A Bum Burning Burns Night Supper

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SONAR-BENDER, Jan 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have the dubious honour of organising, running, and cooking for our annual Burns Night Supper for up to 30 people. At least I have the fun bits of deciding what we eat and stabbing the haggis and we all have a good night. Some drink is taken.

But.........

Yesterday, SWMBO found a recipe for a Haggis Bajia, with an Orange and Whisky sauce, which got me thinking (not always a good thing) about next year's do.......

I'm now thinking very seriously about having a Burns Night Curry Supper - hence the thread title. So, Haggis Bajias as a starter, what would you lot recommend for a Main and Pudding - bearing in mind the constraints imposed by it being predominately a Burns Night? Also that I have to prepare and cook it all in a normal domestic kitchen.

Any way of introducing lamb and turnip/swede in a spicy/curried manner?

Please hurry up, as I only have 51 weeks to sort it out! ^^;

PS - as an aside, for my last wedding we were a gnat's knacker away from having an Indian feast!

2. Earth.... how are you doing these days?

3. Pudding = Raspberry Cranachan Kulfi

4. No. ******* no. OK?

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Send him out for chips.

Then we will do the ***** like we did at Culloden.

Report back.

6. Dont bother calling it a Burns night if you curry it.

7. ...though, to be fair, your eating habits haven't exactly enhanced Sottish longevity either, have they? ;-)

8. What - let the lowland Jocks do them? Their chips are shite as well mind, made by Italians or Asians who have no love of the chip. We wouldn't sell jock chips as scraps.

9. Oh FFS, just puke into a bucket and serve it with salad for starters, hot for mains and cold for pudding. No one will notice any difference anyway

10. A curried Burn's night? What? No, its wrong, just don't go there! Same goes for the chips fer fecks sake. Now't wrong wi' the humble tattie, simply boiled and seasoned without having to chuck it through the chip pan every time. On the other hand haggis pakora as served up by the Arrsechoker in Glasgow is well worth the trip. Just don't serve them up at a Burn's supper.

11. If you shit in the bucket too you'll have authentic haggis.