• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

A British Grenadier

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
A mate who lives locally pinged me this.

I thought it was worth putting on here, hope he doesn't mind. Good luck Scott.

[ DETAIL.....off....CAPS....stand still there...]

Brave Scott fights back
by MORT BIRCH
A NUNEATON soldier, who lost a leg when he was blown up in Afghanistan, has spoken for the first time about his ordeal.

Grenadier Guardsman Scott Blaney suffered terrible injuries fighting the Taliban in the notorious Helmand Province.

The 20-year-old lost his right leg, one of his arms was shattered and he had shrapnel damage to an eye in the explosion.

"I was in a six-man fighting patrol which was split into sections and we were clearing buildings when we came under fire," he said " I was in section two and we were lying on a mound of earth when the explosion happened.

"I don't know whether it was an IED (improvised explosive device) or a mine strike, but I was lying on top of it and I remember everything that happened.

" I was thrown on to my back and saw my right leg twisted up near my head and I knew it had been blown off. My elbow had been nearly split in two, I had shrapnel in my eye and I saw my mate dead."

Another guardsman in the section also lost a leg, one had shrapnel wounds and there was another who escaped virtually unhurt because he was shielded from the blast.

After being treated at a field hospital at Camp Bastion, Scott was flown to Brize Norton and then taken to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham, where he expects to stay for another two or three weeks.

"The nurses and doctors are brilliant. They could not have done any more for me," said Scott, who was brought up in Heath End Road, Nuneaton, and went to Etone School.

Despite his injuries, he has been such an inspiration that he is to continue with the elite regiment after a spell at Hedley Court Rehabilitation Centre in Surrey.

When he returns to his duties he will make history: "Me and a mate Nick Davis will be the first amputees in the Grenadier Guards since the Second World War," said Scott, who became a builder's mate after he left school and then joined the Grenadier Guards at the age of 18.

His proud father Pete Blaney, who now lives at Walsgrave in Coventry said: "Scott has worked hard and done what he wanted to do.

"He took part in the Trooping of the Colour for the Queen's Birthday last year and we all had dinner at Buckingham Palace.

"He is such an inspiration and is so well adjusted to what has happened to him that I think the Army will use him as an example to other wounded soldiers.

"What he has done is remarkable and it has amazed me. He just gets on with life and is very positive - he has already said that he wants to compete in the Paraplegic Olympics and has sent off for the forms.

"The Army have stood by him and the help he has got has been tremendous, right from Camp Bastion through to Selly Oak."

Scott has no hesitation in recommending a life in uniform: "I love the Army and the lads," he said. "It is a brilliant life."

Best of luck to him in his recovery - and all those still in theatre.

Le Chevre

What a smashing brave lad,I wish him well and he is an inspiration,well done Guardsman!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Humbling. I hope i would show the same courage and mental attitude in those circumstances.

Mister_Angry said:
Brave lad and a credit to the First of Foot. Good luck to you, mate.
What, the Royal Scots? :) Stand still, the Guards! (While I get me coat...)

Well done, Guardsman. Good luck in your future.

Well done fella, an example to us all.

I'll raise a glass of cider to him at Grenadier Day on Sunday. May raise a glass or three to him this afternoon too, and a couple to Pun VC.

Nice to hear a posetive story for a change. Keep fighting the good fight big fella.

Well done that man, hope you make a speedy recovery. Raising a glass.

B_T

Mister_Angry said:
Brave lad and a credit to the First of Foot. Good luck to you, mate.
Oops Angry. First Regiment of Foot Guards

Still never mind! ... Best of luck from one of the Fourth Regiment of Foot Guards. Get well soon mate ... Nil Illegitimi Carborundum!!!

Goatman said:
A mate who lives locally pinged me this.

I thought it was worth putting on here, hope he doesn't mind. Good luck Scott.

[ DETAIL.....off....CAPS....stand still there...]

Brave Scott fights back
by MORT BIRCH
A NUNEATON soldier, who lost a leg when he was blown up in Afghanistan, has spoken for the first time about his ordeal.

Grenadier Guardsman Scott Blaney suffered terrible injuries fighting the Taliban in the notorious Helmand Province.

The 20-year-old lost his right leg, one of his arms was shattered and he had shrapnel damage to an eye in the explosion.

"I was in a six-man fighting patrol which was split into sections and we were clearing buildings when we came under fire," he said " I was in section two and we were lying on a mound of earth when the explosion happened.

"I don't know whether it was an IED (improvised explosive device) or a mine strike, but I was lying on top of it and I remember everything that happened.

" I was thrown on to my back and saw my right leg twisted up near my head and I knew it had been blown off. My elbow had been nearly split in two, I had shrapnel in my eye and I saw my mate dead."

Another guardsman in the section also lost a leg, one had shrapnel wounds and there was another who escaped virtually unhurt because he was shielded from the blast.

After being treated at a field hospital at Camp Bastion, Scott was flown to Brize Norton and then taken to Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham, where he expects to stay for another two or three weeks.

"The nurses and doctors are brilliant. They could not have done any more for me," said Scott, who was brought up in Heath End Road, Nuneaton, and went to Etone School.

Despite his injuries, he has been such an inspiration that he is to continue with the elite regiment after a spell at Hedley Court Rehabilitation Centre in Surrey.

When he returns to his duties he will make history: "Me and a mate Nick Davis will be the first amputees in the Grenadier Guards since the Second World War," said Scott, who became a builder's mate after he left school and then joined the Grenadier Guards at the age of 18.

His proud father Pete Blaney, who now lives at Walsgrave in Coventry said: "Scott has worked hard and done what he wanted to do.

"He took part in the Trooping of the Colour for the Queen's Birthday last year and we all had dinner at Buckingham Palace.

"He is such an inspiration and is so well adjusted to what has happened to him that I think the Army will use him as an example to other wounded soldiers.

"What he has done is remarkable and it has amazed me. He just gets on with life and is very positive - he has already said that he wants to compete in the Paraplegic Olympics and has sent off for the forms.

"The Army have stood by him and the help he has got has been tremendous, right from Camp Bastion through to Selly Oak."

Scott has no hesitation in recommending a life in uniform: "I love the Army and the lads," he said. "It is a brilliant life."

Best of luck to him in his recovery - and all those still in theatre.

Le Chevre

Come On ... He's a Guardsman ... it's Remove ... Headress!! lol :clap:

I know the other bloke in the news article, good mate of mine. Me and Captain Fab went up and saw him in Selly Oak. We took him up some bits & bobs like sweets and a gay mag (Which we left open and just out of reach)
I still can't belive that after all hes been through, it appaers not to have affected him. The bloke was more than happy to talk about it.
A man of strong character.
Good luck to them both and to other Squaddies that have come back early from Tour.

Amazing story and, from my geographic POV, a local lad done good.

Headress fully and deservedly removed.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
FrankIG said:
Come On ... He's a Guardsman ... it's Remove ... Headress!! lol :clap:
:D RSM, given that I learned what tiny remnants of drill remain in my head from a Naval GI on a rain soaked car park in HMS Drake in 1983.......the caps in question were white...the arm comes ACROSS the body on the command OFF, hatband is gripped firmly on the LEFT hand side and on the command - CAPS - returns smartly to the RIGHT side of the body with the ship's tally plainly visible to the fore......you will NOT drop your handbag or sock the person next to you round the ear'ole whilst executing this command ....IS THAT CLEAR ?

<< CHIEF?.....some pongo wooden-top 'ere.... says 'e wants a word....>>

....you are right I am wrong....well said and all credit to those who remove head-dress in the direction of this gallant young man.

Slainte mhath !

Le Chevre

Latest Threads