A degree in rapping, ( not parcel ) is now on offer from several universities.

Birmingham, Guildford and Middlesex universities are running degrees, I kid you not, in Rapping, that's the ability to speak in verse, with the added complication of making it totally incomprehensible to lovers of the queens English. All of which reinforces my view that what were once the envy of the educated world, have now degenerated to the lowest common denominator, What's next, a degree offered for the in depth psychological analysis of the trauma suffered by Bambi, the placement of the counters used in tiddly winks,? I can only conclude as the student is paying, anything goes, and one wonders as to who is going to insist that the applicant for the job in merchant banking, is the holder of the prestigious diploma in speaking, its a joke it must be., I am totally gob smacked to witness British universities lowering of what were once pristine standards, and subject taught. I strongly think its a bloody wind up, or some prat in the media having a laugh. ( your average rapper is no Einstein, just a random thought)

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
University's ? Really????? :shakefist:

Birmingham, Guildford and Middlesex university's are running degrees, I kid you not, in Rapping,
In the Telegraph - Britain's first ever degree in rap as university offers qualification to find next Stormzy

From that link:
"The Academy of Contemporary Music has decided to host the new course at its campuses at the University of Birmingham, the University of Guildford and Middlesex University."

Funnily enough, I'm not that outraged. It's no more ridiculous than degrees in other varieties of music.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'm outraged that you think rappin is a form of music!
Let me know when you've started listening to music published after Beethoven popped his clogs ;)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Birmingham, Guildford and Middlesex university's are running degrees, I kid you not, in Rapping, that's the ability to speak in verse, with the added complication of making it totally incomprehensible to lovers of the queens English. All of which reinforces my view that what were once the envy of the educated world, have now degenerated to the lowest common denominator, What's next, a degree offered for the in depth psychological analysis of the trauma suffered by Bambi, the placement of the counters used in tiddly winks,? I can only conclude as the student is paying, anything goes, and one wonders as to who is going to insist that the applicant for the job in merchant banking, is the holder of the prestigious diploma in speaking, its a joke it must be., I am totally gob smacked to witness British university's lowering of what were once pristine standards, and subject taught. I strongly think its a bloody wind up, or some prat in the media having a laugh. ( your average rapper is no Einstein, just a random thought)
Like it or not, successful rappers earn a fortune and rap music has both a considerable social influence and a demonstrable cultural impact.

In my humble, it's as worthy of study as any other significant social phenomenon, if only to appreciate why you've just been stabbed.

endure

GCM
Birmingham, Guildford and Middlesex universities are running degrees, I kid you not, in Rapping, that's the ability to speak in verse, with the added complication of making it totally incomprehensible to lovers of the queens English.
A bit like Shakespeare then?

A bit like Shakespeare then?

Friend Shakespeare wrote in the dialect of his day, and it like all dialects needs to be listened to and studied, some like rapping understand it, and some don't, however, unlike rapping, it will be around long after the rappers, and their dross, are long dead and gone.

Toppet

Old-Salt
my spelling is not the issue, its the depths that the education levels of this fractured island have sunk to.
I think you'll find your spelling is a big issue, especially as someone who appears to claim to be a lover of "the queens English".

Have you looked into the course content / modules - or did you just react to a Daily Mail type headline?

I think you'll find your spelling is a big issue, especially as someone who appears to claim to be a lover of "the queens English".

Have you looked into the course content / modules - or did you just react to a Daily Mail type headline?

Only to you or so it seems.
The course content module was shown in the telegraph, and in the context of the subject made sense, but it doesn't detract from the subject matter, which is pure dross, purporting to be a legitimate serious subject for the universities to teach.

Latest Threads