"A Chindit's Chronicle" signed by author

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by lumpy2, Mar 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was recently fortunate to get a copy of this book signed by the author, Bill Towill, aged 92!

The book describes Mr Towill's experiences with 3rd Bn 9th Gurkha Rifles in WW2.

I would very much like to auction this for Hols for Heroes as I'm sure lots of you will be interested in this book. Not sure how to go about auctioning it, but have been in touch with Grownup_Rafbrat who suggested I start the ball rolling.

I have already had a bid for £20, so let's see how much more we can raise for this :)
  2. 100. Cheers.
  3. Many thanks for the magnificent bids so far, please keep them coming.

Not sure when the auction will close, I need to take advice from others on this but I'm pretty sure it will be the Easter weekend. Will update as soon as possible.

Thanks again.
  4. I feel I should explain, at this juncture, that the book on offer is not a rare book in itself It is a slim paperback, but I feel the fact the author so recently, and generously, signed it would "add value".

If anyone wants to withdraw their bids on that basis, that's fine, the last thing I want to do is mislead anyone about the "value" of the book (although it is a fascinating and worthwhile read).

I have taken advice from the ever helpful Grownup_Rafbrat and can now advise that the auction closes on 27 March at 1600 hrs (and I will cover postage costs and undertake to post it to the successful bidder).

Thanks all for your interest. :)
  5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Lumpy you're doing a great job here, and I thank you for your generosity in auctioning this book for us. Would-be bidders please note, that by bidding you're abiding by the auction rules which can be found here:

And so, the bidding is at £100 with pigdog. Which is a great bid - enough for a flight for someone who needs it! Thank you.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Any more bids for this rather wonderful item?
  7. £110.
  8. Thanks Bill.
  9. Thanks all.

Just so you can see what you're bidding for.

Attached Files:

10. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Thank you for this great item, Lumpy. :)

Here is a review I found on the internet to give bidders a clue about the book:

This is a remarkable true story of a very brave young soldier who was only 19 years old when he survived the hell on the beaches of Dunkirk during the evacuation of the BEF in 1940 and miraculously escaped on the last rescue boat. Because of the bravery that he showed then, his Medical Commanding officer recommended him for a Commission. He enlisted as an officer in the 3/9th Gurkha Rifles and finally found himself in the Burma Jungle in Wingate's Special Force as a Chindit, fighting a ruthless Japanese enemy, and then for a second time, suffered another hell there. This book tells the amazing story of some of those experiences and is well worth reading.

11. My offer of 120 still stands, but you have to take me of your ignore list to see it!
  12. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Thank you for your bid, Bokkatankie. So, we're at £120 now for this great book. :)