A Broken Soldier

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mintymcginty, Apr 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Guardian marks the withdrawal of British troops from Iraq all this week. The series begin with the story of Major David Bradley, of B Company, the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment.

Here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/14/iraq-war-troops-withdraw-injury-officer

The story continues with my visit to some of B Company currently in Iraq tomorrow when there will also be a video.

Today, there is an interactive archive with many of the stories from across the previous six years here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2009/apr/14/iraq-war-stories

There is also the opportunity for you to have your say as the comments have begun already

Here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/apr/14/iraq-war-army-basra-counter-insurgency

Minty

2. TIdworth has moved to Devon then?

3. I was puzzled at that

4. Ouch, what an arse! My mistake. Will get that changed when the changey person gets in to work. Nit pickers...

5. The best bit to come from my reading of what has been published so far actually comes from a comment by Martin Smith who says "The Guardian may delight in pointing out some of the long known about mistakes in the beginning that we all know we don't need an inquiry to work out, but we've seen next to nothing about the catastrophic mistake it would have been to abandon that country to a Somalia type fate which you and so many others were urging. It turns out staying the course was the right thing to do - it's time to put your hands up and admit you were wrong.
    Minty's writing off fundamental errors as 'nit picking' is just another demonstration of sloppy writing and poor checking that leads to the paper being better known as Grauniad.

6. Oldredcap

I have just spoken to David Bradley, who admits that whilst he lived in Tidworth he often said it was in Devon because he says it is on the Devon/Wiltshire border and that he told me it was Devon. No, I didn't check.
    I spent months on this article and the other one to follow tomorrow, including spending this weekend in Basra and I am proud of it.
    Feel free to keep having a go, but it was a mistake and it will be rectified.
    I posted it here because his is such a remarkable story and I thought you might like to read it. I will refrain from doing so again.

Audrey Gillan

7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Please don't let ORC's comments put you off posting your articles on here, Minty. Can't think of anything that would have more relevance on a British Army website than a story about a severely wounded British soldier.

The article was not sloppily written at all, it was very interesting indeed and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's.

Gah. Edit to correct awful spelling on my part.

8. I have just read this and was very impressed.

9. I now read the Guardian out of choice as the quality of journalism is higher than most others - as proven by this excellent article.

10. The nit picking bit was a minor part of my post. Yes the article is a fine piece of work but it was the comment by Smith I had hoped would attract some response. Viz -"The Guardian may delight in pointing out some of the long known about mistakes in the beginning that we all know we don't need an inquiry to work out, but we've seen next to nothing about the catastrophic mistake it would have been to abandon that country to a Somalia type fate which you and so many others were urging. It turns out staying the course was the right thing to do - it's time to put your hands up and admit you were wrong.

Edited to correct speelung errors

11. Iraq was in no danger of becoming a new Somalia - Saddam Hussein was pretty well on top of things until we turned up!

12. Minty,

Thank you for an excellent article
    I knew David when he was not 'broken' - he is a very good man

He did exceptionaly well on 09 Aug 04 - something which has not been recognised for him and so many others

Far too many broken soldiers have been left to get on with it.

When the black dog comes visiting they need to remember that their friends think of them and wish them every success

I look forwards to the next article - anything which constructively draws attention to the needs of injured soldiers on their return from operations and their integration back into the system and life they helped to defend should be encouraged

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for the links and article Minty. The Graun . . . . Guardian (and you) are doing a fine job by publishing in-depth stories like these. It needs to be done, and the mistakes made by the MOD and this government need highlighting, repeatedly for the people at home.

As for you journo types posting links and stories here for 'review' or feedback from chaps and ladies with experience of the matters you write about - good job, keep it up. You know you're going to get an honest (and often blunt) appraisal.

14. Thank you, I appreciate any feedback but not jibes.
    The "nit pickers" comment was meant to be light hearted but I guess it wasn't taken as such.
    Tomorrow's piece is with two of the soldiers who rescued the RHA going back to the scene. It was very cathartic for them. We made a video too but since we are only just back from Basra, there wasn't the time to get it edited for today.

David Bradley may be on the Jeremy Vine show today at about 1.30pm, if he is not too busy on the farm.

15. Get over it, and yourself.