A CV Question

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Berlin_104s, Sep 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening All!

A quick question with regard to a CV.

I am attending a jobs/recruitment fair next month. What type of CV should I take with me?

I don't think I should be taking one that is too position/job specific because there will be a multitude of companies there. But equally I don't want to take one that is too general/broad-brush either.

Does anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions.

Many thanks

Berlin

2. Have you considered the functional CV? In short this should have:

Name & contact details;

A brief personal summary;

A series of paragraphs describing your skills (e.g. recruiting, management, financial) with specific examples;

Your career history presented as a list.

This format is recommended in Martin John Yate's "Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions" (Kogan Page, 7th edition 2008 ) for people who have changed career, who's current responsibilities don't relate to their desired job, or who's current career is in the doldrums.

The list of skills should put those most relevant to the type of post you are after to the fore and promote skills without saying where you obtained them. The actual employers, job titles & employment dates are de-emphasised by putting them at the bottom.

Best of luck: after a long period of interim posts my preferred kind of client has dried up so I've been doing some severe CV redesign & reassessment of what it is that I'm not just capable of doing but also enjoy doing & want to do!

3. How about... Take along a memory stick with a comprehensive version of your CV on it, maybe scan some qualifications/certificates as well. Include some referees details too. Then if you need to quickly produce a full CV, you'll have it with you.

4. msr

msr LE

Keep it to one page and don't make it cramped to read.

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

All comments have merit. I work in a tech type industry where **** detail goes down well, they want to know what you know, sometimes to a very deep level.

One page is sometimes great, but you have to sing from that single page, not always possible if a wide knowledge is being sought. My CV varies from 3 to 7 pages depending who I'm trying to impress.

I don't think there is a single right answer to be honest. You have to try to appeal to whoever you are talking to based on what you know of the position. Not going to help much at a job fair I know.

What I will say is that if you are good you will do well anywhere, big yourself up by all means but never lie. And remember your CV only gets you the interview, the interview gets you the job. Best of luck.

6. Capt Plume has got it right - the days of long lists of jobs and things you claim to have done are over. I would add a section on key achievements as the last section - remember to include the EFFECT of your achievement - e.g. "designed and introduced a new system of bar chits, delivering a profit windfall of 100% for the Mess"

Full CV - why? no one is ever going to bother to check that in 1990 you did X for Y company. No one would remember even if the same people are still there.

A Resume is designed to get the interview, nothing more. Make it good. It's all about what you can offer the company in the future - not what you "claim" to have done in the past.

They'll do the reference checks themselves and stalk you on 192.com, facebook, twitter etc

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Hootch has some valid points, but what you've done in the past is kind of what qualifies you for the job you are looking at, experience is everything in my, well experience.

References are minor, only ever offer up people who will sing your praises, don't ever try to be objective, it will end in tears, as I found out once, someone you trusted will stab you in the back when you least expect it. Online wise, be nice on Facebook :)

There is no formula for success, adapt for each position. Being an ex squaddie, you have this built in anyway.

8. The ability to not appear on such websites is also a much under-estimated skill!

Litotes

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Indeed, keep your online persona anonymous, you only have to read the newspapers to see how it can screw you.

10. Wow a 7 page CV -- rather impressive. I personally would not submit such an epistle, tend to keep mine shorter and highlight any specific 'qualification' for the position I am applying for. In the interview I tend to go into more detail and background so they have a more indepth view of me. The secret is to make an impact in the CV stage without over-doing it. Achieve the interview and blind them with your acumen.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm a consultant and they tend to want to know what you can do. Interviews are a phone call, not a detailed sit down affair, they're not flying you out to Hong Kong for a chat but looking at your experience and deciding if you can add to the project. What I do is a world wide thing and not London or Birmingham, you need to look at the bigger picture.

I am still amazed they will pay a six figure salary based on a few bits of paper and a five minute phone call, but they do.

12. I was told on the resettlement that 2 pages was good. Person profile and then 4 or 5 bulletin points about your current role. He said that it should be about 30 secs to read that, as that's all they'll read that first before they decide to go any further. Then previous roles and other information. No more than 2 pages.

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Experience is key. If you are 25 then you can get that over in 2 pages. As you get a bit older and you need to demonstrate a wider breadth of knowledge, 2 pages don't do it. As you get more senior you need to show more than the basics.

Others experiences may differ, but telling what I've done has stood me in good stead.