A company 2nd Battalion of Artillery in Mercara, Madras, India

I'm trying to find more information about the A company 2nd Battalion of Artillery in Mercara, Madras, India circa 1838, which an ancestor was a Gunner in. Searches on find my past, the national archives website and just plain googling finds either nothing or varying military units that are similarly named but are not a match.

I have not been able to find confirmed military records for my ancestor, only some baptism, death and marriage records on find my past from their India collection. I know that a lot of individual records have been lost but surely there's something about the regiment if not the soldier, and I can't even find that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(ancestor btw is George Bailey, born 1809 in Rowsley, Derbyshire; in 1838 Gunner of the A company 2nd Battalion of Artillery and Bachelor living in Mercara, Madras, India; in 1841 Pensioned Bombardier late of the 2nd Battalion Artillery living with his wife and daughter in Madras, India; by 1848 he was back home in Derbyshire)

I'm trying to find more information about the A company 2nd Battalion of Artillery in Mercara, Madras, India circa 1838, which an ancestor was a Gunner in. Searches on find my past, the national archives website and just plain googling finds either nothing or varying military units that are similarly named but are not a match.

I have not been able to find confirmed military records for my ancestor, only some baptism, death and marriage records on find my past from their India collection. I know that a lot of individual records have been lost but surely there's something about the regiment if not the soldier, and I can't even find that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(ancestor btw is George Bailey, born 1809 in Rowsley, Derbyshire; in 1838 Gunner of the A company 2nd Battalion of Artillery and Bachelor living in Mercara, Madras, India; in 1841 Pensioned Bombardier late of the 2nd Battalion Artillery living with his wife and daughter in Madras, India; by 1848 he was back home in Derbyshire)
I too am trying to find information about george bailey and his wife sarah burrows.
george is my 3rd greatgrandfather. I am also trying to find information on sarahs father charles Burrows. did you manage to find out anymore.

Latest Threads