A counter-boycott of Britain? Its a stupid idea!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,2094714,00.html

Israeli groups are planning to launch a counter-boycott of Britain in response to a series of boycotts proposed by British unions and associations.

The counter-measures include an email campaign to convince North Americans to boycott British goods and services and a threat by union workers to refuse to unload British exports to Israel.
I hope that our Israeli friends would not impose any sanction, because it could harm British economy

Britain exported £1.35bn of goods and services to Israel in 2005, with Israel exporting about half the amount to the UK. Other groups said they would launch anti-British initiatives.
In a widely circulated email, a "friend of Israel" urged Israel's supporters in the United States and Canada to boycott British products.
I believe that later or sooner British organisation will abandon a silly idea to boycott Israel.

In this context, so called counter-boycott of the UK would be wrong decision. I sincerely hope that it will not take place.

Once again Israel seeking to involve others in it's shennanigans.

I don't think a majority of North Americans are even going to consider such a boycott against the United Kingdom anytime soon. In fact it may even encourage a long overdue call in the USA to ask Israel to "grow the f*ck up"

Thanks mostly to the Celestial Navigator (POHAH). Hurry up and boycott us Israel, it may well clarify some thinking.

Will they be banning British Jewish business exports and travellers as well?

Americans have someone special in their lives; themselves. They will buy what they want to regardless of it's origin, the same as most people do. The Israeli stance is a paper tiger

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Dilfor said:
I wasn't aware that we make or sell anything of any use to other countries any more?
I was going to say something about the UK's manufacturing base, but you beat me to it...

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
In general reply to the post this was bound to happen, and actually should happen. It would be pretty damn silly if Israelis all rushed out to buy British goods as a result of the proposed boycott...

Nehustan said:
Dilfor said:
I wasn't aware that we make or sell anything of any use to other countries any more?
I was going to say something about the UK's manufacturing base, but you beat me to it...
Few years ago I baught Dyson vacuum cleaner. It works nicely.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
KGB_resident said:
Nehustan said:
Dilfor said:

You anglophile, Sergey. Do you have marmalade on toast with tea in the morning?

Nehustan said:
KGB_resident said:
Nehustan said:
Dilfor said:

You can laugh Nehustan, but my answer is yes. Recent years I prefer Ahmad (English N.1 or Earl Grey). Though sometimes I use jam instead of marmalade.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
It was a jovial question, but good to see that the UK is still great, and exporting its wares to the right kind of people ;) All that money spent on the BBC World Service by the F(C)O seems to be doing the trick...

KGB_resident said:
Nehustan said:
KGB_resident said:
Nehustan said:
Dilfor said:

You can laugh Nehustan, but my answer is yes. Recent years I prefer Ahmad (English N.1 or Earl Grey). Though sometimes I use jam instead of marmalade.
Dysons are made in Malaysia.

Both tea and citrus fruit-based marmalade are out as well for obvious climatic reasons, but we could probably run to some British-made jam (if we have any farmers left, that is).

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Israel is more than welcome to come over here and bomb the uni-unions on our behalf.

Trade with Israel is a good thing, in both directions.

All those cretins that think Israel is wrong to exist need to fcuk off and move to the ME where they can be surrounded by their enlightened brothers.

All those cretins that think Israel is wrong to exist need to fcuk off and move to the ME where they can be surrounded by their enlightened brothers.
Sorry , where was that said?

Dilfor said:
Plans to move production were declared in 2002 and it required time. So I believe my vacuum cleaner was made in the UK.

Dilfor said:
Plans to move production were declared in 2002 and it required time. So I believe my vacuum cleaner was made in the UK.

technical fault

Dilfor said:
Apparently the only thing made in Britain worth exporting to the middle east is British Squaddies*. More than happy that Isreal boycotts that.

*Warning: Accessories may not function correctly.

KGB_resident said:
Dilfor said:
A collectors item!

The British Museum will be interested in that one day :wink:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
PartTimePongo said:
Sorry , where was that said?
All these leftie hand-wringers and pro-boycott unions are complaining about the fact that Israel exists in occupied territories, including the West Bank and Gaza.

What they forget to mention was that the UN created the partitions after Britain handed over the mandate. The Arabs and Jews immediately fought a war over the dump as 'Palestine' had officially ceased to exist in the previous mandate form. Israel took an extra 26% of Palestine, Jordan took another 26% (West Bank) and Egypt grabbed Gaza

The new borders of Israel did not include the West Bank OR Gaza at that time. The West Bank was captured and annexed by Jordan with no concern for the U.N., or the previous mandated territories, Egypt captured and annexed Gaza for itself.

Following the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, the 1949 Armistice Agreements between Israel and neighboring Arab states eliminated Palestine as a distinct territory. With the establishment of Israel, the remaining lands were divided amongst Egypt, Syria and Jordan.

The Palestinians didn't seem to complain too much when they had been annexed by Israel, Jordan, Syria AND Egypt!

It wasn't until the Yom Kippur war in which a bunch of Arab neighbors including Syria, Jordan and Egypt tried to invade Israel and push it into the sea (and lost) that the Palestinians decided that actually, the West Bank and Gaza were part of Palestine and that the aggressor wasn't the previous invaders (Jordan and Egypt), but Israel (because they were Jews, it was NOT alright for them to annex anything!).

One of the main reasons for the Yom Kippur War (apart from the mis-information campaigns run by the US) was so that the neighboring Arab states could try for not only annexing all the Israeli lands, but also the rest of the so-called 'Palestinian' territories - they did not attempt to invade Israel et al. to save their Palestinian brothers - they wanted to grab the lands for themselves! Had the invading arab armies managed to defeat Israel, there would not have been a chance in hell of them allowing the state of Palestine to exist - it would have been divided up amongst the winners.

Before all this kicked off, and before the British got the mandate, the whole place was called Transjordan, NOT Palestine! Palestine, in the long history of things existed as a state for about 5 minutes. Before that (and before the local sheiks asked Britain to administer the place), it belonged to the Ottoman empire!

So, whose lands are the Israelis occupying? Jordan's? Transjordan's? Egypt's? Syria's? Lebanon's? or The Ottoman Empire's?

Edited to add: Before Islam was even a religion, 'palestine' was run by the Jewish, and Hellenic tribes, and Romans, and Roman Christians, and Persians, and Ottomans and just about every other bugger APART from 'Palestinians'!