A DAY IN THE LIFE

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Bloodaxe, Mar 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm really interested in working for the Int Corps but what is the average day like? On the MI5 webiste they have a 'Day in the Life...' page. While MI5 looks interesting I would prefer Army life as I'm a straight single man who has yet to shed his schoolboy fear of relationship commitment.

Anyways - does anyone care to elaborate [without jeopardising opsec of course!] what is normal day is like for OPMI soldier? I wouldn't mind hearing what a Linguist does as well but OPMI looks more interesting.

2. Why would that be a reason for joining the army???
    You might want to rethink that one…

3. Join the Int. Corp and shed your schoolboy trousers, your only relationship commitment will be to drop the straight bit........ they're back door boys, dont believe the banter about back room. Join MI5 and get yourself some university educated "friend".

4. i wouldn't bother, you'd be dissapointed to hear you don't get an aston martin

5. A day in the life, assuming you're a single LCpl.............

Wake up at 0800 with a stinking hangover and no solid recollection of what happened the night before. With lightening speed you shave, shower and don yesterdays uniform by 0815. Walk from the block to work via the cookhouse and get a quick bacon sarnie down your neck. Arrive at the office by 0829, so you can honestly state you were there early, although not the required 5 minutes before a parade.

Spend the rest of the morning hiding at your desk, avoiding interation with any SNCOs, the Sect 2ic or OC. Whilst at your desk, lots of web surfing and solitaire playing is the order of the day (or pinball with the volume turned off).

At 1000, you blag a NAAFI break and go to the NAAFI for a brew and another much needed bacon sarnie. Return to work at 1030 and spend the next 2 hours doing what you did between 0830 and 1000.

At 1230 hours, you go for lunch. This consists of something with chips between 1230 and 1245 and then going back to your room to sleep until 1350. At 1350 you leave your room to head back to the office, where you arrive at 1359 hours.

For the next 3 hours, you merely continue with the same activities you were doing in the morning. Yu may include, however, e-mailing your mates and (of course) posting on ARRSE.

At 1700 you are released from your day of drudgery and go to your unfeasibly early evening meal. At 1730 you then retire to bed for the day........until 1830.

At 1830 you rise from your second slumber of the day and shower and dress yourself in your best drinking/trapping gear. At 1900 you then go to the nearest open bar on camp. After spending approximately 2 hours in the bar, you then get a taxi to your favourite spot down town.

Whilst down town you trap off with the first girl/guy (delete according to gender or sexual preference) that shows you the slightest bit of interest. If this doesn't happen you merely wait until last orders and pull the pig that's left.

After going back to his/hers, you engage in drunken coupling for a period not exceding 5 minutes and then make your excuses and leave. On the way back to camp, you stop off at the kebab shop for much needed sustenance on the way back to your own bed. You then collapse in a drunken heap on the bed cuddling the remnants of your uneaten kebab.

You then wake up at 0800 with a stinking hangover and no solid recollection of what happened the night before.....................................

Ahh, the simple life of a first tour LCpl. Sometimes I miss it so much............

6. So does that mean you don't do any intel work during the day...unless there's a war going on?

7. Let's assume you're posted to a Bde/Div Int Sect. Unless you're on tour/preparing for a tour there's fcuk all to do. Unless you're in a Bde MI Sect in Germany, where there are bone Sy tasks to fill your day. Assuming you're in a Sy roled MI Sect, unless you have a report to finish or an inspection to carry out again there's fcuk all to do. The secret is to keep your head down, never underestimate the power of the grey man!

8. So, generally, there's sweet FA to do as an OPMI unless you're in Basra or Sierra Leone or somewhere where there's conflict. Why join then?

9. "Let's assume you're posted to a Bde/Div Int Sect. Unless you're on tour/preparing for a tour there's fcuk all to do. Unless you're in a Bde MI Sect in Germany, where there are bone Sy tasks to fill your day. Assuming you're in a Sy roled MI Sect, unless you have a report to finish or an inspection to carry out again there's fcuk all to do. The secret is to keep your head down, never underestimate the power of the grey man"

And your lot continue to slag off the darkside. I think the life of a linguist is a bit better than that. Might not have many windows to look out of but a bit more interesting than the life you depict. And you get paid for doing what exactly??

10. In answer to your questions, the basic Int/Sy jobs are the bread and butter. There are numerous other postings out there where you work your arrse off and have a genuine contribution to make to the benefit of your fellow soldier. In the career of nearly every Operator is at least one job so good, that it makes your entire career thus far worth the effort. I had jobs based in the UK mainland where I've been worked harder than on any Op tour I've done. Also, when you've done 6 months in Iraq, you deserve to mong it for the rest of your 2 year tour when you return. One last point, my original post was a bit tounge in cheek and heavily exaggerated. You should expect nothing less in this forum!

11. I fukcin wish

:(

12. because most of us want to join the army first and foremost. when you see your options, and if you are of a certain type of person, its a choice that makes itself.

ie 6 months on the piss at chicksands, followed by 1st job as a LCpl, where generally you are treated like an adult and use first names at work, or, 6 months at ...deepcut for example, followed by 5-6 years as a Private soldier. Work it out.

If you think the Sy Service is anything like the Int Corps, you are sadly mistaken. It is all of the deskwork, with few of the opportunities for reckless abandon! ;)

also....even first tour lance jacks have more expendable income than many in the Sy Service, once you consider their rubbish pay( considering their abilities/qualifications) and living in or travelling to London to work.

and no, you are not always busy, but is that a bad thing? do you really want to be on ops 365 days a year every year? i think not.

13. No two days are ever the same:

one day you are getting landrovers covered in sh1te, the next day you are painting them

One day you are writing sh1te reports, and in the twinkling of an eye ( in which 20 years flashed past) you are correcting them.

One day you roll in pi55ed, and the boss says go back to bed, in the twinkling of an eye you roll in p155ed and the LCPL straight out of training says: Boss, go back to bed....

and on that tenuous thread hangs a £50K publishers advance and a serialisation option in the Sunday Telegraph!!!

14. All depends where you sit in the food chain, a LCpl with no repsonsibilities has nothing to do. The Sect SNCO/WO might be a bit more occupied.......

15. :([/quote]

All depends where you sit in the food chain, a LCpl with no repsonsibilities has nothing to do. The Sect SNCO/WO might be a bit more occupied.......[/quote]

Fair 1 - oh to be a lance jack again