A Disarmed British Public The Sole Option?

Might be worth reminding people that you still have the right to own a shotgun,(as i do for skeet /clay shooting) and for that right to be denied you the police need good reason

londonirish said:
I'm ambivalent....

One the one hand, I am a big freedom hound, and almost libertarian in my distrust of govt.

On the other, many of the people I have met who own, or used to own weapons here, (beyond a shotgun I mean), are just a bit, well, strange...

I don't particularily like guns.

I know how to use them, and am thinking of getting a shotgun due to the purchase of my new baronial manor, in order to cull all the old ladies in the village, so as to reduce the plumb-jam mountain that always rears its ugly head at this time of year.

Beyond that, I find that many of the people in this country who used to have pistols, self loading rifles, and the like, a bit weird...
Ah, a hoplophobe... and a hypocrite to boot!

...First one I've seen this season!

Where's me gun! :D :D :D

auxie said:
Might be worth reminding people that you still have the right to own a shotgun,(as i do for skeet /clay shooting) and for that right to be denied you the police need good reason
Unfortunately 'good reason' can vary dramatically from force to force. Plus if you live in a property owned by a council, housing association etc you may find it a term of your tenancy that you can't have a shotgun in the property.

D

Deleted 20555

Civvy_Shot said:
auxie said:
Unfortunately 'good reason' can vary dramatically from force to force. Plus if you live in a property owned by a council, housing association etc you may find it a term of your tenancy that you can't have a shotgun in the property.
Gosh I wonder why that would be???

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I sell guns for a living, not illegal ones you understand, but legal ones.

What really grips my sh!t is not so much the fact that you have to have a licence to own a firearm, but the fact that you are not required to be proficient in its use.

Take some examples:

1. You have to be fully trained in the use of military firearms before you can actually take one and go bang with it.

2. You have to have a deer hunting certificate (with loads of extra knowledge) before you can go on deer-stalking trips.

3. You have to take a written and practical driving test before you can drive a car.

ON THE OTHER HAND:

You DON'T need to demonstrate any proficiency whatsoever in the safe handling and firing or guns before you can buy one, only a clean record and some land, or membership of a club.

The Dunblane killer was a member of a POLICE shooting club and often shot at their ranges underneath their station, despite numerous complaints to the SAME police station about his proclivities.

I'm sure Fred and Mary West could have got a licence for firearms, if only they'd thought about it.

I believe that first-time applicants for firearms should have to pass a firearms test as well as have a clean record before they can apply.

I personally feel that the current UK gun laws are a complete farce and should be completely scrapped, and then re-instigated with some form of consultation and re-working.

The gun laws in the UK do indeed penalise legitimate owners of weapons, who are indeed pretty much the most law-abiding in the land.

Firearms law in the UK does absolutely fcuk all about gun crime, 99.5% of which is with illegally held weapons such as handguns that have been completely illegal for private ownership since Dunblane.

You still need to have been a member of an authorised club for X period before applying for your FAC unless things have changed. If the club think you're unsafe, then no ticket.

I also believe that the Deer Stalking Certificate is still voluntary although some forces are making it a condition of issueing a certificate for a stalking rifle, rather than checking the applicant's experience.

100% agree that our gun laws do not affect gun crime with a few rare exceptions - I believe that not obeying the law is part of the job description for a criminal.

auxie said:
Also worth noting that most calibre of rifle can also be owned under licence so long as they are not semi automatic ( Except .22 rim-fire ) even long barreled revolvers in .357 .38 .45 etc. Rules obviously apply along with a clean record.

Since the shootings already spoken of, I don't know of any shootings having been done with a 'legally' held fire arm.

There was a measre proposed by a Home Office Department,some time ago,where illegal weapons were purchased by small teams of officials,at the open market price.However the ACPO were against it,and the measure made no progress.Since then the police have proven pretty powerless to take these weapons off the street.

Adam(KOS) said:
auxie said:
Also worth noting that most calibre of rifle can also be owned under licence so long as they are not semi automatic ( Except .22 rim-fire ) even long barreled revolvers in .357 .38 .45 etc. Rules obviously apply along with a clean record.

Since the shootings already spoken of, I don't know of any shootings having been done with a 'legally' held fire arm.
Sorry Adam, can you clarify for me, can you still legally own a revolver?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
The problem is it's not you or me that are running round shooting people
No matter how many restrictions you put on handguns or what you do to the FAC it's so called 'crews' of predominatly kids and early 20's who are doing the killing
Banning handguns has not solved anything
Until we find some way to get the weapons of these kids the killings will go on because they see it as the norm

BTS,

Fair comment above. I worked with a complete Willy in the early eighties though - who, not satisfied with what was available in the armoury at work, acquired a 44 Magnum revolver for his private use at some club.

He was a complete gun nut and I never trusted him. The ban stopped this ' funster ' in his tracks.

auxie said:
Adam(KOS) said:
auxie said:

Yes you can. although an extension bar is fitted at the pistol grip to keep the overall length at 24"

Adam(KOS) said:
auxie said:
Adam(KOS) said:
auxie said:

Yes you can. although an extension bar is fitted at the pistol grip to keep the overall length at 24"
You can also own muzzleloading black powder revolvers such as the Remington Army Model, Colt 1860 etc.

Civvy_Shot said:
Adam(KOS) said:
auxie said:
Adam(KOS) said:
auxie said:

You can also own muzzleloading black powder revolvers such as the Remington Army Model, Colt 1860 etc.
Might as well plug this :D http://www.fulwoodshootingclub.co.uk/ If any one in the NW is looking for a club.

The bans imposed after Dunblaine and Hungerford show that the government nor the populous run the country…it’s the scum sucking bottom dwelling rags (or so called newspapers) that chase circulation out of sensationalism.

“We are the angry mob
We read the papers every day
We love who we love
We hate who we hate
BUT WE ARE SO EASILY SWAYED”

Apologies for getting any of the lyrics wrong, but it is very apt.

As a US citizen having owned guns when I lived in the UK, and now having returned to the US permanently I will say that I felt that though there was a rather lot of rigmarole involved with obtaining the Shotgun Certificate the fact that the firearms officer was willing to give a legal resident alien one points to the fact that there ARE good people working within a system where politicians tie their hands and remove their opportunity for judgment (sound similar to any experiences of a Military nature?).
The one salient point, and I think it is important, that I have to add is that those good people, the firearms officers of Scotland, removed Thomas Hamilton' (Dumblane) firearms permits and stated that this person should not be allowed to own arms. Hamilton went to court and got the permits back.
Otherwise I am in complete agreement with everyone: why is it that the BLINDINGLY F#CKING OBVIOUS POINT that criminals do not obey the law and therefore making weapons illegal does not work fails to connect with all the Westminster Numpties.

LazyJM said:
As a US citizen having owned guns when I lived in the UK, and now having returned to the US permanently I will say that I felt that though there was a rather lot of rigmarole involved with obtaining the Shotgun Certificate the fact that the firearms officer was willing to give a legal resident alien one points to the fact that there ARE good people working within a system where politicians tie their hands and remove their opportunity for judgment (sound similar to any experiences of a Military nature?).
The one salient point, and I think it is important, that I have to add is that those good people, the firearms officers of Scotland, removed Thomas Hamilton' (Dumblane) firearms permits and stated that this person should not be allowed to own arms. Hamilton went to court and got the permits back.
Otherwise I am in complete agreement with everyone: why is it that the BLINDINGLY F#CKING OBVIOUS POINT that criminals do not obey the law and therefore making weapons illegal does not work fails to connect with all the Westminster Numpties.
Because our elected cretins will never be living on an estate where there is the slightest chance of anything nasty happening to them. They don't have to do anything about the root problems, just make it look like they are to keep the meeja happy and keep their seat on the gravy train.

Problem? Illegal firearms minister. Hmmm. Either (a) increase resources to plod (as we can't reduce the paperwork burden or we'll never know if they hit their diversity targets) or (b) ban some stuff held by law abiding citizens who will comply, and who coincidentally are on this convenient database. Quick, call the tabloids, we've won the war on gun crime.

It might be interesting to note that since Ireland relaxed its firearms restrictions in the last couple of years (Now allowing pistols and full-bore centre-fire rifles), the shooting sport has blossomed, but firearms crime hasn't gone up anywhere near to the same proportion.

NTM