A bridge too far gunnery stuff

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by warrydave, Aug 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was watching the aforementioned flick on DVD the other day and was impressed with the 25 pounder sequence ( xxx corps advancing on the hun ), being ex JLRRA it was belt and braces stuff!

However my investigations on the tinternet have left me none the wiser as to who the guns belonged to or who was firing 'em (in period costume)

Ideas anyone?
  2. There were a lot of serving soldiers in the film as I remember 2 Para, Dutch leopards ect but can't remember the gunner mob
    There were a lot of T shirts " I jumped at a Bridge to far" We had one "I sat on my arrse and got bored at a bridge to far "
  3. HAC and some OTCs still had 25 pdr gun troops when Bridge Too Far was filmed. I think RSA Larkhill was also still using 25 pdr (and 5.5") for training in 1977.

Quite a few 7 RHA in the jump as well.
  4. Ive got a bokk called gunners at Arnhem it lists all the gun batteries involved in market Garden, and has orbats in the back. Ill have a look and see what batteries where there
  5. msr

msr LE

I think the original poster is after the actors rather than the original participants.

6. The film does mention grateful thanks to 1 Para. As for the gooners did they not belong to Lord Dicky's Private Army.

Waits for 5Alpha to pop along with the answer :roll:
  7. Serving Dutch Gunners served the guns in the movie. My evidence is anecdotal from a Dutch Adjutant? (he was a very old bloke) that I met in Bosnia in the mid 90s. He was with a unit called the Yellow Riders who he explained were a branch of the Dutch Military similar to our Royal Horse Artillery.