A brace of China stories

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cold_Collation, Nov 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

2. Obviously not,but what can you do?

• Like Like x 2

3. Have the Telegraph started using a different language (chinese) and then using google translate..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cold_Collation

I think it needs to be part of a wider debate, though I'm not sure in which form. It comes up more and more as a conversation piece maongst industry leaders; I can think of a few people that I've spoken to who are really very concerned and think that concerted action is needed - then they get very scared when it comes to going public.

At least Dyson's had the nuts to do that. But then it is his whole livelihood that's at stake, potentially.

5. Curious double standard when people happily download pirated music and movies.

6. I disagree, no country gets rich off pirated movies, no industry gains competitive advantage by skipping the research and development with pirate music.

I only buy Dyson because I dont want to replace it every 3 years but movies, film companies mis-sell their films through trailers which show them to be exciting but in reality they are crap and albums released with one no.1 hit and 14 dreadfull songs. Those breed piracy, give the option to refund your money if you though the movie/album was shit.

7. Cold_Collation

That might be where you're going wrong... :-D

8. Why do the chinese have a cheaper alternative?

9. Cold_Collation

No, it's just that I've never found Dysons to be especially robust. I see lots of them in the 'Old Electricals' skip at the local recycling centre.

Brings to mind:

"My wife's developed Dyson Syndrome. Apparently, it only affects women who've been married a while. Symptoms are a constant whining noise and refusal to suck."

10. ................................Dysons are shite anyway.

Get a Henry, they last forever!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Dysons are bloody heavy !! unless your Schwartzenegger or want to develop forearms like popeye I dont rate them at all.Also very noisy and quite high pitched..

as for the airblade... I used one and had to re wash my hand after putting my finger-end into a slimey deposit at the bottom of the machine (its a big U shape).

12. Another brace, just to put some perspective on the debate.

Intellectual property in China: Still murky | The Economist

Head of Patent Office Complains About China’s IP Reputation | China Hearsay

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next but the situation is much more prosaic - China has been building national institutions and laws only since the late 1970s. The business sphere is very much still the Wild West and far from every move being controlled from smoke-filled rooms in Beijing, the government has very limited powers of intervention because they can't be everywhere at once.

There's a profoundly different understanding as to what compromises intellectual property in China. Ideas placed in the public domain are assumed to be public property on the basis that if you want to keep it to yourself you'd have kept it in your head. That means that people assume a bright idea can be adapted for their own purposes without reference to the originator.

Physical items also have their own set of conventions: as an example, a few years back a pharmaceuticals firm got involved in a dispute with one of its manufacturers over the sale of unlicensed goods. The manufacturer had added 10% wastage onto the order and then sold the excess and those that had failed QC on the grounds that, since he'd made them and the customer hadn't paid for them, they were his to do with as he wished.

13. Despite the investment in engineers and scientists as described in Ambrose-Pritchards article, I wonder just what China would be producing if you deleted all of the technology and products pinched from non-chinese companies?

I live in a part of asia where practically no local manufacturing takes place because of chinese dumping of cheap goods. In addition, nearly every "brand" item you see in the shops here is back-door legitimate production, factory seconds that the brand owner probably thinks have been destroyed - or outright fakes.

The stuff that appears to be of purely chinese production (clothes, tools, foodstuffs) remains of shockingly bad quality, and is deeply maligned even by the locals. There appears little trace of native innovation, quality improvement or observance of international standards.

As China is swiftly destroying most of the original overseas innovators and manufacturers by pirating and dumping of products, one wonders what the "chinese century" will be like once there is no-one left to innovate?

14. Cold_Collation

An interesting point, 4(T). A friend of mine is in the fashion industry whilst my brother is in duty-free goods. Both she and he have been forced to follow manufacturing to the Far East and China in particular, and both make the same points about copying and dumping.

15. I doubt very much that will happen. For one thing, it'd require that the laws of supply and demand cease to operate, for another Chinese companies have become the largest filers of patent and trademark applications and it's in their interests to see their government develop an effective enforcement system.