A colleague has been banned. Why?

Ok so who is the eldest statesman on here, a polite way of saying own up to being the oldest old curmudgeon

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Spammers hit this site at an alarming rate. Sometimes dozens a week. Despite the Admins best efforts at upgrades and anti-Spam protocols they still get through, it is a real battle to keep these critters at bay.

There are lots of members here that report Spam. @FourZeroCharlie is but one of these, but by far the biggest help in keeping this site free of crap, he does a terriffic, thankless task and I personally hope he continues to do so. Members that report Spam, do just that. they report it. Only mods or Admin can delete Spam and mods do not take it for granted that a reported user is Spam.

Once a member joins there is a finite amount of time that we have to use the sites Spam tools. Some 'sleepers' get through and it then becomes more difficult to make a clean break from them.

To those that ask, do Admin look at mods decisions to Spam? They do not. They do not overlord any decisions a mod makes, on any part of the site, we are trusted to look after their site and unless a mod is seen to be abusing mods privalages, we are pretty much left alone in our decision making.

Spammers come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, from all sort of countries. It is not all India and China. These places are looked at along with email addresses, dates of birth and avatars. Individuals are not canned purely on a username.

Aye, I agree that a mistake can be made and a perfectly innocent user gets hoofed. This has happened to me, once. I have hoofed hundreds and hundreds of Spammers and got one wrong. That user contacted Admin and asked why they could not access the site. Admin contacted me and asked for my opinion. They were reinstated immediatly with no drama.

For those that are having a go at FourZeroCharlie, he is trying to look after this site and needs help in that struggle, not individuals having a pop at him/her/it.

It is an issue when a legitimate new member is treated as Spam, but it is a mistake that can be fixed and I'd rather lose one in a couple of thousand, of these fixes, than relax the terriffic work that goes on, unrewarded by committed site members.

We were being polite. We tried many means of creating a new IP for Druzil, but not possible UK to Canada. It reblocked those we could create.

He is a very silly billy who is now feeling all got at and personal becuase he didn't check it all the way through.

I have no beef with FZC himself. I enjoy his posts. He apologised earliuer on.

But his actions were unneccesarily precipitate and having been through this before we had even put warnings in place in advance to avoid just this sort of outcome.

A knee-jerk chapping will not bring my world down, Olaf.
I don’t follow why the Canadian can’t just use his mobile using data link rather than wifi to set up a new account, would be a different IP address and problem solved, or am incorrect in that line of thinking?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Spammers hit this site at an alarming rate. Sometimes dozens a week. Despite the Admins best efforts at upgrades and anti-Spam protocols they still get through, it is a real battle to keep these critters at bay.

There are lots of members here that report Spam. @FourZeroCharlie is but one of these, but by far the biggest help in keeping this site free of crap, he does a terriffic, thankless task and I personally hope he continues to do so. Members that report Spam, do just that. they report it. Only mods or Admin can delete Spam and mods do not take it for granted that a reported user is Spam.

Once a member joins there is a finite amount of time that we have to use the sites Spam tools. Some 'sleepers' get through and it then becomes more difficult to make a clean break from them.

To those that ask, do Admin look at mods decisions to Spam? They do not. They do not overlord any decisions a mod makes, on any part of the site, we are trusted to look after their site and unless a mod is seen to be abusing mods privalages, we are pretty much left alone in our decision making.

Spammers come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, from all sort of countries. It is not all India and China. These places are looked at along with email addresses, dates of birth and avatars. Individuals are not canned purely on a username.

Aye, I agree that a mistake can be made and a perfectly innocent user gets hoofed. This has happened to me, once. I have hoofed hundreds and hundreds of Spammers and got one wrong. That user contacted Admin and asked why they could not access the site. Admin contacted me and asked for my opinion. They were reinstated immediatly with no drama.

For those that are having a go at FourZeroCharlie, he is trying to look after this site and needs help in that struggle, not individuals having a pop at him/her/it.

It is an issue when a legitimate new member is treated as Spam, but it is a mistake that can be fixed and I'd rather lose one in a couple of thousand, of these fixes, than relax the terriffic work that goes on, unrewarded by committed site members.
  1. This finite time is apparently over two months, since it seems that's how long it took from report to ban this time?
  2. FromTheStar will be reinstated immediately as previously?
  3. I do, sincerely, agree that it's a thankless task, so here, please accept mine in advance for resolving this one.

Arte: I agree with everything you say. And for the reason you say. As I have said, I have no personal beef with FZC bar that the deliberate efforts on our part to save wasting a future spammer-hunter's time were overlooked: that is genuinely frustrating. It would be nice if reinstating the FromTheStar account was a simple fix .

HLD-DMR - Various methods were tried, by us, him and moderators - we had a lot of moderator help to try and sort it - but for various reasons he was reblocked or the account/s would not work for various reasons. Mostly becuase the account was deleted while logged on.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
  1. This finite time is apparently over two months, since it seems that's how long it took from report to ban this time?
  2. FromTheStar will be reinstated immediately as previously?
  3. I do, sincerely, agree that it's a thankless task, so here, please accept mine in advance for resolving this one.
Arte: I agree with everything you say. And for the reason you say. As I have said, I have no personal beef with FZC bar that the deliberate efforts on our part to save wasting a future spammer-hunter's time were overlooked: that is genuinely frustrating. It would be nice if reinstating the FromTheStar account was a simple fix .

HLD-DMR - Various methods were tried, by us, him and moderators - we had a lot of moderator help to try and sort it - but for various reasons he was reblocked or the account/s would not work for various reasons. Mostly becuase the account was deleted while logged on.

Unfortunately once a Spammer has ben zapped, it is then out of a mods control. Only Admin can start the process of sorting out an error. Ususally the Individual that has been on the wrong end of an anti Spam protocol contacts Admin directly, using the email >admin@arrse.co.uk<

@Good CO
@Bad CO

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately once a Spammer has ben zapped, it is then out of a mods control. Only Admin can start the process of sorting out an error. Ususally the Individual that has been on the wrong end of an anti Spam protocol contacts Admin directly, using the email >admin@arrse.co.uk<

@Good CO
@Bad CO
I've passed on your suggestion. Thanks. (I've also pointed out that it's Sunday evening)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get him to try and log in now. I've pressed the 'Lift Ban' button.
Message passed. He went offline ½ hour ago. Probably middle of his night. I'll get back to you.

Thanks a bunch :D

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
FZC is usually very good at helping quickly identify the hundreds of spam / sleeper accounts that get made on a weekly basis on this forum.

His normal MO used to be (if it hasn't changed) to post something like '**** off cock gobbler' or something equally welcoming on their profile page.

This doesn't always work to our advantage, like the time a lovely young lady from, it may have been Haix, created an account and was immediately met with said greeting. That was fun resolving that one!

On the whole though, does a job that's needed.

I think I’m a bit of latecomer here. Did not know you existed until 30 months ago. Some users questioned if if I was retread, I am not.
I know the continuous digging of people that shouldn’t be here is a grind, and more power to the mods for dealing with this. I am a bit too naive to realise the difference (or, am I?)

Hopefully with more DIY misadventures waiting to be posted

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Pleased to report that @FromTheStar reports his account working again. Thanks.

Got any bags of spare clean hardcore available for pick up? It's just for a small garden project.......