dais, who would give the order to 'eyes right' or 'left', would it be me or the Drummie? Also, who would give the command to set off?
  10. Give Kneller Hall a call. Their RSM/Head Director or whoever should be able to answer all these questions. I ran into a CAMUS LE Captian in a course not long back and he was a top bloke (irrelevant but there you go..)
  11. The standard way of doing an 'eyes right/left' would be a non-verbal signal given by the Drum Major. This is quite hard to describe but consists of him moving the mace out with his left hand and when he moves it back this gives the order. PM me for a more detailed description.

The command to step off is always given by the Drum Major or if leading a contingent of marching troops it would quite often be the contingent commander.