a bit of tech support, remote controling a pc

I Have a slight problem sorting out my mothers email account. She is in Hampshire I am in Lincolnshire so can’t drop by. She is 83 and hard of hearing and it is difficult to work over the phone. I have just spent 2 hours with the phone at my ear and trying very hard to be calm when thing are not going well and you can‘t see what she is doing.

I know you can remote control a pc form another but not how to do it.

Can I have an idiots guide please.

PsyWar.Org said:
Newer versions of Windows have a Remote Desktop feature but needs to be set up on both computers and you'd need to know the IP address of your mother's PC.

Details here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
That won't work if either machine is behind a router, NAT foox it up. Not only that you have to be using XP pro and be connected via a VPN.

Best bet is to get a third party VPN. Symantec do PC anyware (I have used this with work and it does) but thats paid for. There are plenty of free alternatives.

Or try

team viewer

no computer knowledge required

fire up the software. set password. its give you an ID.

send ID/pass to support person.

support person Enters ID/pass into teamviewer et voila. remote control.

It is free for personal use.

jinxy said:
PsyWar.Org said:
Newer versions of Windows have a Remote Desktop feature but needs to be set up on both computers and you'd need to know the IP address of your mother's PC.

Details here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx
That won't work if either machine is behind a router, NAT foox it up. Not only that you have to be using XP pro and be connected via a VPN.

Best bet is to get a third party VPN. Symantec do PC anyware (I have used this with work and it does) but thats paid for. There are plenty of free alternatives.
Yes and no, it is available in the Professional, Business, or Ultimate versions of Vista, doesn't need a VPN if using an IP address. The NAT problem can be got around using port forwarding.

But as you suggest there are easier solutions to be had.