A better solution for the opium problem

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Aug 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Hasn't this been said before?

3. Ive always said this, its the closest thing to curing the problem provided the chogis were happy with the price Unfortunately our government couldnt be seen to trade in drugs with "terrorists" as they would like to remain law abiding citizens of course.
    Will it make the taliban go away? doubt it, and in less than2 years lads on the ground in helmand could be being administered morphene for severe injuries caused by the very people that sold it at a bargain price to blightey.
    Dunno just a viewpoint.

4. How much does it cost to keep all the boys and girls in Stan, kitted up and supplied?

Surely if we went to the source and started buying all their stock at a price that they will go for then we can do with it what we will. Whether we burn it or use it to make legitimate medicines, I'm sure it would cost less to buy the opium than to keep everyone tooled up in the Stan?

Am I being a bit simplistic here?

I suppose the big question is how big a supporter of international terrorism are Terry Taliban? If they are happy to just take the money then fine, the big issue would be if the money was used for terrorist purposes. But it has to be said, money talks.

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

MSR old bean - you know somewhere in the ARRSE archives, there's a thread with 100+ pages talking about this very subject at GREAT length!

Naughty!

6. msr

msr LE

About 10 times more than buying up the opium according to the Senlis Council: http://www.senliscouncil.net/

msr

7. msr

msr LE

Hardly, no-one seems to be listening...

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

No, I'm talking about the HUGE debate we had some months ago - about solving the Afghan drugs problem AND the UK shortage of medical opiates.

Can't remember the thread titles however.

9. msr

msr LE

Well, I am talking about the politicians, you know the ones who could actually do something,rather than those who sit behind a keyboard all day long...

msr

10. A bit like when the previous lot said they would have no dialogue with terrorists, whilst passing the hobnobs to Adams, McGuinness and his cronies.

At least talking to Terry about this may have a stabilising influence, and even lead to a legitimate form of local industry in a region that sorely needs it.

11. To be honest, I think it could very severely weaken the Taliban. No illiegal drugs trade to make a killing on so they can pay the disgruntled framers trying to make a living whilst watching a Ben and Jerry act between a dodgy regime saying one thing to the white man whilst making sure they get their cut when white man's not looking to shot at us.....

And Breathe..............

12. I assume that since has already been discussed, then you are aware of the poppy being grown in certain areas of the south of england for medical purposes, at the expense of grain crops. Ignoring the farce that is the bio-fuel crop industry, this must be the stupidest use of government funding (yes, grants are available).

surely we can just buy direct!?!?!? but of course that would make us look like we support the drug trade or something stupid like that ....

13. msr

msr LE

Hemp yes, the poppy no.

msr

14. Buying from the source is all very well until Mr and Mrs Poppy Farmer realise why we are doing it and put the price up by a factor of twenty, knowing we will still pay it.