A Disgrace

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by sebastian_r, Oct 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi - this is my first topic (and I'm a student) so I trust you'll all be kind lol.

Just came across this on another site. An absolute disgace!:

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".
    Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain
    The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.
    The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.
    It is to be hoped that common sense prevails
    If you disagree with this decision, please sign the petition on the link below:http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012
    Please do forward this on to everyone you can.

Is there any way we can demonstrate our displeasure about this? Any suggestions?

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

No I won't. For a student you must be thick. Use the search function.

Suggestions? Yes go back to bed.

3. It isn't true. You are a victim of an internet hoax. The olympics is in 2012 and the red arrows plan their displays 1 year in advance. The Olympic committee as far as I know have not yet decided on the nature of the olympic ceremonies yet.

BTW, this subject has been opened several times on here. I believe that you are the 3rd person to do so today.

EDIT to add: Can't these threads be merged and made a "sticky"? That could help reduce the numerous posts on the subject.

4. I just logged onto ARRSE, saw this thread and wondered "What's the chances this is about...".

5. ...and a student AL - can we start slating students now then?! :D

6. Ok, sorry gents, I should have checked out the full forum before posting. But, you know, red mist and all that!

And AB, you can 'slate' me (as you put it) all you like, the fact is that I am probably younger, cleverer and more handsome than you and I'm willing to bet that my future is going to be a bit brighter than yours. Oxford students and OTC operators aren't ten-a-penny you know...

So 'slate' away.

7. Fuck off civvy.

8. This must be wah, no-one can be this foolish.

9. Don't get tetchy sebastian - maybe if you knew what Amazing Lobster did, you wouldn't be so quick to assume that I was about to launch into you. Maybe your third post will be even cleverer. :D

Well done on your research though, your tutor must be proud of you. :lol:

10. Oh the wit! How I would relish the rigour of debating with you! Alas, time constrains me so I will make just one observation that I trust will be sufficient to demolish your misconceptions -

I hold an MOD90

But nice try.

11. Nope, just foolish. Oh well.

12. You've lost me ouyin. Not difficult, I admit. I am, after all an OTC Operator and therefore a baby officer!

13. Not slating but what is an OTC operator?

14. msr

msr LE

It is CV-speak for student.

msr

15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

In charge of the call centre?