A Bit More USMC Propaganda--Enjoy! ;-)

Discussion in 'US' started by jumpinjarhead, May 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From a rather well known (and yes conservative) American commentator who is obviously quite insightful :D :

2. Just finished watching it on Sky TV here in the UK. Very, very good. I'll be buying it on DVD when it comes out later this year. Alreday bought the book.

I wonder which conflict HBO will turn their attention to next?
  3. Colonel,

What I found fascinating in the series was the ending. As a Marine, I had no clue the invasion of Okinawa was completed by primarily the US Army. The Marines had such high casualties, through the entire island hopping campaign, they were pretty much decimated. This is truly an unforgotten aspect to WWII. When you think of that war, most people directly go to Europe.

Very interesting show and I am actually, right now, reading the books by many of the main characters.
  4. I'm guessing that medal will mainly be awarded posthumously.
  5. Here's a link to a book that I've just finished about one of the toughest and the longest campaign of WWII, the British/Indian fight against the Japanses in Burma which lasted from 1942 all the way until the surrender in August 1945. For all the US arrser's out there this worth a read:

I'm not taking anything away from the USMC - at all - but I recommend this to any student of the war in the pacific theatre.
  6. I did the same as I had read them long ago and forgotten a lot of detail. Unfortunately, as was apparent in reading the books, the film shows the heavy hand of the producers own biases (Tom Hanks' overbroad and unfair assertion the the Pacific War was "merely" one of racism) and the rather usual "Hollywood" themes of disrespect for authority etc. (although Leckie's book did have a good deal of this but it was within the context of a larger respect for the Corps etc. that the film did not appear to bother with).

I attended a special premiere showing in Atlanta attended by many WWII Marine veterans (many in pretty bad physical condition) and a number of them left about half way through in disgust. One example of the heavy hand of the producers' and screenwriters' bias was the wholly gratuitous (it was not in any of the books on which the film was supposedly based) cowardly captain in the first battle sequence. While undoubtedly there were those of every rank who may have reacted in that way to battle, to focus in the way they did underscores the usual agenda of most post-modern films that seem unable to depict unambiguous characters.

Your point about the differences in coverage and the resulting general understanding of WWII as between the ETO and PTO has been studied. TA good example of the phenomenon is the D-Day landings that, while immense and strategically very significant, is overshadowed by the Okinawa campaign in terms of scale and, more importantly, casualties--both in terms of rates and numbers.

Here is an excerpt that summarizes this climactic battle:

7. JJ - Cowardly Officer Stereotyping by Hollywood. No! Surely not.

I just finished a good book on the Battle of Okinawa. Quite interestingly it discussed in some detail the Royal Navy's contribution to the battle in supressing Japanese activity in the Sakishima Islands and CAP over the US Fleet. If I can I'll find a linky.
  8. Thanks!!
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Book on the British contribution: 'The Forgotten Fleet' by John Winton. Winton (Lt Cdr J W Pratt RN) was an engineer officer who had served on board a carrier in the 1950s and was involved in a nearly disastrous hangar fire, so understood what he was writing about.

"When Admiral Sir Bruce Fraser hoisted his flag as C-in-C British Pacific Fleet in November 1944, the US Navy had already waged war against the Japanese on a scale the Royal Navy could not hope to match and for the first time in its long history it had to take second position. Nevertheless, on VJ Day in 1945 the British and Commonwealth Fleet consisted of over 600 ships and almost a quarter of a million men - mostly veterans from the war with Germany - and the contribution of this force was not inconsiderable and has never received the recognition it deserves, either at home or from its American ally. Its very arrival in the Pacific was treated by a long period of political controversy and US suspicion, and the fleet faced enormous supply difficulties despite generous American assistance in this area. John Winton provides the first balanced assessment of the British and Commonwealth contribution in the war against Japan and gives an account of British and joint Anglo-American operations which were far more extensive than is generally believed on both sides of the Atlantic" (bookseller's writeup lifted from abebooks.com)
  10. Good reminder. Ships like the Prince of Wales and Repulse also come to mind as well as the many Commonwealth POWs who suffered horribly at the hands of the Japanese.
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

In spite of the Kamikaze inflicting a two-foot dent in her armoured flight deck, HMS Formidable was operating her aircraft (less eleven destroyed in the deckpark) again within six hours.

Formidable to Flag: 'Little Yellow Bastard'. Admiral Vian: 'Are you addressing me?'

OK Jarhead you can have your thread back ..
  13. Not taking anything away from Manchester as a Marine (Navy Cross is never to be taken lightly) but one needs understand this book is more his battle with his personal demons than a representative book of the USMC.
  14. Be grateful Colonel that the USMC doesn't have the same political masters that we have! The last administration here have sold out our Para's with the blatently IRA biased Saville enquiry into Bloody Sunday, this being compounded by Camerons ludicrous apology! :x
  15. Hi JJ.
    Found the book I was talking about

Not bad - Cassell Military Paperbacks republish some great works. War in a Stringbag by Cmdr Charles Lamb and Motor Gunboat 658 by Len Reynolds are great first person books.