A compatibility issue out of the blue? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Yokel, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My PC is a slightly odd beast, orignally a HP A330 but it has had a number of failures, and as such has had a new hard drive, case, motherboard, PSU and a major RAM insertion.

The original specs were:

HP Pavilion a330.uk
    260+ (1.91GHz)
    AMD Athlon XP
    256MB DDR
    HP DVD writer
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX-440
    64 MB video memory
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft works suite 2003
    v92 ready modem
    IEEE 1394 interface

In the last 12+ months I've had an issue with internet connection speed, although I believe this is down to BT as they provide the PTSN system which is used for ADSL type stuff. Odd that I got twice my current speed for a brief time last year. I wonder if it's due to living in the sticks?

Anyway, on Sunday evening I found that the internet would not work - indeed there was no internet connection. No problem, I tried to fix it using System Restore. No luck. OK, tried manually creating a broadband connection, but had to contact AOL to get some details. It worked! However...

When Adobe Flash Player was re-installed, it caused a new problem, one that had not occured before. When clicking START, TURN OFF COMPUTER and either TURN OFF or HIBERNATE (STANDBY but with SHIFT held down) it keeps appearing to freeze for a few minutes. I've tried using System Restore again and the problem occurs every time Flash Player is installed. At the moment it is not installed because of these problems.

Until Sunday Flash Player was on my machine and caused no problems. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is now, and what I can do about it?

Thanks.

2. It appears to be intermittent thing whether or not Flashplayer is installed....

3. msr

msr LE

Buy a new one?

4. Err thanks. This issue is annoying, but I can live with it. Must tell anyone else who might use it that they need to wait after clicking TURN OFF COMPUTER. That's it.

Anyway, its insured, and if/when it goes tits up again, they'll replace it.

5. do a virus check, as I was attacked by a denial of service bot on sunday evening lost my OS. Had to do a full reinstall, Norton know about this DOS attack as they have been flooded with calls.

6. msr

msr LE

It all depends on how much your time is worth.

msr

7. Good point. But it's only a few moments, and I'm generally pottering about...

In a hurry, there's always the switch where the mains lead comes in, though that is a slighty risky option.

Anyway, must deal with a thousand other issues first!

8. msr

msr LE

You could try a complete re-install, but given the problems which you have outlined in the original post, I think getting a new one (how old is the machine?) may be the best solution.

msr

9. Top tip. Bin AOL.

10. Ain't nothin' to do with AOL.