A Decent Motor?

IIRC 13k for road car late 90's ?
Could be right, I think it was early 90's I was offered one. I could be wrong but I think an XR3i was about £11/12k at a the time.

Not many people wanted them at the time, they were blisteringly fast but pretty crude in every other aspect than the mechanicals. All the exotic bodywork was pop riveted on as I remember and I don't think it was even painted.
There was a few about for sale at the time and nobody was buying.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When did you last see a quad cam V12 Toyota from the 1960's?

Jaguar XJ13. There is only one, it was written off once but Jaguar rebuilt it.
Have a look at Youtube and have a listen to it, nothing sounds better )although a Moto Guzzi V8 is close)
Saw it razzing around the ring road in Coventry a few years back.

Massive yes from me...

5CBF70AF-C9BA-4758-BB3F-0D92E834E2B0.jpeg

Could be right, I think it was early 90's I was offered one. I could be wrong but I think an XR3i was about £11/12k at a the time.

Not many people wanted them at the time, they were blisteringly fast but pretty crude in every other aspect than the mechanicals. All the exotic bodywork was pop riveted on as I remember and I don't think it was even painted.
There was a few about for sale at the time and nobody was buying.
I was in exactly the same position, a place in Kings Cross had one with about 20 miles on it, it had been used for exhibitions and then given to a college who also didn't know what to do with it.
The salesman had apparently taken it for a quick spin and came back terrified, this was a man who sold exotica all day long.
I could afford it but had nowhere to keep it, also insurance was out of the question.

In one of my civvy jobs, I drive a lot of different cars. Even if money was no object, I’d still probably get a Nissan Qashquai/X-Trail, or my personal favourite, a VW Golf R (estate version available for those who need more capacity)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If money was absolutely no object, there is only one car that I’d seriously go out of my way to buy.

This was my father in law’s DB5. He purchased it new in 1964 and was the second one he owned after writing the first one off on the village green after a few ales.

It went to the states after he sold it and was imported back to the UK in 1989.

It sold again in 2017 for 537 grand plus premium.

Just looking at that interior I can smell his cigars and aftershave.

8DFFDE93-9FEC-449E-A841-004F3909414C.jpeg
8E1F26B8-C29C-41D0-AC20-546E11BB11A9.jpeg
F2355414-2780-4F38-B9BA-BBB5AE098A63.jpeg
F06D707F-3C82-4C33-A3FE-1984826086F0.jpeg
AFA16208-1087-479B-B8A0-84F4A8C4DAE0.jpeg
E8402B5A-D24C-420B-8F50-1428E53B465A.jpeg
92C03468-6E2B-4A3F-9FC4-981547CEEA05.jpeg

I am genuinely surprised by the lack of new cars being lusted after . Does that say more about us or the state of modern car design ?
@mrboo -- that's cos modern cars are pretty boring and soulless compared to older machinery.

I'm looking for a new car and I'm struggling to find anything that I actually like.

If money was absolutely no object, there is only one car that I’d seriously go out of my way to buy.

This was my father in law’s DB5. He purchased it new in 1964 and was the second one he owned after writing the first one off on the village green after a few ales.

It went to the states after he sold it and was imported back to the UK in 1989.

It sold again in 2017 for 537 grand plus premium.

Just looking at that interior I can smell his cigars and aftershave.

View attachment 417464View attachment 417465View attachment 417466View attachment 417467View attachment 417468View attachment 417469View attachment 417470
has your gAy-Class arrived yet ?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I am genuinely surprised by the lack of new cars being lusted after . Does that say more about us or the state of modern car design ?
I was just having this conversation with my cousin.

There aren’t many modern cars that really excite me. I’m currently in the process of replacing my Merc E class coupe and have had a really hard time choosing something that I actually like. Apart from the Alfa Guilia Quadrofolio, there isn’t much out there that I really want.

I went for a Golf GTD in the end (was gonna get an A Class but the deal fell through) because it’s practical, does what it says on the tin and the missus likes it. It’s coming next Tuesday and I’m not in the least bit excited. Usually I’d be absolutely buzzing at the prospect of getting a new car.

Modern cars seem soulless and dull. They’re basically just all clones of each other that are designed to last the length of their warranty and that’s it.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Ferrari 488 and the like, but I’d take a 288 GTO over one any day of the week.

After many tours, deals, half my 1157 down the surplus store, stealing fuel, making fuel (then selling it) and everything else to make money, after i left the Army i bought a Aston Martin in 2014. Still have it and today put in a mileage claim for work as i use it almost as a daily driver. Never get bored of it with awesome V8 sound now i have racing cats on it and proper gearbox with a stick!
Our Chairman has a Maserati Quatroporte but its a bloody diesel which i rip him constantly. Considered a new Vantage but whilst they are nice and my local Aston dealer keeps trying to get me in one i just cant get rid of mine. Its actually a Ex Aston factory owned car and is the only Fire Red 4.7 in the UK. So i luckily have my "decent motor" but give me the keys to one of these.......
052_nsx_classic.jpg

I always reckoned I'd need three motors; a 4x4 for the shoot, a luxobarge saloon for racking up at the races and something sporty for the dirty weekend away. The sensible choice would be a RR Sport, a Bentley and probably the latest Ferrari F8 Tributo.

However the unsensible but far more interesting choices from the same stables would be;

P1340080.jpg

11214909.jpg

ferrari-512-tr-4.jpg

ETA - I'd also keep the current mrs_mush's UP! GTi. The nearest thing to a Mk1 Golf GTI on the road today. The only car she's owned that I've enjoyed driving.

Last edited:
Can't seem to find a photo of a lightweight Landrover with a mortar strapped to the bonnet. :(

I always reckoned I'd need three motors; a 4x4 for the shoot, a luxobarge saloon for racking up at the races and something sporty for the dirty weekend away. The sensible choice would be a RR Sport, a Bentley and probably the latest Ferrari F8 Tributo.

However the unsensible but far more interesting choices from the same stables would be;

View attachment 417477

View attachment 417478

View attachment 417479

ETA - I'd also keep the current mrs_mush's UP! GTi. The nearest thing to a Mk1 Golf GTI on the road today. The only car she's owned that I've enjoyed driving.
Call me unadventurous, but I'd have the Air Portable any day over the Testarossa. I've driven both, and was singularly unimpressed with the Testarossa. It rode like a dog, and frankly, was embarrassingly slow off the mark. My more recent American trucks are almost as quick out of the gate than that thing was. Fücked at the first bend, obviously, but 935ft/lb of twist takes a bit of beating away from the lights. I was expecting a massive kick in the pants off the Testarossa, but it was more a vague push in the back.

The Air Portable was just fun. Driven quite a few of Aunty Betty's. Being a radio kind of guy with a green suit on, I'd prefer an FFR, but the GS ones were even lighter due no radio kit, and I really enjoyed driving them. But I was in my early 20s, not my early 50s :)

Latest Threads