A Book of Remembrance

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by abeaumont, Mar 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wandered round Canterbury Cathedral this morning, in time for the regular 11am ceremony of turning a page in one of the Books of Remembrance. There's four on a square stand in the cathedral, long lists of names. I've often seen them in different churches, a sea of names of those who gave their lives. Today for the first time I saw a name I recognised, right at the top of the page.

Has anyone elseseen a notable name, as in even more notable than the others?

Attached Files:

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

My widowed mum had friends in Brampton in Cumberland (as it was). Every holiday was spent in Brampton, much of it on the golf course. Auntie Laura was Ladies Captain and it was Ladies Captain's Day the day they landed on the Moon. But that has nothing to do with this story.

Every time we visited Brampton, we'd take a hike to Carlisle and browse the castle and more importantly the cathedral. She always left Carlisle shall we say in a mood.

Then one day I was dragged around the cathedral and she stopped and stared. At a book under glass. She broke down. It was The Border Regiment Book of Remembrance. Every day, somebody diligently turned the page. Today, listed was her big brother Jack, murdered, bayoneted by Japs whilst lying in a Field Hospital up the Irriwaddy on 17 March 1944 along with every other soul in the hospital during a counter attack to the big push that had seen him wounded whilst serving with 2 Borders.

I have at home "the" letter sent by his OC. I get dust in my eyes just thinking about it.

We never needed to visit Carlisle again.

3. It always gets me at Llandaff and Brecon cathedrals when you see the Book and the old Regimental Colours hanging there

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The RAMC turn their pages in Westminster Abbey on a weekend if the memory serves.