A covenant of fairness and equality?

I must say this has confused me in the past, I have no recollection of saying any oath but many say they did, this is 1980, I thought it was me having forgotten, seems not the case.
The peculiar thing is the reason for it's introduction has no basis on factual need. It was introduced on the whim of one person's opinion.

The 2006 Armed Forces Act occurred before the HMS Cornwall (Iranian hostages debacle) and had nothing to do with oaths or loyalty in the inquiry aftermath.

Yokel

LE
The peculiar thing is the reason for it's introduction has no basis on factual need. It was introduced on the whim of one person's opinion.

The 2006 Armed Forces Act occurred before the HMS Cornwall (Iranian hostages debacle) and had nothing to do with oaths or loyalty in the inquiry aftermath.

I thought that one of the consequences of that was that naval training was reviewed by a senior RM Officer who decided that an oath should be sworn?

Actually that is what you just said. I probably learnt it from one of your posts.

Doh?

AFA 06 simply replaced the three single service acts.

Perhaps AFD needs binning, or replaced with an annual open day at military bases.
I recall an open day in BAOR in the 70s, where a bunch of former Wehrmacht gunners had a whale of a time reenacting gun drills on the ceremonial 25 pounder.
Or another, at a Bundeswehr camp, where the garrison teamed with local shooting clubs to lay on an opportunity for anyone to have a go with assorted weaponry.
Balloons pinned to a sheet of 8x4, a loaded Uzi, and prizes for most popped on full auto.
G3s with a 22 sub calibre liner on a 200m range, and so on.
The public enjoy it, the troops get to show off ( and meet young ladies), and not a busby nor drill in sight.
I had to give you a funny for the line about the former Wehrmacht gunners doing gun drills on the 25 pounder. Were they shouting out 'Achtung Panzer ?

A lot of that nonsense was influenced by the American adulation of its armed forces and not (entirely healthy) obeisance and unctuous exaggerated gratitude towards veterans.
Thats to do with the huge guilt feeling that they have for the absolutely appaling way they treated their Vietnam veterans. They should have sent Hanoi Jane to the electic chair.

Yokel

LE
Thats to do with the huge guilt feeling that they have for the absolutely appaling way they treated their Vietnam veterans. They should have sent Hanoi Jane to the electic chair.

If she loved Communism so much, why did she not f*** off and live there? Being anti war was her democratic right, but her collusion with the North Vietnamese involved passing on information which the dirty Communist bustards used to torture POWs. I am sure she was also involved in pro Soviet propaganda at a times of human rights repression within the USSR and Eastern Bloc?

Scum.

Gutted. No argument thus far.

Looking forward to observations when/if Armed Forces Day is eventually pulled due to the general consensus of those serving and actually asked their opinion by government.

In truth, I was just wondering whether to buy a decent blazer or to stick with Primani for next year :)
Planning ongoing for 2022, with a view to holding the national event somewhere in Cornwall.

If she loved Communism so much, why did she not f*** off and live there? Being anti war was her democratic right, but her collusion with the North Vietnamese involved passing on information which the dirty Communist bustards used to torture POWs. I am sure she was also involved in pro Soviet propaganda at a times of human rights repression within the USSR and Eastern Bloc?

Scum.

A healthier society would pay minimal attention to the attention seeking wibbling of actors, celebrities and 'sporting heroes' in the first place. Hanoi Jane was just the extreme example of everything that's wrong with the celebrity industry.

Planning ongoing for 2022, with a view to holding the national event somewhere in Cornwall.
Could be wrong, but the Armed Forces Day National Event was meant to be in Scarborough in 2020 & 2021 and in both were cancelled, so my guess is they will be hoping for a 3rd time lucky.

Genuinely think Amed Forces Day is not going to be funded by Central government fairly soon.

Could be wrong, but the Armed Forces Day National Event was meant to be in Scarborough in 2020 & 2021 and in both were cancelled, so my guess is they will be hoping for a 3rd time lucky.

Genuinely think Amed Forces Day is not going to be funded by Central government fairly soon.
Yes. According to the AFD website, "the next Armed Forces Day National Event will be hosted by Scarborough Bough Council in June 2022." As you know the main date is the last Saturday in June, i.e. Saturday 25 June 2022.

AFD is one of those outputs from the Good Ideas Club that simply failed to hit the target.

After Blair cancelled the Royal Tournament - closing our best recruitment opportunity shortly before engaging in two wars - this was a sop to fill the gap, wherein local government and commercial enterprise were supposed to lay on events to celebrate local service persons.

Instead the services - more often than not reservists - are tasked to lay on a parade or two, and set up stands to show off what they do. I am pretty sure that manning a stand to give away a heap of pencils is not quite what was anticipated. AFD has become something AF do, rather than something the AF are invited along to enjoy. Even the photo on the AF website shows Sea Cadets marching, rather than any SP enjoying a free BBQ and swim at the local Lido.

Furthermore I have always questioned the required outcome of "Uniform to Work Day" where reservists are expected to wear uniform whilst carrying out their civvy jobs. Just seems a mix of giving away your service identity to those that don't need to know, or walting to those that already know.

AFD needs a massive re-think, top to bottom.

Blair “cancelled” the Royal Tournament? Citation needed…

AFD is one of those outputs from the Good Ideas Club that simply failed to hit the target.

After Blair cancelled the Royal Tournament - closing our best recruitment opportunity

Best recruiting opportunity?

Yokel

LE

I thought that it got the axe after the 1998 Strategic Defence Review as it did need a lot of manpower - I mean things like fully manned Field Gun teams, all the training for the ceremonial aspects and completely unrealistic mock battles.

Best recruiting opportunity?

Who knows - somehow I doubt it.

clanky

War Hero
I thought that it got the axe after the 1998 Strategic Defence Review as it did need a lot of manpower - I mean things like fully manned Field Gun teams, all the training for the ceremonial aspects and completely unrealistic mock battles.

Who knows - somehow I doubt it.
It was common knowledge that the 3 field gun teams took a T42 amount of manpower out of the system every year.

Yokel

LE
It was common knowledge that the 3 field gun teams took a T42 amount of manpower out of the system every year.

I know - absurd really. I wonder what the injury rate was? How many men could not return to their normal roles as they had lost fingers? Were any studies done as to whether having been a Field Gunner made a better sailor?

I am equally cynical about totally unrealistic displays.

clanky

War Hero
I know - absurd really. I wonder what the injury rate was? How many men could not return to their normal roles as they had lost fingers? Were any studies done as to whether having been a Field Gunner made a better sailor?

losing digits was relatively rare. Field gun was its own little fiefdom, with some blokes going out of the loop for 3 years.

I should think he was involved. The Strategic Defence Review was a policy document produced in July 1998 by Labour that had gained power the year previously. The Review was supposed to enhance the UK armed forces.
The Tournament lost money in 1998, and the 1999 was the last one. So an easy target I suppose.

green_slime

War Hero
not being productive in terms of military effect is dodgy ground to cancel things. I might lead to people looking at;

Horses for the cavalry
Changing the Guard
Red Arrows
Musicians
Raf Regiment

I personally know someone very well who has been on the RAF Field Gun Team ( marrying one of my daughters )
When I first heard he was at a Competition for this one weekend I had a WTF moment .... RN does Field Gun and RHA/RA does Field Gun, both with historical roots.

But RAF ?
From the point of view of the actual participants - good on them. Strength, fitness, teamwork etc and what's a missing digit or two amongst mates.
But who in the elevated Realms of the RAF thought that it was appropriate for his Service to get involved - and why ?
When personnel and Sqns are being cut - this does seem a misuse of manpower.

Latest Threads