A Camp Divided (Iraq)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Good post T-W.

I've just finished reading Robert Kaplan's << Imperial Grunts>>
    [ ISBN : 1-4000-6132-6, Random House , 2005 ]
    which I can thoroughly recommend to anyone who has served in Iraq or Afghanistan....and any Brit who despairs of USFOR approach. The last because it will be reassuring to know that on an intellectual level, plenty of USFOR understand the problems.

He happened to have been attached to 1/5 US Marines on the outskirts of Fallujah in April 2004 when the order was given to swap from softly-softly to fixed bayonets. His account of the action there is worth a read alone. Not least, because of his conclusion that

Some reviewer's have said he is too close to the military, others that he has a Neocon imperialist agenda ( despite the quote re Bush and co above ) but from my pov, he reveals some of the same frustrations within the USFOR as this article reveals: the constant see-sawing between the slow, painful Hearts and Minds (SASO) stuff which takes decades and what Kaplan calls the ' Big Army' approach - in, out, home in time for tea and medals all round.

Well worth a read.

Le Chevre

3. Good article Trip.