A Diving History (Tony Liddicoat)

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by titch-bod, Jan 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having spoken to Chimera prior to putting this on here, I realise that there is only me, him and maybe Knocker who know Tony. Mind you Swordman might have trained him!
    But Tony has asked me to spread the word so he can get in touch with as many old boys as possible (plus plug his book, ha ha!). So if any of you geriatric Mucky Old Engineers, or wanaby divers remember him, check out his web site:

www.tonyliddicoat.com

2. Tony Liddicoat was the Staffy course Instructer when I did my Divers course at Marchwood in '81.
    A very switched on ,humerous man, but, boy did he beast us on that course, only 8 passed .

3. Went through Dover with his Son. Feckin hell did he get shoite from instructors who had failed their Divers courses or been thrashed by Tony on their divers course! The usual sketch was - " Liddicoat eh?" "Is your dad in the Corps?" followed by the award for being Tony's son of 100's of pressups, knees to the chest on a big blue crash mat or the old favourite - Guardroom, Go!

4. He was my QMSI on my Field Sgts course at Chattendean, switched on cookie but dont fcuk with him he'd eat you alive, but a good soldier and combat engineer.

5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Not sure he will claim to have known me though! I was just on the receiving end of a lot of "hands on lift....up" and trying to get my head around the booming points of DS MGB!

6. As long as the headless pin was in the right place eh?

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Good old RE divers, first saw them checking the sewers under the SF bases in West Belfast, my screw introduced them as the turd watchers!

8. Cheers Ugly , nice to have been of service 8)

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Better that than another bomb on a raft under the base!

10. Aye, we were told on the Army Compressed Air Diver (ACAD) Course lntroduction, in no uncertain terms....
    'Don't come here expecting to ride on the back of a giant turtle or swim with dolphins. You are more likely to see a turd or a decomposed body float past your facemask'
    Turned out to be true as well.

11. Ditto!

Funny as fook when he gave us a lecture on dangerous marine life....we come to the bit about Sharks and of course everyone was interested in that and sat up. (BTW Jaws was in the Cinema at the time too lol) Tony started telling us if your diving and sharks come too close, get back to back with your dive buddy and slowly start finning to the surface. He then said if the sharks start going in ever decreasing circles and an attack looks imminent slowly ...very slowly reach down and remove your knife..........................................................................Stab your Buddy and fook off! The whole class just creased up!

He also saved a Rich American in Belize and received an award as well as a Rolex from the Yank.

Just bought the book on Amazon.com and look forward to reading it.

12. The Courses that Tony ran spent a lot more time in the water than previous courses, l finished the 'Billy Basic Shark Wrestlers ' course with 28 hrs in my log book ,so could get back for an Advanced course pretty sharpish.
    Plus the extra dosh came in handy ;¬)

13. is This the same that used to work out of 32, but was actually working for the Saltau staff, im sure it is.

14. Thats the man.

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator