• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

A British diplomat in Moscow knocked over a FSB colonel

#1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Russian-spy-bizarre-Moscow-car-accident.html

A British diplomat in Moscow knocked over a pedestrian who turned out to be a senior Russian spy.

The accident threatens to reopen a simmering diplomatic row between London and Moscow which has seen British officials intimidated and institutions closed.

Andrew Sheridan, 35, told police he was driving his official Ford Mondeo on General Dorokhov Street in western Moscow when the pedestrian walked out from behind a parked car, giving him no time to stop.
It happened on a pedestrian crossing clearly marked. So the diplomat had to slow his car anyway. Btw, the article doesn't mention this important detail.

The Russians later revealed that the man he hit, causing head injuries and a broken leg, was a colonel in the FSB, the successor to the KGB.
...
Mr Sheridan is deputy director of the British Council in Moscow, which Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has called a front for ‘a nest of spies’
So it was a collision of two spies? Funny.

In January, Lord Kinnock’s son Stephen, then director of the council in St Petersburg, was accused of ignoring a ‘no entry’ sign by the armed traffic police. He refused to be breathalysed, citing diplomatic immunity, and was given a ticket for a motoring offence.

Mr Sheridan also has diplomatic immunity and cannot be prosecuted. His wife Ekaterina, 31, also works for the British Council in Moscow. She went to a Red Army military school in Cuba and Manchester University.
So there are really rather 3 spies in this story. Funny.
 
#2
Oops wonder if the unfortunate colonel was sober at the time .Awful lot of pedestrians who get hit by cars aren't .Hope he makes a swift recovery
and it was a simple accident.
 
#4
woody said:
Oops wonder if the unfortunate colonel was sober at the time .Awful lot of pedestrians who get hit by cars aren't .Hope he makes a swift recovery
and it was a simple accident.
Of course it was no more than unfortunate accident. However...

suppose that the colonel would be killed. Would the UK void the Briton diplomatic immunity?
 
#6
smithie said:
No. Why should we? You won't extradite Luguvoi, who allegedly murdered a British citizen and had no diplomatic immunity.
You are absolutely right Smithie. Diplomats enjoy the immunity according to Vienna convention.

...and any Russian citizen enjoys immunity not to be extradited according to Russian constitution. Why should we change it?

The diplomat is guilty because it happened on pedestrian crossing (in this case a driver is guilty anyway). As for mr.Lugovoi then he only 'allegedly' murdered the victim. The evidences (if they ever exist) are being kept secret.
 
#7
KGB_resident said:
Mr Sheridan also has diplomatic immunity and cannot be prosecuted. His wife Ekaterina, 31, also works for the British Council in Moscow. She went to a Red Army military school in Cuba and Manchester University.
Something I had long suspected, along with the LSE!
 
#8
No matter how hard I try, whenever I read KGB's posts, I cant help putting on a Valentin Zukovsky aka Robbie Coltrane in James Bond style accent, too much spare time on my hands? Too much spunk more like!
 
#9
KGB_resident said:
smithie said:
No. Why should we? You won't extradite Luguvoi, who allegedly murdered a British citizen and had no diplomatic immunity.
You are absolutely right Smithie. Diplomats enjoy the immunity according to Vienna convention.

...and any Russian citizen enjoy immunity not to be extradited according to Russian constitution. Why should we change it.

The diplomat is guilty because it happened on pedestrian crossing (in this case a driver is guilty anyway). As for mr.Lugovoi then he only 'allegedly' murdered the victim. The evidences (if they ever exist) are being kept secret.
KGB, does this element of the Russian constitution mean that effectively a Russian citizen has a get out of jail free card? For example a Russian commits a major robbery in say Germany - if he makes it back to Russia without being arrested would the Russians arrest and instigate a trial in Russia instead or would the authorities ignore the crime?
 
#10
FARMBOY said:
KGB_resident said:
smithie said:
No. Why should we? You won't extradite Luguvoi, who allegedly murdered a British citizen and had no diplomatic immunity.
You are absolutely right Smithie. Diplomats enjoy the immunity according to Vienna convention.

...and any Russian citizen enjoy immunity not to be extradited according to Russian constitution. Why should we change it.

The diplomat is guilty because it happened on pedestrian crossing (in this case a driver is guilty anyway). As for mr.Lugovoi then he only 'allegedly' murdered the victim. The evidences (if they ever exist) are being kept secret.
KGB, does this element of the Russian constitution mean that effectively a Russian citizen has a get out of jail free card? For example a Russian commits a major robbery in say Germany - if he makes it back to Russia without being arrested would the Russians arrest and instigate a trial in Russia instead or would the authorities ignore the crime?
Surely that depends on how he shared the proceeds?
 
#11
FARMBOY said:
KGB_resident said:
smithie said:
No. Why should we? You won't extradite Luguvoi, who allegedly murdered a British citizen and had no diplomatic immunity.
You are absolutely right Smithie. Diplomats enjoy the immunity according to Vienna convention.

...and any Russian citizen enjoy immunity not to be extradited according to Russian constitution. Why should we change it.

The diplomat is guilty because it happened on pedestrian crossing (in this case a driver is guilty anyway). As for mr.Lugovoi then he only 'allegedly' murdered the victim. The evidences (if they ever exist) are being kept secret.
KGB, does this element of the Russian constitution mean that effectively a Russian citizen has a get out of jail free card? For example a Russian commits a major robbery in say Germany - if he makes it back to Russia without being arrested would the Russians arrest and instigate a trial in Russia instead or would the authorities ignore the crime?
With sufficient evidences such a criminal would be jailed of course. And be sure German prison would look as a resort in comparison with Russian one.

If British police would be so kine to presend sufficient evidences then mr.Lugovoy would be jailed as well. Now he is an MP. So according to the procedure first of all special parliamentary commission would look into evidences and after it the Duma (the Parliament) would vote to void mr.Lugovoy his immunity (as an MP).
 
#12
smithie said:
No. Why should we? You won't extradite Luguvoi, who allegedly murdered a British citizen and had no diplomatic immunity.
well to be fair Britain wouldn't extradite various Russians back to Russia .........
 

Latest Threads