A degree in rapping, ( not parcel ) is now on offer from several universities.

I always liked when you got rappers collaborating with big beat / drum n bass producers for the intrumentals. Kool Keith with the Prodigy, the Jungle Brothers being remixed by Aphrodite and (tenuous link) De La Soul with the Propellerheads:
Jay Z took whiny teenage Linkin Park tunes and made a couple of them awesome

Another worthless degree

and another dejected graduate sitting on the tills in ASDA

not to worry, they don't start paying back their tuition fees until they are earning more than £21k

That would be an awful lot of overtime.

I find most music to be the same thing, just done in a different way. It’s the differences that make it interesting.
I like listening to rap because some is pure poetry. I got into the Sleaford Mods years ago because they said “it’s not just fucking swearing”.
Some is good, some not so good. Listen and decide for yourself.

gorillaguts981

Old-Salt
And what sort of a job can you expect with said degree? Surely making it an academic study de-legitimizes the worth of the performance which by its nature is spontaneous and uses free verse. Pratchett said that humour is like a frog; you can take it apart to see how it works but it's no longer a frog. That being said, I have no time for sub-cultural ramblings that have little to do with my life and values. I am also outside of some decent German wine and feeling grumpy for some reason.

And what sort of a job can you expect with said degree? Surely making it an academic study de-legitimizes the worth of the performance which by its nature is spontaneous and uses free verse. Pratchett said that humour is like a frog; you can take it apart to see how it works but it's no longer a frog. That being said, I have no time for sub-cultural ramblings that have little to do with my life and values. I am also outside of some decent German wine and feeling grumpy for some reason.
I'd take the course if I could be guaranteed to wind up nuts-deep in something like Beyonce Knowles.

I suspect Professor Green is going to have to answer some awkward questions.
Like what was he doing in the library with the candlestick.

This will get you a good job in the City perhaps as high as toilet cleaner or rubbish remover.
Not quite the same as Accountancy or PPE from Oxford, Cambridge or Hull.

sunny james

Old-Salt
As a curmudgeonly but occasionally reasonable old git I have no problem with folk studying for almost anything including rapping or wrapping.
What i do object to is having to pay for it. The most a student will pay back their loan is about £900 a irrespective of income. Most loans will never be repaid thus leaving the taxpayer to foot the bill.
Academia like charities are a business posing as a social good. End of rant.

There is a lot of rap that I cannot stand. I've tried listening to the modern grime, drill and trap sub-genres to attempt to understand where the kids are coming from. I hate them, it just seems to consist of a lot of threats to stab people over a beat or, in the case of Stormzy, repeating a lot of the same phrase over and over again with an occasional verse in between. I also don't like classical music, I just find it incredibly boring.

With that said, when students hear what I consider to be excellent tunes they usually remark that it's old people music. Several years ago two of them walked into a room where I was working with The Fat of the Land by the Prodigy on repeat and I was asked why I was listening to 'crap music'.

Also, bear in mind that you've had the benefit of time to filter out a lot of the dross. Most people look back at the time of their youth as a golden era of music but forget all the utter shite that was in the charts at the same time. Everyone knows Who Are You (1978 ) but conveniently forgets Day Trip To Bangor was released in the next year (and yes, I did have to look those up). Punk gave everyone the Clash, the Sex Pistols etc. but also Nellie the Elephant and Splodgenessabounds.

My early music consisted of max Bygraves, and the immortal "I'm a pink toothbrush" and who can forget the ever popular " I cant find a straight banana" by the irrepressible Prof Jimmy Edwards. all good kids stuff in the 50's. The sixties exploded with the Liverpool sound, and the Beatles, and their American counterparts "The Monkeys" the rest as they say is history. Now today you are spoilt for choice, so many different sounds. One sound that will never fall out of favour are the classics, from English chamber music , some of which induces suicide, to the masters, Bach, Beethoven, Mozart etc all of which have their own styles and adherents. Then we get to country and western, now, like rap some say its all about crippled kids, wronged women, and lame dogs, and some put it on the same level as rap, maybe, its a marmite thing, I can take it or leave it, I favour willy nelson, and Arlo Guthrie. As for opera, no, not at all, its not for me, again its a personal choice. Now we are into the realms of Sinatra, Bennett, Crosby, Bobby Darin, and matt monro, who Sinatra called the best British voice he had ever heard, easy listening, easy on the ear, music that made sense, and flowed, held your attention, pleasing, and now full circle back to rap..............................

gorillaguts981

Old-Salt
I love Early Music and with a few notable exceptions don't like much after the Baroque period. Best thing from Willy Nelson was his comment that having reached 75, he'd outlived his dick.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Placing the apostrophe , if in doubt ask your grocer
Should the apostrophe actually make an appearance in this case? I think my grocer would be slightly confused by its use here>

Latest Threads