• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

A Bridge too Far

Never mind surfing Arrse its on Channel Five now.

"We can't accept your surrender, we don't have the facilities, Sorry"
Brilliant

"Sorry old boy, we haven't got the facilities to take you all prisoner...was there anything else?" i think you'll find...Awesome film by the way, my favourite.

Glider Pilot boys, we love you. GPR had the highest casualty rate in Arnhem at 90% in battles after landing the Aircraft. The regiment lasted only 15 years, but in that time they received 190 Honours/decorations and 9 battle honours. fair play lads.

Scene where the Dutch kid on the bike is peddling towards the camera when the Spitfire flies over his head and dips its wings brings a lump to my throat. So does the music. An outstanding film.

Found a better one Theirs is the glory made in 1946 and starred survivors of Arnhem. When they went back, their trenches were still there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_kLauYq58

You can see the Hartenstein museum in the background.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Lt. Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur: "When you refer to Bailey crap I take it you mean that glorious, precision-made, British-built bridge which is the envy of the civilized world?"

and

SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Would you look at him please, sir.
[draws his .45]
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Right now. Or I'll blow your fcukin' head off.
[cocks the .45]
SSgt. Eddie Dohun: Right now.
U.S. medical colonel: I can give him a quick examination if you like.

Just like to mention that a lot of the Sherman crews in this film were actually supplied by 3RTR including my ex SSM RIP. No wonder the film was class quite apart from the actual storyline..........brave lads indeed!!!

blobmeister said:
Yes but their was only a couple of real tanks, the rest were VW mock up fibre glass.
Correct...and Michael Cane wore yellow wellies... :D

Arthur3bums said:
Just like to mention that a lot of the Sherman crews in this film were actually supplied by 3RTR including my ex SSM RIP. No wonder the film was class quite apart from the actual storyline..........brave lads indeed!!!
I believe they used serving guys to jump in the DZ Scenes too. My Ex SSM was in 10 Para and professes to have jumped in the movie.

Arthur3bums said:
ZB298 was also there ISTR! :D

forniup said:
Arthur3bums said:
I believe they used serving guys to jump in the DZ Scenes too. My Ex SSM was in 10 Para and professes to have jumped in the movie.
My old PSAO was in the film, he did a jump out of a Dakota. Think he was 9 Sqn

VMechA said:
..and the Cent drivers A3B, moi included
Only the best mate, only the best!! Where've you been anyway?

We have a chap in our PRA branch called Ralph Sunley, (Sgt 10 Para) who was the last bloke to see Queripel alive before his action, sadly Ralph is now in a care home but when we went to Arnhem for the 60th anniversary his eyes were alight, a telling comment from him as the usual drunkeness ensued was 'JD, I don't owe anyone fcuk all I did my bit'. I then found out that Ralph was at Alamein before he went Para Regt! One tough little bugger.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
forniup said:
Arthur3bums said:
I used to know an old chap named Roy who had been Reguler and TA Para (10 Para I think)

As he told it
10 or so Dakotas the rest were Hercs (the Dakotas did the drop and flew round and round after the Hercs to create a larger Airforce)
The 'top boys' and the old and bold jumped out of the Dakotas (I think you can see a 1 PTS badge on the dispatcher of one of the Dakotas)
Aperently if you look past the lead Dakotas you can see lads exiting from both sides of the aircraft

As they landed they had been matched to certain actors (He said him and James Cann were matched)
They were filmed coming down and then those who had been matched had to get the actor into their parachute harness so the actor could roll round and be seen getting out off the parachute harness

One of the other things he said that there was actors dressed as genuine WW2 British Airborne who were filmed inside the aircraft etc
He stated you can spot the bit were they flick in between them and the Paras jumping by the fact the Paras jumping carry a reserve 'chute something British Airborne didn't do until the late 40's early '50s'