A case for the return of the US draft?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by yanky_loggie, Apr 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spotted this in the Miami Herald and although clearly written by a US left wing type, he raises an interesting question. Would a return of the US draft cause the US to pull out of Iraq, AFG etc quicker? His premise being that the draft doesn't distinguish between rch and poor and so it will be the sons (and unlike Vietnam) daughters of politicians who will have to join up alongside small-town Americans. Comments heard where I work regarding Harry (Mods - point noted about appropriate comment here) are of surprise that he would go to Iraq when "he has all that money" ie no understanding of duty etc amongst the rich and powerful.
    e bird

If we were to reintroduce conscription and Tony's kids were eligible, would we also see a reduction in political willingness to deploy troops so willingly? or perhaps if the war was "just" would we see better and more equipment?

Not that I wish to see the ranks filled with burberry dpm, but the occaisional politicos offspring would be welcomed with open arms.
  2. Personally I think the draft with no method of deferment other than medical is a good thing... provides a commen experience to all members of society regardless of social/economic status.

Anyway... the antiwar movement here is driven mainly by leftover hippies who are upset they haven't been able to come close to the numbers they remember from those grand rallies of the 60's... of course, those rallies piddled off in head count as well when the draft was ended back then. Hmm...
  3. Khyros - I agree with the catch-all status for a draft and the US experience is very different from UK but how many GOP's sons and daughters are currently serving? I reckon they are all as guilty as the antiwar movement when it comes to volunteering
  4. There are a number of kids from civil servants in both parties in uniform... most of them have the decency not to make an issue of it.
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I agree with your basic statement, however, I'd rather see such military service not in the form of the old draft system. I'd rather see, compulsory universal military or alternative service. This would be required for both men and women, with alternative public service for those COs and others, that have some exception to serving in the uniformed military.

I think that two years on active duty. (4) years Active Reserve/NG and two years in the Inactive reserve. A total of (8) Years for all Americans. :wink:
  6. If it's the chap I think it is, he proposes it to Congress every year. Very little support from it from any side.

7. The argument is non-sense that some how only the poor and down trodden are what make up the volunteers of the armed forces.

Is typical leftie class envy/warfare.
  8. Charles Rangel?
  9. And yet I can't help remembering how very many sons of wealthy US politicians, professionals, academics, bankers etc. were in the UK )and Ireland) during the '60s-early '70s.

Is there any reason to suppose it wouldn't happen again, if anything like the old draft were reintroduced?
  10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Yes! I think it would happen again without many revisions and changes to the selective service act, etc.