A bit of a glut

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by re-stilly, Jan 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I seem to have a glut of parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes and am running out of ideas, so anybody got any ideas in how I can use them up?

2. I'm guessing you've already made plenty of soup. Have you tried making crisps with them?

(Disclaimer: I don't know much about jerusalem artichokes but I know you can do it with parsnips)

3. Or we could all come round yours for a roast. I love roast parsnips :)

4. Parsnip crisps now there is an idea, the Jerusalem artichokes can be used as a tattie substitute, so have done mash, roasts, chips (very nice), mash, soups.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Not a fan of artichokes, but the other suggestions (Crisps, chips, soup) seem great.

If all else fails could you donate some of your crop to a local food bank or homeless shelter?:thumright:

6. Then I guess the 'chokes will work as crisps too :)

7. Jerusalem Artichokes are ******* brilliant fart food. All noise and no stench though. They had me an SWMBO in fits of laughter after having tried them. Just roast them with a little garlic and olive oil and let the fun commence.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

8. 123

123 LE

Doesn't food just make you think that the whole world was just designed for you?

So many flavours, from so many sources. Practically everything is food. Such endless possibilities.

9. Ha ! You are so right !! Brilliant Sunday Night entertainment after a roast

10. Lay off the drugs Bro!

• Like Like x 1
  11. F**k...artichokes, my neighbour had 'tons'...get a Pig..!!

12. You've been on the whacky baccy again, haven't you?

13. Parsnip wine

14. 123

123 LE

I swear not gov. For a moment I got caught up in a fleeting wonder of the fact that we can create and eat so many different tasting things.

It just seemed really awesome and special for a moment or two. Cayenne pepper, paprika, red onion, chillis, oregano, steak, peppercorns, apple pie, rhubarb and custard, all the cheeses, breaded haddock. Such limitless choice.

OK, OK, I'm dibbing the spliff now...