A covenant of fairness and equality?

I personally know someone very well who has been on the RAF Field Gun Team ( marrying one of my daughters )
When I first heard he was at a Competition for this one weekend I had a WTF moment .... RN does Field Gun and RHA/RA does Field Gun, both with historical roots.

But RAF ?
From the point of view of the actual participants - good on them. Strength, fitness, teamwork etc and what's a missing digit or two amongst mates.
But who in the elevated Realms of the RAF thought that it was appropriate for his Service to get involved - and why ?
When personnel and Sqns are being cut - this does seem a misuse of manpower.

As@Magic_Mushroom used to point out regularly, the British Army has so much manpower tied up in bands that if you reallocated the JPANs then you could solve the RN's seagoing deficiencies at one stroke.

As@Magic_Mushroom used to point out regularly, the British Army has so much manpower tied up in bands that if you reallocated the JPANs then you could solve the RN's seagoing deficiencies at one stroke.

My point was more about the historical relevance - whilst acknowledging pressures on manpower.
The RAF, Army and RN/RM have always had bands and their relevance is just as important now as it ever was. All of them have a full schedule what with Recruit Pass Out Parades, State events, Overseas ( Mumbai 2 days ago ), UK public performances. Some even are tasked with frontline roles bringing ammunition forward and casualties rearwards.
As the RN has this seagoing manning problem - lets have the new CDS stand up and make an issue of it now, and loudly to increase numbers there.

My point was more about the historical relevance - whilst acknowledging pressures on manpower.
The RAF, Army and RN/RM have always had bands and their relevance is just as important now as it ever was. All of them have a full schedule what with Recruit Pass Out Parades, State events, Overseas ( Mumbai 2 days ago ), UK public performances. Some even are tasked with frontline roles bringing ammunition forward and casualties rearwards.
As the RN has this seagoing manning problem - lets have the new CDS stand up and make an issue of it now, and loudly to increase numbers there.

My bold:
No, they're not. Not at the rate of 42 of them, at any rate. The RAF has 2 or 3, likewise the RN, and each of those two Services are approx 40% of the size of the Army (33,000 vice 75,000). If the Army were 'Band resourced' in proportion to the RN / RAF, they'd have about 8.

I get the importance of heritage, and it is something that I think the Army / RM bands do spectacularly well, in the case of the former I simply don't think it's worth the resource that is invested in it. Nor are they a massive recruiting tool - kids are interested in either career prospects or military kit / things that go whoosh, whizz and bang.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I think you are confused. The Armed Forces Covenant didn’t come into being until 2000.
It was being discussed at Staff College in 1990. These things tend to take a decade to evolve.

My bold:
No, they're not. Not at the rate of 42 of them, at any rate. The RAF has 2 or 3, likewise the RN, and each of those two Services are approx 40% of the size of the Army (33,000 vice 75,000). If the Army were 'Band resourced' in proportion to the RN / RAF, they'd have about 8.

I get the importance of heritage, and it is something that I think the Army / RM bands do spectacularly well, in the case of the former I simply don't think it's worth the resource that is invested in it. Nor are they a massive recruiting tool - kids are interested in either career prospects or military kit / things that go whoosh, whizz and bang.

Totally agreed it is a pretty poor recruiting tool nowadays, which is why I left it out of the raison d'etre.
On the rare occasion I have ever seen them play in a bandstand in the park, it was mostly to OAPs.

There are plenty of other events which would be lessened , without music.
And if they are worth doing - they are worth doing well.

Don't cut the Bands - increase Manning.

Totally agreed it is a pretty poor recruiting tool nowadays, which is why I left it out of the raison d'etre.
On the rare occasion I have ever seen them play in a bandstand in the park, it was mostly to OAPs.

There are plenty of other events which would be lessened , without music.
And if they are worth doing - they are worth doing well.

Unlike you I don't think I've ever seen a military band "play in a bandstand in the park". On the other hand, I've seen and enjoyed military bands and pipes and drums playing and influencing on many public occasions... I agree with your last sentence.

As they haven't hit recruiting targets for most of the last 30 years they aren't likely to increase manning anytime soon.

lextalionis

War Hero
Modern society's 'values' seem to be dictated by whichever loosely knit identity group (and their fellow travelers in the media) is currently most adept at bullying politicians and other influential people.

If they're not actually breaking the law, veterans should speak their minds, as should everybody else. To hell with self-appointed censors and social arbiters.

Fine words on my part, it gets a little tougher if your privacy, career, or even physical safety is at stake.
Are they though? While it does seem we've all turned into Pavlov's dogs for whatever today's Crusade might be, were we really all killing and beating minorities before the Golden Dawn of Equality? No.

People are more guarded about what they say (at least in public or at work) but are they nicer, better or more polite people than, say, twenty-five years ago? I don't think so, to be honest. Yet they seem far more self-congratulating than back then.

Latest Threads