A chance meeting

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Little Jack H, May 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This evening I had the honour of a chance meeting. For the past 2 weeks I've been looking after 2 dogs belonging to a friend who had been in hospital. Took them back today and met her father, who has flown over from Spain to look after his daughter while she recuperates.

Her father is SSgt John Hayles of the Glider Pilots Regiment. We went to the pub for a pint and some food and he bought the first as thanks for my help with the dogs. When I offered the next, SSgt Hayles refused, and tried to insist on buying for me because I had looked after 2 dogs for 2 weeks.

This is an 84 year old man who flew a Horsa glider into occupied territory over 50 years ago, and has just flown from Spain to support his daughter. Yet he considered me feeding and walking 2 dogs to be more worthy of a pint. Needless to say, as an ex Cpl, this was one time I disobeyed a SSgt's orders with impunity.

There are enough hints littered around this site, please find one or contact MDN for ways to support the GPRA. Good men to the last.

2. Fcuking hell Jack, that's one hell of a glide. No wonder we won the war. :D

3. Little Jack H

I have the honour of being a member of the Glider Pilot Regimental Association and let me tell you these guys make us modern Soldiers humble. They all have some tales to tell and none of them are walts or bar commandos!

I also urge anyone who wants to support them to do so.

4. Talking to this man last night, got the feeling that if that's what it took to do what he believed in, then he would have found a way - with or without a glider. And yes, thanks to men like that it IS no wonder we won the war

5. have the utmost respect for the forefathers of the Corps. Having read the books and worked in the past at the museum, it is humbling to realise what a difference there was/is between ourselves and the GPR.
    To see the photographs of all stages of the Ops and the resultant landing sites, makes the modern mind ponder the fine line between bravery and stupidity.
    How thankful we should be that they didn't question the mission.

GingeG wrote:
    Little Jack H

And there's me thinking that you had to have been a member of a particular Regiment, or at least to have served with it at some stage during your career, to be a member of its Association.

From the GPRA website, "Official Association of all those who served in the Glider Pilot Regiment 1941-1957."

I don't know how old Ginge is, but....What was that about walts?

6. Sid

I should have qualified that.

I along with many serving members of the Corps are Honorary members invited to join by GPR Veterans. We pay subs and receive the Eagle etc but have no voting rights.

I guess you may know who I am so you will know that I fly a Landrover so to vlaim to be in the GPR would be Folly and as you correctly alluded very Walter Mitty. :lol:

7. SS..a small point of historical correctness, without diluting in any way the highly regarded reputation of the said Regiment or those that gave stirling service. We are indebted as a generation.

You are technically correct to say that there is a distinct "difference beween the GPR and the current AAC". Careful study of the AAC history will (contrary to popular belief and what is taught at a certain ground training squadron) snow that the only connection with the pre-57 AAC and GPR is that the OLD (second itteration see below) of the AAC was the administrative head of the GPR, Parachute Regt and LRDPG (later the SAS). The Command of the Parachute Regt seperated in 42 when 6 Airborne was forming up and the SAS ditto, when formal stucture was given to the LRDPG and SAS units were established. That AAC was removed from the OOB by command of the War Office in 1950 and full control of the GPR and Parachute Regt went to D Inf.

The AAC (the current one) was affirmed by Order of the then Secretary of State for Defence Duncan Sandy's (et al the Army Council( in Jan 1957, to be formed by 01 Sept of that year. After much analysis by the then DLAW, it (the current AAC) was to be "organised, modelled and titled as the UK equivalent of the US Army Air Corps"...shock, horror!! This was either brushed aside or misunderstood by someone..and the AAC took then image and modified cap badge of the old AAC.

The first itteration of the title AAC was proposed by the then (young) Minister for War Winston Churchill in 1910!! It was overuled in favour of the RFC. It was also he some 30 years later who directed the second itteration.

I completed the APC induction course a while ago and the best presentation on the history of the AAC I have been given was presented by the (if my memory is correct and he is still there) SEWO at CGTW.

8. One thing you have to remember is quite a salient point. Silsoe sid will attempt to argue with fog in a petty attempt to attract attention away from the common or garden cloud just for effect. Basically he's a cock and should not be relied on for the time of day.

Let us not forget the sacrifice that every member of the GPR gave us and the timely reminder that every generation has a duty to remember them. Gods amongst men. Were it not for the likes of the GPR, we could not have the equipment to discuss this subject. End of story.

For that alone, GPR, I thank you and am ever in debt to your contribution.

You are all humble to a man but you will forever be celebrated in every AAC Mess 'til the end of time.

9. Here we go again,

Firstly, IGLA, you have quoted me incorrectly. My sentence, the one you incorrectly quote, highlights the differences in the youth of today and the youth back then who had the saviour of our country and future way of life on their shoulders.

D-Fens, what on earth are you on about this time? Once again, but under a different name, you seem to have hijacked a thread and started the old SS bash. Do you actually read what I post or do you just see the name, join under yet a different username and have a go? Your motives are highly suspicious, especially as on the other hand you ask me for advice on life outside. (And don't try and claim I am confusing you with someone else!)

If you cared to read my post, you would have noticed in my last sentence in relation to the GPR I was saying virtually the same as your last sentence.

Fen boy, "For that alone, GRP, I thank you and am ever in debt to your contribution."
    SS, "How thankful we should be that they didn't question the mission."

It's the weekend, now go out and enjoy the freedom you have because of the sacrifices the GPR gave,

Regards to All,

SS

10. Editted by PG

Silsoe this thread is about the GPR.... got a beef with someones signature PM him or please take it to the NAAFI.

We are sat here laying tribute and saluting far braver men than us and you go off on a self righteous crusade...... take it back to Pprune

11. Fair enough PG, however;

Starting whilst on holding in 81, I have given my own time to help at the museum (when it was next to the NAAFI shop). I helped with the move to the present site and have in the past given up free weekends whilst being at Wallop on various courses, the last being during my EWI cse in '02.

When a crewman at NV (658), 86/87, I went on various trips with my then Flt Comd, (now DAAVn?) to investigate reports of damaged parts of gliders which may be suitable for restoration, found in farmers barns.

As I said previously, "I have the utmost respect for the forefathers of the Corps. Having read the books and worked in the past at the museum, it is humbling to realise what a difference there was/is between ourselves and the GPR."

I think it only fair that those who feel they can critisise me understand that through my small role, I have actually spent a lot of my spare time keeping and maintaining the memories of these brave men alive and find it quite disheartening that this has turned into an anti SS thread.

I dont remember many others with a paint brush, broom or mop being there at the weekends. Mind you, I was never one for Chaplins/Flicks!

Regards to All,
    SS

Winston Churchill.

12. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

It hasn't turned into an anti SS thread, and if it did you only have yourself to blame. You could start a punch up in a monastary.

Noone is doubting your contribution to the GPR and the GPRA........ I think there are a great many that do 'thier bit' and more........ Its a very worthy and deserving cause and one thats close to a great numbers hearts .

If its not about the GPR then please just start another thread, preferably in the NAAFI

13. SS - if you meant "youth of 1941 as opposed to the youth of to-day" then that is what you should have made clear. Your sentence actually say's "...ourselves - (et al the AAC) and the GPR". Hardly misquoted at all.

Comparisons between generations of youth...open to debate..latest recipients of the VC and GC are both "youthful" I would suggest!

You will of course have conceded the historical difference..which my post made clear!

14. As is blatantly obvious, any reply directly to the last post by me would be futile.

But here goes.

When I said, " My sentence, the one you incorrectly quote, highlights the differences in the youth of today and the youth back then who had the saviour of our country and future way of life on their shoulders."

IG replied with, "SS - if you meant "youth of 1941 as opposed to the youth of to-day" then that is what you should have made clear. "

How could I make it clearer?
    Yes that is obviously open to a different debate, but bear in mind the latest recipients of the VC and GC when you are confronted with the youthful chavs on a dark evening! They will be from the same generation of 'youths of today'.

PG, it would appear that IGLA needs to go to the NAAFI! :wink:

Hopefully my last on this subject.

SS

15. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Or maybe just leave it alone and stop trashing a thread?

I just don't understand SS... You have a wealth of experience and could offer so much, instead you just infuriate and inflame people and make them want to direct abuse at you.... Not just here but on Pprune too.

Maybe thats what your after...... I give in